1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 07:00 AM
ckpaulk
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suspension

I pull a living quarter horse trailer and also just bought a new F250. In my last one I had a rubber block suspension to elliminate the squat. I took it to do the same with this one and the shop reccommended air bag suspension because it would ride smoother when not hauling. Is this something I need and will it make a large amount of difference? Also before anyone laughs I know nothing about this kinda stuff, just a girl trying to get to a horse show.
Thanks for the help

Old 05-30-2011, 07:10 AM
twall_SD250
Senior User
no question is funny or stupid out here.i have gotten alot of help and questions answered out here. Air bags are becoming more and more popular an constructed better these days. you are defently gonna get a better ride and keep the rear end from squatting while you tow your trailer

Old 05-30-2011, 08:04 AM
fbnmark
Junior User
go with the air bags. rubber blocks give a very harsh ride

Old 05-30-2011, 12:16 PM
wizardsr
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
By rubber blocks, you're probably referring to Timbrens. Both are good options, but I would only put timbrens on a truck hauling all the time, as they create a harsh ride unloaded. Air bags on the other hand are more adjustable, provide a smoother ride unloaded, and are about the same price. They do however get more expensive if you want an on-board compressor. I've had both on several trucks and prefer the air bags.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:01 AM
ckpaulk
New User
Thank yall sooooooo much! I do not haul all the time so i guess air is the way to go. There was mention of on-board compressor so it got me wondering. If I go to a horse show and unhook to eat etc. do I need to let air out then fill up when hooking back up? If so I will need to always carry compressor with me, right?

Old 05-31-2011, 08:03 AM
ckpaulk
New User
Also is there a certain name brand to get... I may have to get whatever is offered here but would like to know what if one is better than other.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:05 AM
SGnAZ
Posting Guru
Air Lift Co - Air Lift Air Springs - Air Springs & Accessories - Camping World
I'm not endorsing the above site,nothing wrong with them.just showing you an option.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:18 AM
SGnAZ
Posting Guru
And BTW,Welcome to FTE

Old 05-31-2011, 09:26 AM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

Received 664 Likes on 424 Posts
I don't think you really need an on-board compressor. Just put your air bags up where you want them when you hook up before a trip and leave them there until you return. Even if you unhook the trailer, you can drive around with pressure in the air bags, you'll just have a little harsher ride. When you get home, let them back down to minimum pressure.

Have you weighed the truck with and without the trailer yet? Before I went about modifying the suspension, I'd make sure I had enough tongue or pin weight on the truck to warrant it. These trucks can handle quite a bit stock and there is no point spending money you don't need to.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:01 AM
ckpaulk
New User
I havent weighed it but it squats really low when I hook up. To be honest would not know how or where to weigh it
And yes thanks FTE

Old 05-31-2011, 11:22 AM
mtdigger
Senior User
Welcome ck....let the air out when empty is my recommendation...the ride is tough with no weight, also wet traction is nill, catscales.com...find a nearby location, I think its about 15 bucks and you get a certified weight...good luck, the horses deserve a safe and comfy ride too my guys get it

Old 05-31-2011, 11:25 AM
lakedweller
Elder User
I had air bags on my last truck and I did not put an on board compressor. I bought a portable 12v compressor and it worked great. If you go that route make sure you have a long enough cord so you can reach the air inlet. A $20 compressor trumps a $200+ compressor.

Old 05-31-2011, 04:42 PM
ckpaulk
New User
Thanks everyone, one last question. We only have one true truck accessary place and they use firestone air bags. I guess these are ok???

Old 05-31-2011, 04:52 PM
mtdigger
Senior User
Yes, they've been making them for semi trucks for years....mine came with air lift, but I would've gotten firestones. When the brackets rust away ill replace them with the firestone kit

Old 05-31-2011, 07:27 PM
mwsF250
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I am using the Firestone bags, and they are perfectly adequate. As others said, the Timbrens have their place, but most find air bags better suited for multi-purpose vehicles. Not mentioned yet is that it is easy to air up until truck is back to stock ride height so headlights do not need re-aiming.

I used one of the $20 "rattle box" compressors for years. They actually work quite well to inflate air bags as the bags have relatively low volume. The rattle box can air them up within a couple minutes.
You can drive with no load and inflated bags, but it does ride hard. Hard like an old military one ton truck hard.

I then added on board air to fulfill a few desires. Having the switch on the dash is SWEET. Quite handy to be able to air down to lower the truck for loading, or air up for additional ground clearance when offroading.

Quick Reply: Suspension