Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 06:59 PM
sammatt1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Km1210
Nice work there. Looks good.

Did you use used motor oil?

I need to stop procrasinating and do the same to my truck.

Winter is approaching!

Yes. Its used motor oil. I have about 15 qts of oil in my garage so I figured I'll put them to use and I also hate rust.

I will check the underside for the next few weeks and re apply if needed. I'm planning of oiling at least once a year.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:40 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Looks good. I wouldn't worry about more coats within a week or so, just the once a year is good. Sometimes it take the whole year for the rest of the loose rust to fall off from the oil.

Old 10-27-2012, 01:04 AM
ramsay
Senior User
Here in Canada there are a lot of rust prevention companies the top two being Krown Rust Control (h t t p://www.krown.com/process.php)and Rust Check. (h t t p://www.rustcheck.ca/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=71)I work at a body shop that is a Rust Check dealer and I can say from what I have seen, it is well worth the money....
One thing I will say is that the product is not as important as the application. The best product in the world is junk if it isn't where it needs to be.
A few other names are rustblock, oil skin and ziebart. You couldn't pay me to use Ziebart though.

Old 10-27-2012, 09:16 AM
BroncoRN
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Would rhino lining under side do anything?

Old 10-28-2013, 03:00 PM
sammatt1
Senior User
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
Looks good. I wouldn't worry about more coats within a week or so, just the once a year is good. Sometimes it take the whole year for the rest of the loose rust to fall off from the oil.

Snowseeker -
I just resprayed the undercarriage of the Ex with used oil over the weekend.

First thing I noticed was there were a lot of loose rust falling off the frame of the Ex. I was not sure if this was a good or bad thing -- not certain if the oil from last year accelerated the rusting process.

But per your comment above, sounds like its normal to have loose rust due to the oil. It might take a few years to get rid of majority of the rust chunks.

Old 10-28-2013, 04:46 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
This is my first year out of Tx. to somewhere North. I'm in Va. now so the salt will be coming soon. Looks like I need to change the wife's oil and get a sprayer I assume there is no problem with using full synthetic?

Old 10-28-2013, 05:09 PM
ycis
Senior User
I find axle grease stays on significantly longer than oil...

least it does on the leaf springs of my boat trailer...and ive tried it all to keep them from rusting.

Old 10-28-2013, 06:01 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by sammatt1
Snowseeker -
I just resprayed the undercarriage of the Ex with used oil over the weekend.

First thing I noticed was there were a lot of loose rust falling off the frame of the Ex. I was not sure if this was a good or bad thing -- not certain if the oil from last year accelerated the rusting process.

But per your comment above, sounds like its normal to have loose rust due to the oil. It might take a few years to get rid of majority of the rust chunks.

When I saw this thread bumped up I hoped someone had a one year update. Yes it is normal to lose the loose rust within the first year or two after being sprayed and I believe I mentioned this earlier in this thread. The oil kills the rust which in turn makes the flaked up rust loosen up and fall off. In the end you will have all solid good metal with an oil coating and no loose and flaking rust left killing the frame.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:37 PM
sammatt1
Senior User
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
When I saw this thread bumped up I hoped someone had a one year update. Yes it is normal to lose the loose rust within the first year or two after being sprayed and I believe I mentioned this earlier in this thread. The oil kills the rust which in turn makes the flaked up rust loosen up and fall off. In the end you will have all solid good metal with an oil coating and no loose and flaking rust left killing the frame.
I'm glad to know that its normal -- i was afraid i made the things worse.

Thx for all the help.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:54 PM
Technologiq
Elder User
Anyone use POR-15? I'm debating on doing the underside of my truck. My lovely city decided to move to Brine after simply using sand for years.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:08 PM
AndrewWV
Senior User
Originally Posted by Technologiq
Anyone use POR-15? I'm debating on doing the underside of my truck. My lovely city decided to move to Brine after simply using sand for years.
You've got to be sure to cover EVERYTHING. If you leave a seam anywhere (even on the other side of the panel) where water can get in, you'll just create a place for water to accumulate and it will eventually come through the paint.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:12 PM
Technologiq
Elder User
Sounds like it would be safer to brush this on than spray?

Old 10-28-2013, 10:02 PM
TC PSD Excursion
Junior User
my excursion was factory ziebarted in 2000. I live in northern michigan and they use salt and lots of it. i was thinking of wire brushing the rust and painting and then rubberized undercoating but i believe i will do this instead.
Thanks for another great tip guys.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:14 AM
AndrewWV
Senior User
Originally Posted by Technologiq
Sounds like it would be safer to brush this on than spray?
It's not so much whether you brush or spray IMO. For instance, I painted all around the pinch joints on mine, but because water can get up above and inside the pinch joints from underneath, it isn't holding up as well as I'd hoped. Water is working its way out through the rocker panels on both sides. I'm contemplating spraying fluid film or just oil on the back side to see if that slows it down.

You can probably get most of the frame and the axles enough to last for a little while. Surface prep is the most important part of POR-15, though, and there is A LOT of surface under there to prep.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:30 AM
housedad
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Forget the oil and mess. Use Eastwood rust encapsulator followed by a decent undercoat or chassis paint. Great stuff.

Quick Reply: To oil spray, or not to oil spray?