1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Electronic Speedo Calibration Question

Old 05-22-2011, 07:01 PM
Truxx1956
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question Electronic Speedo Calibration Question

Hey guys, I finally got my truck back together and drove it today. All went pretty well but the speedo calibration is a PAIN! First of all I have Omega Kustom gauges. I love the gauges and its probably me, but anyway here's my question. The instructions that came with them are kind of vague. I left plenty of length on the push button wires for the calibration process so my wife or a passenger could do it while I drove. Now on to the problem: When you press the button it wants to go into this countdown kind of "mode" for a few seconds It dont go through the exact same stuff as the instructions say it is goin to do Next problem which is my area, but we dont have enough mile markers around here to do it if you miss it you have to turn around and go back. I have a buddy who says he can use a GPS and help out I hope he can, cause so far my wife dont want to help me with it anymore. It was not one of our finer moments when we tried to work on this thing. I just thought some of you guys might know something about this? Like I said the instructions are not that great. I'm kind of wondering now, if they didnt say it but maybe you cant have the hour meter disabled when calibrating the speedo? The hour meter is disabled by grounding one of the speedo wires and I did do that but now I'm wondering if that might be a problem?

Old 05-22-2011, 08:25 PM
hellfirejim
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Terry,

I have an autometer electronic speedo. I don't know if it will help but I had to be able to run exactly 2 miles. I started looking on back roads and as luck would have it the two mailboxes were exactly 2 miles apart.

All I had to do was push and hold down the button when I started the truck. The speedo spun full arc to the right. I pull up to the first mailbox and push the button again and let off. The needle when to straight up. I drove at about 45mph to the next mailbox. CAme to a stop and pushed in the button one more time and let go. It was calibrated!!!

You have seen those road signs with radar, well there are 2 of them over by the college and they both said 30 when the speedo said 30..

Hope this helps.
jim

Old 05-22-2011, 08:35 PM
Truxx1956
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by hellfirejim
Terry,

I have an autometer electronic speedo. I don't know if it will help but I had to be able to run exactly 2 miles. I started looking on back roads and as luck would have it the two mailboxes were exactly 2 miles apart.

All I had to do was push and hold down the button when I started the truck. The speedo spun full arc to the right. I pull up to the first mailbox and push the button again and let off. The needle when to straight up. I drove at about 45mph to the next mailbox. CAme to a stop and pushed in the button one more time and let go. It was calibrated!!!

You have seen those road signs with radar, well there are 2 of them over by the college and they both said 30 when the speedo said 30..

Hope this helps.
jim

I think I know what we did wrong. The menu changes so darn quickly you've got to be ready to go when you get it to go, you've to go, but my wife didnt get it in the right mode the last time. The first time she did but there werent enough mile markers together. The second time, she didnt get it in the right mode. Now she dont want to mess with it any more The last time we were doing this a cop pulled up behind us. I thought this should be good, but he turned around. We were on our way to a car show and already goin to be late and it looked like rain. Neeless to say the mood in the truck was Ugly But I think we've got it figured out. I still cant figure out why the Oil PSI gauge is fogging up? It does this with or without the lights on

By the way is the 2mile thing just for Autometer or is that for mine too? I thought in my directions it said 1 mile?

Old 05-23-2011, 04:00 AM
hellfirejim
Elder User
Go by what your directions say. It may be a 2 miles is an autometer thing.

good luck

jim

Old 05-24-2011, 07:51 PM
Truxx1956
Posting Guru
Talking

Well, we had a day with a few minutes without rain Anyway, the gauge guy called me back and talked me through it. They are very nice people (like most Southern folks) anyway the first attempt I still managed to not get it in the right "mode" and screwed it up, but the next time I got it right. I dont know how accurate it is yet? Since I didnt get it exactly even with the mile marker when I started and stoped but it was within 10 feet or so. I am just happy it aint goin all the way around and back again now. I said I should have got my wife if she wasnt mad at me at the time to have taken a picture of the needle on the speedo while it was at 140MPH. That's the only time that truck will have that needle there . Anyway, the gauges work great its just the nut behind the wheel. I did have a minor problem with the Oil PSI gauge fogging up but the guy said that the enviroment that they assemble the gauges in is a very controlled enviroment and that sometimes that fogging happens and to pull the bulb out to let the humidity out and that would fix that problem. He said that was a common thing. I just wanted to let anyone know if they were considering Omega Kustom gauges that they are super nice people to deal with. And I think I've got most of my gremlins behind me now. Time for a KK donut

Old 05-24-2011, 11:13 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
I used to have a Dakota Digital on my bike. It had a very similar setup procedure (try pushing the button while riding a bike!). There was an alternate way, once you've got it close. By switching modes it will show how many pulses equal a mile -- WRITE IT DOWN! You can increase or decrease that number directly to fine-tune, or if you completely lose calibration, you can just go there and enter the number and you're done.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:32 AM
arrowheadfred
Posting Guru
DON'T do the gps thing it didn't work for me anyway.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:21 PM
Truxx1956
Posting Guru
Well, I havent driven it down the road and clocked off a measured mile yet but I think its fairly close. At least for now. I'm tired of folling with it. I've got a car show to do this weekend and we'll see how it does? That is if it dont rain AGAIN!!!

Old 05-25-2011, 05:22 PM
B/B ford
Clean & Classy

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
We just used the family car to mark off two mi. with me following in the truck. It worked fine and my speedometer is dead on.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:50 PM
Truxx1956
Posting Guru
Talking

We just got back from a test run. It quit raining for a few minutes. It appears that my speedo is right on accurate with my wife's car. Since her car has not been messed with and has the right size tires on it. I think it's now pretty accurate. At least its way more accurate than it was before with the other speedo in it. I finally figured out how to reset the trip meter on it too. Eventually this will be nice after I get used to it and get all the bugs out of it, but mostly out of me. This techtard stufff sucks. My usualy tech jockey buddy has other stuff on his brain lately so he's not much help right now and I'm on my own but I have figured it out, and if I can figure it out anybody can figure it out it just takes a while and several trips

Old 05-25-2011, 08:03 PM
hellfirejim
Elder User
So would you reccomend an electric speedo????

I love mine. It is so smooth and stable and accurate. Where it will come into its own is when the gear gets changed. I don't have to do anything but re-calibrate. That is neat. Lucky for me I found two stationary objects 2 miles apart exactly... And they are only about 2 miles from my house. Almost forgot is all I had to do was run wires to the trans signal generator and done. No fuss, no muss.

Almost forgot the reason I picked out this speedo and gauges. Standard black and white in the day but at night back lit red.....

I would definately reccomend one. Besides as was said before," If I can do it, you can do it."

jim