Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hellwig install issue (maybe)

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 05:08 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 931 Likes on 679 Posts
Few more pics. Took off the driveshaft to get at the pinion seal, was leaking. (no leeky any more ). Made the install a little easier, but probably not required.

Attached Images    
Old 06-15-2011, 05:17 PM
jh818
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Sean, did you have to shorten the metal sleeve on the links when you drilled the new hole to make it leveled? Or, did you just drill that hole higher up to compensate?

Old 06-15-2011, 05:47 PM
beefcake
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll be honest. I have no interest in buying a sway bar for a vehicle, that doesn't fit the vehicle.

A sway bar is one of the easiest bolt in modifications you can do, and it seems like none of these go on right.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:21 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by jh818
Sean, did you have to shorten the metal sleeve on the links when you drilled the new hole to make it leveled? Or, did you just drill that hole higher up to compensate?

No, I didn't shorten the sleeve, just drilled the hole forward and a bit higher to compensate. If I ever upgrade to the V/B mod springs, I may be able to go back to the original hole since the spring pack would be thicker and may factor into the angle of the link. Or my leaves have sagged abit and may also factor into the angle.

I hear ya beef, but I really enjoy the tweaking part.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:21 PM
gotgig
Junior User
I could be wrong, but I thought the 4x4 hellwig install is easier and probably not the same issue... is that right?

Old 06-15-2011, 06:29 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Good question, I figured that end of the truck was the same 2x4 or 4x4. Same axle, springs, mounting points, etc. Sure someone will clarify for us.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:00 PM
labman1014
Elder User
Originally Posted by wpnaes
Good question, I figured that end of the truck was the same 2x4 or 4x4. Same axle, springs, mounting points, etc. Sure someone will clarify for us.
The 4x4 adds the rear block which means the axle to frame distance is different than 4x2.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:58 PM
jh818
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by labman1014
The 4x4 adds the rear block which means the axle to frame distance is different than 4x2.
Correct. Those rear window struts are different lengths between a 2WD and 4WD. 2WD struts are longer. Ford was concerned that in a 4WD, it would be too high and hit the garage door?

Old 06-25-2011, 03:33 PM
Beau Bo
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Beau Bo
Just installed mine yesterday. Bar is shifted a slight bit to one side and hard up against the rear diff. Doesn't seem right but unless there is a defect that's the way they are. Doesn't appear right but EX sure handles better. Was actually able to take my hands off the steering and it tracked straight going 75 down the "I"...

Just to close the loop on this. Emailed and talked to the folks at Helwig and they got me straightened out. Fits great and aligned perfectly. Much better handling than before, don't notice any wandering whatsoever. Good customer support and probably the best mod I've done in a while...

Old 06-25-2011, 03:41 PM
bergy 2000
Senior User
What did you do or change to make it work better? My bar should be sitting at my house if not ealy next week. Thaey bent me a custom bar to fit the specs I gave them. Their customer service is #1

Old 06-25-2011, 05:43 PM
Beau Bo
Freshman User
Originally Posted by bergy 2000
What did you do or change to make it work better? My bar should be sitting at my house if not ealy next week. Thaey bent me a custom bar to fit the specs I gave them. Their customer service is #1

Ha!, Rather embarressed to say. Lets just leave it as I took the advice of someone to throw out the directions and it would be obvious on how to put it together, it wasn't (at least to me). Also they changed the design in 2005 so some of the pics on here from older installs don't match up with the current product. Try to follow the directions and giive what you are doing a regular sanity check and you should be good...

Old 07-01-2011, 03:37 AM
bergy 2000
Senior User
Ok... As promised I would post back when I all was finished. I received the new bar and links in the mail. Hellwig custom bent the bar and the links are completely different. I removed the old bar and links installed everything and tighten her down. If you look at the pics you will see that the bar is still not perfectly level but definatly a lot better. The pic is when I dont have air in my air bags as well. I usualy run around 40lbs and that helps get the bar level as well.It now clears everything fine and no chance of hitting something it shouldnt. The links seem a lot stronger as well but arent adjustable. If they were, I would be able to get the bar a level. I may look and see if I can raise the links to the upper hole. If so that would make it level too. The new links do have a swivel adapter on the bottom which will help. I think all in all Hellwig has gone above and beyond to make this correct. I would buy from them again without hesitation. Its hard to find a company in todays economy that stands behind their product as Hellwig has done. I hope this helps anyone who may have a problem. If you need any info from Hellwig ask for Dave Wheeler.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:14 AM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
Received 2,109 Likes on 560 Posts
I think the legroom on that red jeep could be an issue.

Thanks for the pics.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:37 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by wpnaes
If I ever upgrade to the V/B mod springs, I may be able to go back to the original hole since the spring pack would be thicker and may factor into the angle of the link. Or my leaves have sagged abit and may also factor into the angle.
Update, I made the V/C mod rear spring swap and reinstalled the Hellwig after a year of sitting on the garage floor. The bar was way to close to the speed sensor so I reversed the sensor wire - no chance of collision with the bar now.

Old 09-14-2014, 08:52 PM
TheCurtster
Senior User
It lives!

Bringing this thread back from the dead....

Amazon delivered my Hellwig bar the other day, and some have complained that the directions were somewhat lacking. Better than mine, since I got no instructions at all! It looks sorta straight forward (yeah, just like all the other projects). Maybe I can talk one of my SoCal brothers into coming by to help?

Curt

Quick Reply: hellwig install issue (maybe)