6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Transmission Stuck in 5th

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 10:12 PM
marchare011
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This thread must have jinxed me. This evening I was driving my elderly mother home and I looked down at the gear selector and there was no 6. WTH! I rarely use manual and had not on this trip. I placed the shift lever in M and back to D and it corrected the issue. WHEW! Weird tranny stuff. I'll be watching this thing.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:21 AM
Part-Timer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update: A couple of hours before I left for my whitetail hunt last week, the dealer told me that they had found the problem - apparently the throttle control module (TCM) was bad and needed to be replaced. The part was not available anywhere in Canada and had to come from somewhere down south. Told me it would take a week. Well, the week's up and still no part.

Never heard of a TCM before, so I'll have to wait and see if this will cure the problem or not.

Brian

Old 11-30-2011, 01:47 AM
TRENT310
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by marchare011
This thread must have jinxed me. This evening I was driving my elderly mother home and I looked down at the gear selector and there was no 6. WTH! I rarely use manual and had not on this trip. I placed the shift lever in M and back to D and it corrected the issue. WHEW! Weird tranny stuff. I'll be watching this thing.
You didn't hit the '-' button by accident did you?

Old 11-30-2011, 02:07 AM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by marchare011
While in [D] you can press the [ - ] button and take away gears.
Press the [ + ] button to add them back.

Old 11-30-2011, 02:57 PM
Beast2011
New User
Stuck in 5th Gear too!!

I just read this thread yesterday and I kid you not.....this morning I got into my truck and it was about 30 degrees outside....backed up, put it in drive and after a thud, it kept going into 5th Grear. I put it back in park and back into drive and the same thing....5th gear.

I drove down the rest of my driveway (about 100 yards) in 5th...very sluggish. Finally after about another 50 yards, it started to behave normally.....almost like once it warmed up, it was fine.

I think it has something to do with the electronics and cold. Since my truck is only 6 weeks old, it will be visiting the dealer very soon.

Old 11-30-2011, 03:37 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

My educated guess from my chair is you're missing a few of the PCM/TCM flashes.
Mine only did this once but I can't remember if it was cold outside.
I think I was already scheduled for a flash when mine did this so it didn't have a chance to occur again.
Regardless, you're right, let the dealer fix it.

Old 05-16-2019, 05:45 PM
Dirt Nasty
New User
Mine did this today!!!

Originally Posted by darren32
I have H&S Black Maxx and am using their transmission tuning but had the exact same thing happen yesterday!!! Went down a steep gravel road (with 10K 5th wheel), stopped and picked up wife and kids (left truck running). Started up hill and no power, didn't know at first what was going on, though maybe trailer breaks locked from long downhill?? Put it to the floor moving slowly then started going backwards!!! Locked up breaks scared as hell!! Put it in neutral and backed down the hill. On flat ground same thing. I could not get it out of 5th. P to D the truck went to 5th every time. Could not shift it manually either. Turned truck off and back on, everything back to normal.

For me this happened at the worst possible time, way back on a steep gravel road. It sure scared the heck out of me!

Any one else have thie (with or without a tuner??)

Thanks
Happened to me today, p to d went to 5th every time. Have reverse, cant use manual mode... gonna try loading a different tune and hope when it clears the TCM it fixes it. Does anyone have any information on what it is for sure?!??

Old 05-16-2019, 08:34 PM
slorider
Senior User
This might be a record, a thread that's been dead for 7 1/2 years has neen brought back to life.

Old 05-16-2019, 08:47 PM
Dirt Nasty
New User
Sorry?

Originally Posted by slorider
This might be a record, a thread that's been dead for 7 1/2 years has neen brought back to life.
I'm new to this forum stuff, didnt even look at the dates of the original post. I just googled what was happening to my truck and it brought me here. But the good news is... i got home from work and started my truck and everything is back to normal!!!

Old 05-16-2019, 09:09 PM
dirthawg
Posting Guru
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by slorider
That's what makes this forum so awesome. Everything is archived for eternity and a quick Google search brings the masses here.

I can not lie a Google search brought me here is 2007.

Old 05-16-2019, 09:22 PM
Dirt Nasty
New User
🤟🤟

Originally Posted by dirthawg
That's what makes this forum so awesome. Everything is archived for eternity and a quick Google search brings the masses here.

Hell yea. Definitely useful!!!🤟🤟🤟🤟

Old 05-17-2019, 01:47 AM
jav_eee
Laughing Gas
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by dirthawg

Damned if you do, damned if you don't!

"You woke up a 7 yr old thread!"

"Use the search button there's plenty of posts on that topic!"

Old 05-17-2019, 02:19 AM
kper05
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by Dirt Nasty
I'm new to this forum stuff, didnt even look at the dates of the original post. I just googled what was happening to my truck and it brought me here. But the good news is... i got home from work and started my truck and everything is back to normal!!!
How long were you running on the tune before the issue occurred? Since a "restart" resolved the issue, I'd recommend not uploading new firmware (tune) right away if this is only the first time.

Old 05-17-2019, 03:52 AM
Dirt Nasty
New User
About 20 minutes

Originally Posted by kper05
How long were you running on the tune before the issue occurred? Since a "restart" resolved the issue, I'd recommend not uploading new firmware (tune) right away if this is only the first time.
Drove 20 minutes. Went into the store for 15 minutes came out and it was messed up.

Old 10-27-2021, 05:31 PM
12strokesaday
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
stuck in 5th gear and random issues

Originally Posted by darren32
I have H&S Black Maxx and am using their transmission tuning but had the exact same thing happen yesterday!!! Went down a steep gravel road (with 10K 5th wheel), stopped and picked up wife and kids (left truck running). Started up hill and no power, didn't know at first what was going on, though maybe trailer breaks locked from long downhill?? Put it to the floor moving slowly then started going backwards!!! Locked up breaks scared as hell!! Put it in neutral and backed down the hill. On flat ground same thing. I could not get it out of 5th. P to D the truck went to 5th every time. Could not shift it manually either. Turned truck off and back on, everything back to normal.

For me this happened at the worst possible time, way back on a steep gravel road. It sure scared the heck out of me!

Any one else have thie (with or without a tuner??)

Thanks
me just today we had a heavy rain yesterday I drove through a couple massive puddles but not aggressive just to get through and today I have this issue, it bangs hard into reverse and will go into park but in drive any more M , 3,2,1 or just regular drive my truck is stuck in 5th gear no matter what. All kinds of other funky stuff too. The truck won't even attempt to start by just turning the key if your foots not on the brake and one time I hit the brake not touching the key and the engine turned one time so im in need of help asap lol,, did it ever happen to you again and if so did you ever locate the problem? I'm running a 2012 6.7 only got 63k miles and have had a ton of problems already. If anyone has ideas lmk thanks!

Quick Reply: Transmission Stuck in 5th