1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Convince me to switch back to Fords please.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 12:08 AM
52 F-1
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Convince me to switch back to Fords please.

At the moment I have a Chevy pickup that was sold to me for $100 with a bad clutch. Now that it is over 200k miles and starting to lack power, I was looking at swapping from the TBI 4.3 V6 to a TBI 350 V8. Went I went to the Chevy forums to find out technical details concerning the 350 from year to year, I realized a fact that must be obvious to most people here, average Chevy people are scary stupid. I used to be totally into mustangs, both new and old, and I got used to well documented hardware and interchange charts and people in the forums that could off the top of their head tell you the differences year to year for an engine or what was available in a given year for axles, transmissions and engines. I can actually do that off the top of my head for any mustang 64-73 or 79-93.

SO anyways I started thinking that I had fun helping someone with an old 52 Ford F1 (for which this account was originally created) and I loved the Mustangs so I know a fair amount about ford drivetrain, why not just ditch the Chevy altogether, and find the F150 that suits me (or F250 if it comes to that).

Here is what I like about my current '92 K1500 4x4:
-Its a manual transmission, which is 100% mandatory for me.
-4x4 is obviously essential.
-W/T edition, I HATE power accessories and fluff, its a freaking truck, the work truck edition wasn't bothered by any of that crap and doesnt even have a complete interior or carpet.
- Little vent things and sliding rear window. If i crack the rear window and open the 2 little vent things somewhere under the dash (levers under steering column) I get a steady breeze that more than makes up for the lack of A/C.
-Long box short cab, this is what a truck is supposed to be.
-A ton of lifetime warranty parts, most of this truck is under warranty at this point and I know it from front to back from working on it.

What I would have to have in a ford:
- A V8 engine of the Windsor family
- A manual transmission.
- 4 wheel drive
-Long box short cab.
-Manual windows and locks.

Things that are optional either way would be whether it has A/C or whether it is an F150 or F250.
Can I get a sliding rear window and some form of vents equivalent to what I have now in this generation of Ford truck?
Also I'm deliberately picking this generation of truck over the next one that would be more similar to what I have now (92), though if I found a good deal on a late 70's Id be ok with that also.

Is there a quick chart or a thread here somewhere that lists what engine transmission and front and rear axles came in the F150's from 80-86, or could someone list the basics, only need whatever came with windsor V8's?

Anything else notoriously good or bad I should know about this generation or certain years in it when shopping?

Old 05-19-2011, 12:17 AM
Shark Racer
Senior User
My 83 F-250 has vents in the kick panel and a sliding rear window, as well as wing windows.

Also, there's lots of smart Chevy guys out there. Just gotta find the right forum. I've found scary-bad Mustang forums, and I'm sure there's scary-bad Ford truck forums as well, I just happened to find one that was a good fit from the get-go.

I'm a Chevy guy, born and raised, so I probably stick out here and ruffle the occasional blue oval nut's feathers, but I got my F-250 for a killer deal and it's hard to argue with a big-block four-speed, even if it isn't the 427/M-22 I dreamed about...

Old 05-19-2011, 12:18 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,680 Likes on 1,357 Posts
If I were you, I would not limit myself to the 80-86 trucks. You may run across a newer one, and they are more likely to be fuel injected, which is a advantage if the truck runs well and is in good shape.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:26 AM
glovemeister
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
I've got an 84 Ford, no power accessories, 4spd trans (Swapping in a 5spd with gearvendors, or may just do the 4 and gearvendors). I love trucks with power accessories until they go bad, then it really sucks. Whats nice with all my rigs I scratch them etc. and it doesn't bother me.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:49 AM
52 F-1
Freshman User
I think what frustrated me with the Chevy folk was the lack of organization I was used to, the forums all seemed to be comparatively small, and broken up in such a way so as to make sure the right people would never read the right questions. Also there was a lack of supporting sites, every time I searched for data pages I seemed to find someone trying to sell me an LT1 crate motor instead.
My decision to limit myself to the 80-86 trucks (or possibly older) is mainly a balance between technology improvements (disc brakes, ect. are nice) and age based emissions exemptions, I live in WI which doesn't have emissions of any sort but was considering moving to CO with a friend which according to their website is one step short of CA in many counties.
Also I kinda just hate the 87-96 bodies (sorry guys) and anything after that is pure misery to work on. You will also never convince me that the Triton engines are anything but crap.
I will possibly eventually go EFI but it would likely be a stock 5.0 from a Mustang since I know that system and which years have what I want, plus its a fairly easy swap into an older 302 truck and has more than enough power for me without modification.

