6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

egr delete

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 09:47 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BLADE35
thats good to know

that kit looked well made compared to some of the others

I looked at the weld on the new pipe it looked good
but they probably dont x-ray the weld

Im shure theres a few cases where after some hot/cold cycles the weld cracks

Yea, it does happen on occasion. Just wanted to mention that in case you did have some power robbing situations to think about looking there as well.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:47 PM
joe blow
Cargo Master
Received 338 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by tex25025
Here we go again. Regardless if you are subject to smogs or not, this is still against the law. Smog checking just increases the odds of you getting caught. Even some areas that don't have smog checking for diesels will still fine you for it if they notice other things that give them cause to pull you over.

Also, for those that don't care all that much about the above, think of resale. If you have to resale the truck with an EGR delete to someone that is subject to smogs, I doubt they will buy your truck unless you agree to put it all back in there and if you don't tell them it's missing that equipment that'll be even a bigger bill for you.

However, bottom line is don't think that just because you don't have smog checks in your area doesn't mean that what you are doing is still against federal law. In all honesty, if y'all still want to do it that's fine that's you running the risk, but at least have the facts straight about the legal aspects that way they can make a fully informed decision.

For someone like me who is planning to keep this truck for the next ten years, it is well worth it. I understand your stance and highly respect your opinions but not sure why you get so worked up over people deleting the EGR cooler. I understand that EPA regulations are there but if I am not mistaken, you run a highly modified vehicle that I am pretty sure is not considered EPA friendly. I drive next to school buses and OTR trucks everyday that pollute 100 fold over mine so I am not worried about my truck that burns clean.

When I did mine there was no alternative, other than plugging the up pipe. If the bulletproof was out then I may have considered it....but it wasn't so I went with the delete and do not regret it.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:04 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by joe blow
I understand your stance and highly respect your opinions but not sure why you get so worked up over people deleting the EGR cooler. I understand that EPA regulations are there
It's not the fact of deleting the cooler that get's me as worked up as the fact that people seem to think that if they don't have emissions testing that it isn't illegal to delete the cooler. That's what gets me more then the actual deleting itself. They aren't aware of all of the ramnifications of their decision. That is what has also lead to somewhat of a black stain on the 6.0's reputation as well.

Originally Posted by joe blow
but if I am not mistaken, you run a highly modified vehicle that I am pretty sure is not considered EPA friendly.
As the testing is done now, I'm clean. Not only by opacity but also that I do have my emissions equipment (and original ones at that, but I'm lucky I guess) fully functional. There are still gobs of power that you can get with these trucks and still have emissions controls. Requires a little more work maybe, a little more knowledge of what is going on, but very doable.

I think that there are a lot of misperceptions with the EGR delete.

Bare in mind as well, who knows were emissions regulations are going to be in 10 yrs. You might either have to put emissions controls back in or find a way to get rid of it or something like that. I don't think regulations are going to get easier within those 10 yrs that's for sure.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:58 PM
iguana
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I think that I will go with the repair kit instead of the delete no one out there seamed to be able to say the delete add x amount of horsepower and soforth. Yes I will be tackeling the work mused I'm thinking about the oil cooler also any benefits from the bullet proof? I would like to add the coolant filter any good ones out there?

Old 05-29-2011, 07:53 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by iguana
Well I think that I will go with the repair kit instead of the delete no one out there seamed to be able to say the delete add x amount of horsepower and soforth.
No, I doubt people will be able to do that. Mainly because when people do the EGR delete they also add other stuff to the truck as well that do directly add HP. What people would have to do is dyno it as a stock truck than with just the EGR detele and than as they add each additional modification dyno the truck again. Of course, they would also have to dyno it on the same machine with the same operator on days that have similiar aspects (barometric pressure, humidity, how far above sea level etc) as those all play a part. It's very tedious and people aren't going to go such lengths as that, but that's the kind of testing that you have to do to say definitively that it did add "X" amount of HP with regard to one specific mod. But unfortunately, people do more than one at a time for the most part.

Old 05-29-2011, 01:25 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts
Well I think that I will go with the repair kit instead of the delete no one out there seamed to be able to say the delete add x amount of horsepower and soforth. Yes I will be tackeling the work mused I'm thinking about the oil cooler also any benefits from the bullet proof? I would like to add the coolant filter any good ones out there?
the egr deleate is more of a reliablity mod than a preformance mod it may gain a little power IDK

FWIW I figure the egr cooler is causing some of the golden goo in the oil coolers . all that flash boiling and high exhaust temps aint good for the coolant. I did mine to try and save the oil cooler from clogging down the road

Old 05-29-2011, 01:35 PM
iguana
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So basically the delete kit is more of a reliability issue than performance mod? What about the bullet proof egr cooler or the sinister cooler would those have the necessary flow to prevent failure in the future?

