AIRBAG CODE, AND SPEEDO PROBLEM

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 05:42 PM
PICKUP6772
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AIRBAG CODE, AND SPEEDO PROBLEM

Hi guys,
I have a 97 Aero, 3.0, auto 2wd cargo van with 126,xxx miles. I'm getting a code 24 for the airbag, and was wondering where I need to start. Also, I just replaced the transmission, due to a TCC code. It was alot cheaper than trying to find the the problem. Turns out that the problem was somebody installed the WRONG trans into this truck. The application is 97 ONLY!!!. The P.O. installed a 95 trans, and the puter would not recognize it. But now, since the swap, the speedo is reading 10-15 m.p.h. too fast. Other than that, all codes are gone, and the trans shifts as it should. Back in the day, you would just swap out the speedo cable drive gear to make the correction, but that no longer exists. Short of going to FORD, how can I make the needed correction to my speedo.
Thanks, MIKE

Old 06-07-2011, 01:31 AM
Roger1960
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am not sure, but you either have a spedo gear that is hooked to a sensor or it is just the sensor.

If it is the first case, then you swap the gear and all is good, but I think you have full electronic spedo. I think you need to hook up a programmer and give it the axle ratio and tire size. A trans shop might be able to do this for you.

Again I am not the authority on this subject, but it might be worth a call to a trans shop or the service dept. at Ford.