Old 05-19-2011, 01:27 AM
glovemeister
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
At some point I am going to do a standalone holley mpfi system with an integrated handheld controller. I really like how its setup and its very clean compared to the garbage new efi mess. That said as far as simplicity and reliability I really wish that I would have gone with a turboed 6.9. That is without even driving this 460 yet except around town a couple times. That four barrel kick in is real sexy.

One thing about chevies that I have been given crap about is the fact that chevies are so cheap to mod and work on in terms of parts and what is available. I say well they are always broken down. Second, 90% of all chevs are still on the road! The other 10% made it home.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:41 AM
52 F-1
Freshman User
Ok, found what I want, too bad I haven't saved up enough yet. There is an 86' F250 4x4 with a 4 spd stick and a stock EFI 302 for sale near here for $1700, that's exactly what i'm looking for. I think ill stick with the F250's for the tougher drivetrain, plus they seem to be more work oriented in options and style which is what I want.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:42 AM
AstroFab
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is so much information out there on Chevy stuff it's mind boggling. Granted, not all people on the forums (here nor elsewhere) and such are savvy to the technical aspect of it all. I too like my trucks to be TRUCKS, and I was also involved with the Mustang world for many years so I know where you're coming from.

The thing about Chevy stuff, is it's so interchangeable, and there are so many combinations one can put together, it's hard narrow down exactly what you might be searching for. A TBI 350 swap in place of your TBI 4.3 is a few easy steps beyond pulling out and putting your 4.3 back in. You can cut the TBI stuff all together and go with a carb setup and still pass emissions if you set it all up right. It would actually be just as easy to install a newer fuel injected 4.8 or 5.3 LS-based V8 and get 300hp and over 20mpg from a stock engine.

My '83 F-250 is the XLT package with all the power options. I hate the power options. They hardly work anymore and are a pain in the *** to deal with. I'm planning to put manual windows and locks in. The sliding back glass on a regular cab is a must have. Ford trucks until '96 had vent vindows. I had a '93 Chevy and hated the fact that it didn't have vent windows. Riding with the windows down in that Chevy was impossible as the air seemed to pulse through the cab and really throw off your equilibrium. The kick vents in the Fords are also good to have if you're driving on a rainy day.

I've got a 351w in mine that needs to be rebuilt so I started weighing my options. I already have some performance goodies to put in the 351w but haven't yet since I need to go through the bottom end. I thought about putting a later model EFI setup in the truck, just something stock. But my DNA prevents me from leaving anything stock, so I started thinking about building a 393 stroker out of the 351w, maybe adding a Victor EFI intake and running a throttle body and hanging a big turbo off the side. That started to get me going, I thought it would be cool to have an old farm truck that could be driven on the street, in stock appearance, but could run low 12's on all terrains. So I started a build plan, then soon realized I'd be thousands into an engine build because I'd take it to the extreme and make sure the bottom end would hold together to over 700hp. Well my pockets aren't that deep, so I started looking into a 5.9 Cummins Turbo Diesel 12-Valve conversion. I've settled on that swap, but since I can't afford it right now, I'm staying with the 351w. I'll go through it, make a couple improvements, and just keep it on the road til I collect all the parts to do the Cummins diesel conversion.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:49 AM
dohc_chump
This space for rent...
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
@!#$ wi-fi is crap tonight... re-write (so worse than the first draft). Any mistakes blame on the time of day.

