6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Ford members advise

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 09:02 PM
CornTruckDriver
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i HAVE A 6.0 04 WITH 144000 MILES BUT REALY NO ISSUES i ORDERED A 2011 FIRST WEEK OF MAY BUT HAVNT HEARD IF IT WILL BE MADE OR NOT YET i THINK IT WILL BE PRETTY MUCH THE SAME TRUCK AS A 12 . I WOULD WAIT IF MINE WASNT GETTING SO TIRED. wOULD HAVE REPLACED SOONER IF IT WASNT FOR THE 6.4 PROBLEMS. bY THE WAY MY 02 7.3 WAS A LEMON

Old 06-05-2011, 09:31 PM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by rickatic
Which of these widespread issues you conrtinually talk about have no repairs yet? Here is a post I made on one of the trouble threads, just before you bailed out and started your warranty claim post. By the way, that thread has 30 posts with 3 warranty claims. One of those is mine. Here is why I disagree with the trouble mongers in our midst:

I visit several sites on a regular basis and observe objectively what is being discussed. Many of the forums have the same members and this results in multiple complaints across the web. More people look for sites like this one in times of trouble than those out there enjoying a trouble free truck. My question to you would be "what percentage of the 250,000 plus trucks running around out there have had even one of these issues?".
Agreed...

There are so few people that even know these forums exist that it's amazing to me that anyone takes anything said on any of them as anything more than hearsay. With over 250,000 of these trucks in circulation it seems pretty clear that the new SD is an overwhelming winner. I've talked to friends at 3 Ford dealerships (they're all service people) and they all have the same story....the new SD has been pretty much bulletproof. Few warranty issues...nothing across the board and owners are pleased.

You'll always get some on an online forum that will try to put more value on a few posts than is warranted, but if you use your head you can see through the manipulation and get the real picture. It's not rocket science!

The new diesel SD is a very good choice for those looking for a diesel truck. It's not perfect, but anyone with a functioning logic center shouldn't expect something built by humans to be perfect.

Old 06-05-2011, 09:36 PM
2horses
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You don't say what year your truck is, but regardless that's fairly low miles on it. I had an '06 that I bought used in 2009, so three year old awesome truck with 69K miles on it. But it took me a month of shopping, driving all over Hell's half acre looking at trucks, scouring OASIS reports on every VIN I was interested in, and I wound up with a great, totally problem free truck. It had 108,000 miles on it when it was stolen in April, and I loved that truck like no other I had ever owned.

However, when she was stolen, I chose not to replace her with another 6.0 - I didn't think lightning would strike twice for me. And I didn't feel like going through the sifting process again, it was just too taxing. So I bought new.

There are many things I like about this new model, stuff they just didn't have available five years ago. If it had been up to me, I'd have kept the '06 a lot longer, planned to drive her until the wheels fell off actually. But when I had to make a decision, and make it quickly, for me the right choice was to go new.

So just because your mechanic says your truck is about to fall apart doesn't necessarily make it so, the truth is if it hasn't acted up badly by now, you'll probably be safe for a while longer. If you're just ready for something new, and want to take advantage of the new technology available, then go for it. But I think I'd do like others suggested and wait for the 2012's, since you're not up against a wall or to the point where you're throwing good money after bad on the current one.

Old 06-05-2011, 09:41 PM
tolliewolly
Laughing Gas
Well ford says there will be no changes for 2012. Just a few color changes. Updates have been going on but nothing the average customer would notice. That's what ford said from their rep here in nc

Old 06-05-2011, 09:49 PM
2horses
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
True, but what I heard from my dealer is that they have pretty much used up this year's allotment of the NAV systems. The 2012's get a fresh batch (good lord willing and no more earthquakes in Japan) that I think are supposed to have more features. So if you find something you want already in someone's inventory, that's fine (check your build dates though and try to find one made fairly recently), but if you're looking for one that you might have to order, you might run into an issue with the nav.

Old 06-05-2011, 09:54 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
This thing is one bad **** and I am also in rickatic's camp. Great drivetrain. I do think you may be surprised at the different rear spring rate if you tow trailers or haul weight. Otherwise, I know a couple happy 6.0 owners that have really nice trucks but they salivate over this 6.7. It is one heck of a motor. (as always, just my opinion, drove 789 miles today with small trailer in tow and just love the way it drives)

Old 06-05-2011, 10:26 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2horses
True, but what I heard from my dealer is that they have pretty much used up this year's allotment of the NAV systems. The 2012's get a fresh batch (good lord willing and no more earthquakes in Japan) that I think are supposed to have more features. So if you find something you want already in someone's inventory, that's fine (check your build dates though and try to find one made fairly recently), but if you're looking for one that you might have to order, you might run into an issue with the nav.
Except for the couple of Job 2 changes like the rear sliding window defroster and some minor hitch changes, a Job 1 built truck has the same powertrain and transmission. All the trucks in dealer stock should have any updated programming relevant to that truck installed prior to delivery. My biggest problem with buying a truck with an early build date would be lack of confidence in the dealerships diesel marketing and servicing capabilities. At the rate the new truck has been selling, dealers should not have old inventory.

