6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Ford members advise

Old 06-05-2011, 04:37 PM
tolliewolly
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford members advise

I was wanting to get everyones advise on here. I am looking to get a new 6.7 Ford. I can tell this new engine is pretty awesome.

I currently have a 6.0 and love it to death. Great clean truck and never gave me any problems. The only reason I am getting a new truck is for the cooled seats =) and hopefully going to a motor that gets better mileage and dependability. I have not had the first issue with my 6.0 but I know its coming.

What would you guys do? Go ahead and get the 6.7? I know I seem attached to my truck but I dont want it breaking down on me. I know all trucks dont last forever and they show must go on. That 6.7 looks to be an amazing motor.

Throw your opinions at me! I appreciate it!!

Old 06-05-2011, 04:55 PM
nico963
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I am in the same exact position you are in.I really like my 6.0 and would like to have a 6.7,But my truck has been problem free.I'm having the same thoughts you are having too.The reputation the 6.0 has and some of it's design flaws,I too am kinda just waiting for it to break.

Ever since the 6.7 came out,I keep saying to myself "Keep" or "sell
"?

Old 06-05-2011, 04:58 PM
tolliewolly
Laughing Gas
Well my mechanic told me to go get the 6.7. Its an awesome truck and the motor is reliable as all.

I have 89,000 miles on my 6.0 and he said I am headed for an EGR cooler......injectors.......and oil pump. Maybe a turbo.
With all that being said its crazy to put 10 to 12 grand into a truck like that when I can just go get a new truck. He works on alot of 6.0's and he does not sell new trucks. Just an auto mechanic. I am friends with him and he said I need to go while the gettin is good. He said that new 6.7 motor is the ticket. Also I need to trade it in and buy a new one for a write off. =)

Old 06-05-2011, 05:25 PM
flaharleyguy
Senior User
Wait for the 2012 ....maybe Ford will get its act together and fix the issues many of us have like CEL, limp modes, shifting, and on and on. My opinion as an 2011 very unhappy owner. Now the flaming begins as usual

Old 06-05-2011, 06:14 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The 2011 Ford 6.7 debut has blossomed into a resounding success. Although a very small number of trucks have had issues, none have been widespread. Ford will get very close to building 300,000 2011 diesel trucks. With that many trucks, there will be a few isolated problem child's...no matter which brand you buy.

If you do not need a new truck now, waiting for a 2012 is not a bad plan. They will be out in early September.

Old 06-05-2011, 06:26 PM
excaliber551
Elder User
Don't believe the isolated problem line. Many of these trucks have issues that as of right now have no fix. It's your call if you want to flip a coin. You might get a good one as many in the other post have or you will get one with CEL problems and Transmission issues maybe both.

Right now it looks like there are close to as many people here with problems as there are without.

Do a search here for all the current problems people on this forum are experiencing.

This new engine looks like a winner but there are definitely some bugs that need to be ironed out. Seeing as you have been one of the lucky ones with a 6.0 with no issues, rolling the dice on this first year 6.7 is pretty gutsy.

If it were me I'd keep your rig until Ford gets the bugs worked out on these trucks.

Old 06-05-2011, 06:36 PM
tolliewolly
Laughing Gas
Ok so what are the 6.7 problems?

Old 06-05-2011, 07:07 PM
vloney
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tolliewolly
Ok so what are the 6.7 problems?
Northern climates had an issue with nox sensors and programming for the same. The 6.7s "learning" of driver habits and changing shift schedules to acommodate has been somewhat of an issue. New programming has been issued to repair this "problem". Theres been isolated reports of blowing out injectors, but other than that, nothing major.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:25 PM
tolliewolly
Laughing Gas
Well that don't seem as bad as a 6.0

Old 06-05-2011, 07:44 PM
maistroyoda
Mountain Pass
I had a 6.0 that I was happy with but the extra $ is worth the peace of mind. And the big difference in fuel economy pays a little back

Old 06-05-2011, 07:59 PM
tolliewolly
Laughing Gas
Yea the 6.7 fuel mileage is a big attraction.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:02 PM
Y2KPSD
Senior User
No Issues

Job 2
Just finished a 3000 mile trip, 7000 total.
No issues, since new....