Old 05-29-2011, 01:44 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
So basically the delete kit is more of a reliability issue than performance mod?
Not really. The underlying issue is the Oil Cooler and lack of flow to the EGR cooler. When the Oil Cooler get's plugged up you have an EGR cooler failure.

What happened is that people didn't realize that it was the oil cooler as the root cause or Ford didn't know or want to fix more parts than they had to while it was under warranty, so the next EGR cooler went. That led to people thinking that the EGR is the root cause when it really is the Oil Cooler.

You delete the EGR cooler you might still go digging around there to fix the oil cooler. It's less of a reliability mod then what most people think.

Old 05-29-2011, 04:13 PM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
the egr deleate is more of a reliablity mod than a preformance mod it may gain a little power IDK

FWIW I figure the egr cooler is causing some of the golden goo in the oil coolers . all that flash boiling and high exhaust temps aint good for the coolant. I did mine to try and save the oil cooler from clogging down the road
Personally, I agree with BLADE on this one, that the super heating of the coolant is causing degradation of coolant, which results in solids forming within the coolant that will in effect build up and clog the oil cooler. The root cause, IMO is the exposure of coolant to the extreme temps of the exhaust passing through the egr cooler. Removing the WART would discontinue the exposure of coolant to super heated exhaust gas. The oil cooler might be a crappy design, having too small of passages which can clog easily, but causing solids in the cooling system will certainly speed up the failure of the oil cooler, if my theory is correct... And I personally think it is, so I understand the thinking of deleting the EGR cooler. Once again, that mod is a personal decision and one needs to understand the risks of (I suppose) possibly getting caught, or finding that they one day need to bite the bullet and re-install it when/if smog inspections begin for diesels in their area.
Another good idea, to save your oil cooler from eventual failure, is to install a coolant filter.

Old 05-29-2011, 04:25 PM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
So basically the delete kit is more of a reliability issue than performance mod? What about the bullet proof egr cooler or the sinister cooler would those have the necessary flow to prevent failure in the future?
IF BLADE and I are correct. I reiterate IF... Then the bullet proof cooler would still subject the coolant to exhaust gasses. Whether the Bullet Proof cooler might somehow protect the coolant by letting it flow through faster, or whatever, I have no idea. The bullet proof cooler, as I figure, is a better design to longevity of the EGR cooler, not the oil cooler. If the coolant is still being super heated, and formation of solids are occurring, then the oil cooler will still clog and fail.

Old 05-29-2011, 04:40 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Coolant is going to degrade no matter what, with or without the EGR Cooler. If you are worried that much about the degradation of the coolant do the flush every 50k instead of 100k (or whatever flush cycle suites you the most). Of course, it also depends on what type of coolant you use. You might even think of going to the Evan's Waterless Coolant (I don't know how good that is, I just know at this time it's an option).

Removing the EGR Cooler is still not going to solve the chance you take with the small passageways of the Oil Cooler. That's what you want to worry about. I know of 3 people here in town that still have had to have their oil coolers replaced despite not having an EGR Cooler and their coolers were still plugged. So there is still something else going on.

Old 05-29-2011, 04:55 PM
vloney
Postmaster

Originally Posted by olfordsnstone
Personally, I agree with BLADE on this one, that the super heating of the coolant is causing degradation of coolant, which results in solids forming within the coolant that will in effect build up and clog the oil cooler. The root cause, IMO is the exposure of coolant to the extreme temps of the exhaust passing through the egr cooler. Removing the WART would discontinue the exposure of coolant to super heated exhaust gas............................................... .................................................. ..........
Another good idea, to save your oil cooler from eventual failure, is to install a coolant filter.
HMMMMM. how hot do you think it is surrounding the cylinders?

Old 05-29-2011, 05:52 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Originally Posted by vloney
HMMMMM. how hot do you think it is surrounding the cylinders?
very true but the coolant has better flow through the heads the egr cooler gets whatever the plugged oil cooler will let it have
alot better odds of boiling coolant in the egr cooler than around the heads

just my.02

Old 05-29-2011, 06:18 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Originally Posted by tex25025
. I know of 3 people here in town that still have had to have their oil coolers replaced despite not having an EGR Cooler and their coolers were still plugged. So there is still something else going on.
some still have the problem of casting sand and need a coolant filter

I think that some had there oil cooler replaced but didnt get a good flush and just plugged the new oil cooler

did any of those guys cut the second oil cooler apart to see what was clogging it up

Old 05-29-2011, 06:18 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
very true but the coolant has better flow through the heads the egr cooler gets whatever the plugged oil cooler will let it have
alot better odds of boiling coolant in the egr cooler than around the heads

just my.02

It still degrades the coolant. Better flow or not, it is "stress" to the coolant. Causes precipitates to form and thus plugged oil cooler.

It's a vicious cycle actually and there really isn't a 100% cure, which is what people are hocking with the EGR delete.

Quick Reply: egr delete