Regards

Old 06-05-2011, 11:31 PM
ninerM1000
Senior User
I would not hesitate to buy a 2011. I did buy mine used but over 20000 miles on it and it drives amazing.You will be able to buy a 2011 for a lot less than 2012. I must say forums can scare you pretty easy. I bought mine first then joined FTE to learn about it more, seeing I was a chev guy new to fords. I started reading all these posts and was seriously doubting my decision. Your always gonna here some negativity but there's lots of happy guys too.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:18 AM
flaharleyguy
Senior User
There will always be die hard Ford supporters that will go to their grave claiming Ford is the best thing since sliced bread however the 6.7 has issues, Ford cant fix em, all based on my experience as well as several others here. This forum is only a small group of guys that are more passionate about their trucks than the vast majority of Ford truck owners in the world. My truck was great for the first 5000 miles then the problems started. I have spoken with about 10 other 6.7 owners since last year real world at fuel stops, Home Depot etc. 3 had CEL and shifting problems their dealers couldn't fix. Add mine to that number, that's 4 out of 10 or 40% problem trucks. This is the real world. Wait for the 2012 see if they really get a handle on the problems. All my opinion a 2011 is a crap shoot some win some lose.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:41 AM
6.7Fan
Senior User
Just throwing in my 2 cents.... I'm not a "die hard Ford supporter." Previous truck was a GMC and I had my mind set on a Tundra until I decided to buy a bigger boat and look at diesels. I did a great deal of research before deciding on the Ford, and it was because of the new 6.7 engine that I made my decision (hence my screen name selected to join this forum). I've got just under 13,000 miles and my only significant issue was the trucking pulling hard to the left. After 11,000 miles it was determined I had multiple tires with a radial pull (aftermarket tires purchased from a separate tire shop). The tire shop replaced all 4 tires and the truck has driven straight as an arrow since. Had nothing to do with the truck.

I had the erratic shifting for a while, nothing serious, but occassional hunting for gears. I did a battery reset to restart the learning process. Not sure if it was that, or the weather warming up, but my truck has been shifting great for the last 6-8 weeks....so well that I haven't gone in for the new flash.

I love this truck. I haven't regretted the purchase once.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:03 AM
robroy90
Junior User
Same here, my order came in at the end of March, and I have just over 5200 miles on the clock. I haven't had a single issue or problem aside from my own desire to get the latest TSB flashed to my truck. That has been my only trip to the service department thus far. I had observed some transmission quirks, but I also chalk that up to the learning process this truck is apparently capable of.

I also do not consider myself a Ford "die-hard" in fact, for the last 20 years, I owned nothing but GM, so my purchase of a Ford should speak volumes in terms of the confidence I have in the direction Ford is headed in. This also the FIRST time I have EVER purchased a new vehicle in the first year of production after significant changes. That also should say something about my confidence in what Ford has done with this new drivetrain right out of the gate.

Is this truck absolutely perfect? Of course not. Are there some things I could add or change? Absolutely. But, I will tell you this... right now, it is the best choice for a heavy-duty pickup on the market.

Yes, it has had the documented CEL/NOX issues, but GM has had as many or more issues. Pretty bad when you have to disable emissions on your truck in a flash update and then tell customers you will void their warranty if you don't return for another flash after they find and fix the issue.

Dodge? Please. Superior motor in an inferior truck, all the way around.

I did my research, and I could not be happier with my decision. I think if anyone looks at the facts, they would reach the same. Sales numbers speak for themselves and illustrate that many have reached the same logical conclusion.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:12 AM
excaliber551
Elder User
There you go speaking of isolated instances which in reality are are quite common and troubling.

First off let me state I want one of these trucks and as soon as they get the bugs worked out I'm ordering one. I posted about perfect trucks so I could see how many here had trouble free Fords. That was a bit misleading as all with good ones read the title and came forward. You can get any result you want in a poll if you word it correctly.

What you are missing is the other posts that contain 9 hesitation, lack of power/stalling issues.........a dozen or more harsh 2-3 or 4-5 shifting problems.......... 15-20+ CEL issues, 3 locked up tranny other than shifing issues, 3 radiators leaking and replaced etc.......

You can try to discredit anyone who disagrees with you but the facts are here for all to see who actually want to see them.

I see close to a 40% problem rate here + or -. I bet that's pretty close to real life overall. Isolated instnaces these are not. Hopefully those who posted in the other thread about perfect trucks have them stay that way.

I hope Ford can fix the rest of them and offers up free extended warranty to those affected by these issues.

