1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Anti Rattle clips

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 07:55 PM
mrshults
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anti Rattle clips

I replaced the front brake pads on my 2004 Expedition and later noticed a scraping noise. I found that the passenger anti rattle clip had come loose and was rubbing against the aluminum wheel. I thought I bumped it while installing the tire, so I reattached it and all seemed well. After a couple of days the noise was back. I was able to push the clip closer to the pad and went on my way.

This afternoon the clipped slid out toward the wheel and bagan scraping again. While trying to push it back, it fell off. My question is, as I am about to leave for a short trip in the AM, do I tkae it to Midas, since I can't keep it on or just leave it off?

Old 06-02-2011, 11:18 PM
dirtslmfan_25
Freshman User
Maybe, could you have bent it a little while doing the pads? Auto zone or Advanced has a kit with them in it. The clips were rusted on my 04 F150 so I got the kit to replace the bad clips for my brake job.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:38 PM
mtondreo
Senior User
I had completely left mine off because of the scraping as well. the aftermarket rotors I put on seemed to be a lot thicker and I could not fit them on. I figured I would wait til the pads wore down some and try and put them on. Reminds I guess I should check that now - but it ain't broke or making noise, so I will probably just leave it. Hope this helps, Mike.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:27 PM
Todd Fuller
Mountain Pass
Not sure if this is the same exact issue with my 2003 Eddie Bauer - Ford Expedition but here goes:

Exactly four weeks ago I bought brand new front disc rotors (original rotors turned once already and had 107000 miles), and, premium ceramic disk pads also for the front, all through NAPA, and had them installed the same day by a local mechanic.

All seemed well until today, in fact, just before sunset. While driving home with a full gas can in the cabin for lawn equipment, I had the windows down to vent air. Not something you normally due in the hot, humid south this time of year - having windows down this time of year.

I heard a faint squealing noise on the right side. Got home and found the root cause.

A spring/clip looking thing you can see through the wheel hub was slightly loose, and rubbing against the inside of the wheel rim.

With the windows up, you never hear it. There is also no other symptoms and braking action is unaffected.

Is this a dealer part, if so the PN? I think it is called the "anchor housing spring" according to my Chilton's manual, or it might be the "anti rattle clip." Maybe those two are the same thing. It is clearly now damaged. It has also worn the inside of each of the five "spokes" of the wheel rim to varying degrees of depthness. The deepest groove on one of the five "spokes" is almost 1/4" deep and is pictured below.

Obviously, I will call the installing mechanic first thing in the morning.
But looking for ideas as soon as possible.
Also, he has me buy my own parts, so I wonder if I need to buy a new spring/clip thing?

Thanks for any tips.

first pic: between my fingers is the spring/clip that is loose and rubbing note the silver looking edge due to rubbing. (front passenger tire)
click here to see first pic: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2K...it?usp=sharing

second pic: at end of finger the largest groove worn by spring/clip in the five wheel spokes
click here to see second pic:https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2K...it?usp=sharing

third pic: for comparative purposes, the spring/clip on the front driver tire that is not rubbing.
click here to see third pic: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2K...it?usp=sharing

Old 07-31-2014, 12:25 PM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
I just did the brakes on my expedition (06) and had the exact same thing happen. after 2 days of driving on our washboard gravel i heard a "rattling" sound from the Driver's side front.

My solution, and my suggestion, was to order a caliper hardware kit from NAPA. for $32 you get the caliper tension spring, all the anti-rattle hardware, and new rubber grommets for the caliper. one kit does both front wheels.

if you want to spend only $25, you can get just the caliper tension springs and not the rest of the hardware.

when reinstalling them, hook one of the inner ears into the caliper and then get both outer ears on the caliper bracket. then push the center of the spring toward the caliper to hook the other inner ear into the caliper.

it is more work doing it this way than just hooking both inner ears in the caliper and using a big screwdriver to hook the outer ears over the caliper bracket, BUT you don't take the chance of bending the outter ears of the tension spring such that they are likely to fall off. I think this is where i went wrong the first time.

IMO, anytime you do the brakes, just replace those silly springs and be done with it. it isn't worth the money saved to have to do the job twice.

also, IMO, i would NOT just go without. that tension spring is there to hold the front side of the caliper tight against the pads. without the spring installed, the front of the caliper will float away from the rotor. this will cause the pads to wear in a non-parallel fashion at best, or worse - under hard braking there would be nothing from stopping the outside of the caliper from continuing to rotate away from the rotor and you could damage the caliper, or the caliper bracket (or lose the brakes!)

just my thoughts and experiences.

Old 07-31-2014, 04:06 PM
Todd Fuller
Mountain Pass
Ok thanks. Went to my mechanic today. He temporarily fixed the clip. He thought he had a replacement wheel since the clip marred up the rim but doesn't. He told me to call him when he is back from vacation to set up replacement of the wheel and clip, but for now he fixed the current anti-rattle clip to keep it secure and out of the way of rotation.

Old 08-02-2014, 11:00 AM
alloro
Received 4,194 Likes on 2,430 Posts
Originally Posted by Todd Fuller
Went to my mechanic today.
Going back to who did the install is always the best first course of action.