Old 06-05-2011, 08:31 PM
excaliber551
Elder User
Originally Posted by tolliewolly
Yea the 6.7 fuel mileage is a big attraction.
What kind of mileage are you seeing with your rig unloaded city/freeway?

Old 06-05-2011, 08:58 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by excaliber551
Don't believe the isolated problem line. Many of these trucks have issues that as of right now have no fix. It's your call if you want to flip a coin. You might get a good one as many in the other post have or you will get one with CEL problems and Transmission issues maybe both.

Right now it looks like there are close to as many people here with problems as there are without.

Do a search here for all the current problems people on this forum are experiencing.

This new engine looks like a winner but there are definitely some bugs that need to be ironed out. Seeing as you have been one of the lucky ones with a 6.0 with no issues, rolling the dice on this first year 6.7 is pretty gutsy.

If it were me I'd keep your rig until Ford gets the bugs worked out on these trucks.
Which of these widespread issues you conrtinually talk about have no repairs yet? Here is a post I made on one of the trouble threads, just before you bailed out and started your warranty claim post. By the way, that thread has 30 posts with 3 warranty claims. One of those is mine. Here is why I disagree with the trouble mongers in our midst:

I visit several sites on a regular basis and observe objectively what is being discussed. Many of the forums have the same members and this results in multiple complaints across the web. More people look for sites like this one in times of trouble than those out there enjoying a trouble free truck. My question to you would be "what percentage of the 250,000 plus trucks running around out there have had even one of these issues?". Even the guys with the "bounce" agree they have an anomaly. They did a survey here of who had what type of truck and did it bounce.

I would go as far to say that if there was a problem, any of the ones you mention, of any magnitude larger than very small in size, the other brands and the press would be all over it. You hear nothing anywhere but here and other sites like this one about these issues. This forum is frequented by several knowledgeable, honest and helpful Ford dealership technicians. These hard working guy's are on the front line when the battle starts with warranty claims and irate customers. You do not see them validating the rush to judgement that these problems are widespread. In fact, some are joking about needing to look for lunch money if the success of the 6.7 continues.

It has been posted here that the new engine is generating warranty claims at the rate of less than one engine warranty claim per one thousand engines. That is an extremely low rate for even a seasoned engine. The low failure rates have added to the problem of resolving troubles like the NOX sensor CEL. The failure samples are so small in number that definite failure patterns have been elusive to say the least.

Those who believe there is a large problem out there with the new power train are certainly entitled to your opinion. However, the numbers do not support your position. My truck has not been perfect...but it has been more than good enough. JMO YMMV

The constant beating of the "problem drum" by a few select members here provides no help for the few among us who have issues. I find it interesting how selective memory affects how problems with the new truck are perceived. Lets talk about the NOX sensor/ CEL problem. The vast majority of these were eliminated when the new programming came out. The success of the repair was directly related to the quality of the Ford service department and the tech. Failure to properly follow the procedures outlined in the TSB caused a re-occurence of the light. The bigger problem was improper diagnosis procedure at the outset of the problem. Far too many dealers short changed the TSB procedures and blamed the problem on the programming. When the programming was released, these dealers ran the update and sent the owner on his way. Had the dealer completed the complete diagnosis process when the truck was first brough in they would have found a truly failed NOX sensor or in fewer instances, a failed DEF tank or pump. All the programming in the world will not fix broken parts.

I'll let the naysayers take their best shot at what the transmission problem was and how it was actually addressed. If you do not know the history it is impossible for you to understand the problem or it's repair chain.

Regards

Old 06-05-2011, 08:59 PM
fldave
Junior User

Build date 8/10, currently have the 400/800 flash before taking delivery in Sept 2010, have 4000 miles with no issue. Did my first pull of 130 miles one way pulling a boat of about 12000 lbs and averaged 10mpg.

This is a Florida truck if that makes any difference in the NOX sensor issues they've had up north.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ford members advise