Originally Posted by rickatic
Which of these widespread issues you conrtinually talk about have no repairs yet? Here is a post I made on one of the trouble threads, just before you bailed out and started your warranty claim post. By the way, that thread has 30 posts with 3 warranty claims. One of those is mine. Here is why I disagree with the trouble mongers in our midst:

I visit several sites on a regular basis and observe objectively what is being discussed. Many of the forums have the same members and this results in multiple complaints across the web. More people look for sites like this one in times of trouble than those out there enjoying a trouble free truck. My question to you would be "what percentage of the 250,000 plus trucks running around out there have had even one of these issues?". Even the guys with the "bounce" agree they have an anomaly. They did a survey here of who had what type of truck and did it bounce.

I would go as far to say that if there was a problem, any of the ones you mention, of any magnitude larger than very small in size, the other brands and the press would be all over it. You hear nothing anywhere but here and other sites like this one about these issues. This forum is frequented by several knowledgeable, honest and helpful Ford dealership technicians. These hard working guy's are on the front line when the battle starts with warranty claims and irate customers. You do not see them validating the rush to judgement that these problems are widespread. In fact, some are joking about needing to look for lunch money if the success of the 6.7 continues.

It has been posted here that the new engine is generating warranty claims at the rate of less than one engine warranty claim per one thousand engines. That is an extremely low rate for even a seasoned engine. The low failure rates have added to the problem of resolving troubles like the NOX sensor CEL. The failure samples are so small in number that definite failure patterns have been elusive to say the least.

Those who believe there is a large problem out there with the new power train are certainly entitled to your opinion. However, the numbers do not support your position. My truck has not been perfect...but it has been more than good enough. JMO YMMV

The constant beating of the "problem drum" by a few select members here provides no help for the few among us who have issues. I find it interesting how selective memory affects how problems with the new truck are perceived. Lets talk about the NOX sensor/ CEL problem. The vast majority of these were eliminated when the new programming came out. The success of the repair was directly related to the quality of the Ford service department and the tech. Failure to properly follow the procedures outlined in the TSB caused a re-occurence of the light. The bigger problem was improper diagnosis procedure at the outset of the problem. Far too many dealers short changed the TSB procedures and blamed the problem on the programming. When the programming was released, these dealers ran the update and sent the owner on his way. Had the dealer completed the complete diagnosis process when the truck was first brough in they would have found a truly failed NOX sensor or in fewer instances, a failed DEF tank or pump. All the programming in the world will not fix broken parts.

I'll let the naysayers take their best shot at what the transmission problem was and how it was actually addressed. If you do not know the history it is impossible for you to understand the problem or it's repair chain.

Regards

Old 06-06-2011, 09:04 AM
buckmasters
Senior User
Originally Posted by excaliber551
I see close to a 40% problem rate here + or -. I bet that's pretty close to real life overall. Isolated instnaces these are not. Hopefully those who posted in the other thread about perfect trucks have them stay that way.
You are exactly correct and yet your conclusion is totally flawed. You are correct that the problem rate may be 40% ON HERE (FTE forums). However, there are not 300K 6.7 owners on this website to match the number of trucks being produced and this forum is not a statistically representative sample. You cannot take the percentage you see here and apply it against the entire population of vehicles built. Much like ratings for things you buy online at Best Buy, Amazon, etc., many people only seek out forums or rate products online when they have problems (you start your truck, get a light, think holy crap WTF, and do a google search to look into it). I buy great products all the time and don't answer surveys or post ratings because I expect quality. But if I get a lousy product, you can bet I will make it known.

In the Houston area where I live, these things have been flying off the lots. I have also chatted with other owners outside Home Depot etc. and they have had no issues. But I don't then turn around and make the assumption that these trucks are 100% problem free. I also chatted with the service manager at the dealership before I purchased. They had nothing significant to report. This particular dealership had 60 of these trucks on the lot when I was there (2 of them sold while I was waiting). Wanting a second opinion, I talked to someone else. The service manager of a dealership closer to where I live showed me a list of all the 6.7's they had in since January. The list was about a third of a page long. Some were minor warranty issues (door seals, Nav issues, etc) and 2 were DEF being put into the fuel tank. He did not have any that were related to the transmission or CEL. He said he had a TON of inquires about the flash, but those were mainly people that heard about it and just wanted the latest and greatest (most of them looking for the 400/800 flash).

All I'm trying to say is the truck isn't flaw free and it's not junk either. Go to the Chevy and Dodge forums. There are people there with all kinds of issues and others that claim they've driven 200K miles without even changing the oil. Use these forums for what they are - a great medium to exchange information and meet fellow owners. But don't use them soley to make a diagnosis or draw a firm conclusion as to the overall quality of a product.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:14 AM
CascadeF250
Tuned
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Washington State truck near Cascades no issues in winter or summer. 10,500 trouble free miles. I am not getting the mileage figures that others say they get but am happy with truck. I may drive a little faster than those with the 20ish miles per gallon claims. 17 miles per gallon on the road and around 12 miles per gallon pulling 8000 pound horse trailer. Overall a well built and powerful truck.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:34 AM
tolliewolly
Laughing Gas
Well I do have a dumb question.......does the 6.7 have any egr valves or systems since it has the DEF system?

I was thinking it didnt since it has the DEF system.

Quick Reply: Ford members advise