Front Axle:
D44 TTB - F150/Bronco
D44 HD TTB - F250
D50 TTB - F250/F350
D60 SA - F350 1985.5+

Rear Axle:
Ford 9" - F150/Bronco 1980-83 maybe (not positive on year, but was available up thru mid-production Bricks if I remember correctly)
Ford 8.8 - F150/Bronco 1983+ (again not positive on year)
D60 - F250/F350 (full and semi float)
D61 - F250/F350 (full and semi float)
D70 - F350
Sterling 10.25 - F250/F350 1985.5+ (full and semi float)

*Note, D = Dana

Old 05-19-2011, 07:54 AM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
RE: Convince me to switch back to Fords please

Originally Posted by 52 F-1
You will also never convince me that the Triton engines are anything but crap.
I used to feel the same way, but I have changed my mind. My brother owns a business and uses E-250 vans as his company trucks (he drives a Tundra). He has two 2003 vans, one of which has somewhere around 550,000 miles on the 5.4L engine. The furthest the engine has ever been into was last summer, I replaced the water pump and thermostat when the radiator needed replacing. I am now a believer in the Triton as I know of several with over 200,000 miles.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:10 AM
punkandpissed138
Senior User
iim a split opinion....my first truck was a 1993 (still 1st generation) chevy s10 with a bone stock 4.3 V6..well a year after having it, it had a 5.7L V8 with the TH700R-4 transmission, both out of my friends 76 firebird. 4bbl carbed, and my god....hahaa...i LOVED IT!!! plus it was a good work truck...but the engine swap was very simple and very easy and i was pretty pleased. so if you can find a good 350 then id do that! older chevy trucks are pretty damn strong...

NOW!!!! the FORD part...i traded the s10 for my current truck..1994 f150 with a 302 EFI. and so far i like it (other than the good enough to get by power) and its muuuuch easier to work on then my s10 was. all the panels come off with ease..and anyone who has owned a 90's chevy truck will know that the pannels are sometimes a BI**H to get off..

basically what im saying is...either choice will be pleasing.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:45 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,680 Likes on 1,357 Posts
Originally Posted by 52 F-1
Ok, found what I want, too bad I haven't saved up enough yet. There is an 86' F250 4x4 with a 4 spd stick and a stock EFI 302 for sale near here for $1700, that's exactly what i'm looking for. I think ill stick with the F250's for the tougher drivetrain, plus they seem to be more work oriented in options and style which is what I want.
Make sure you think about what you are going to use the truck for before jumping in and buying one. For instance that 302 is good for fuel mileage and running around errands, but it's not going to have the power for towing heavy loads all the time. Frankly, I have never figured out why Ford put the 302 in a f250 in the first place. A f250 is a heavy truck made for work, and when the going gets tough, you will have to be patient and nurse the 302 along.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:49 PM
custom1106
Senior User
I was a chevy guy for a little bit...emphasis on "little bit". I hated that every time I went to the junk yard, all of the chevy truck stuff was picked over. No trim parts, axles, engines...all the trucks were just a stack of bones in a matter of days after getting there. As far as Fords in the yards...most trucks still have full interiors, engines, transmissions...etc. I've been picking parts off the same Bronco and F150 in the same yard for the last 5 months! Every time I'm there, I look over to the GM section and 3 or 4 guys are stripping a 73-87 half ton like a pack of wolves!

Granted, The GM stuff is easier to mix and match, more aftermarket support, but for me, working on Ford trucks are like playing with Legos...super simple.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:02 PM
billt28
Fleet Mechanic
F O R D is easier to spell. Is that convincing enough?

Old 05-19-2011, 10:49 PM
52 F-1
Freshman User
Actually I'm not normally towing anything that would require an F250, just planning ahead for possibilities and I like things that ride like conestoga wagons. Right now I tow boats and other trailers with my little 4.3 on occation, so I don't really need much bigger. The HP and torque numbers I read on the 86 302 truck EFI on wiki were better than most of the rest for this generation, and it would get a hell of alot better gas mileage than any other 80-86 motor. After considering it though id rather have a 351w, but its harder to find one with the 4v HO setup, and as I mentioned before I'm a tad concerned emissions may be a factor in my future so I don't want to have to make a 2v to 4v change. I can tell you under no circumstances will I do a computer controlled carb, which rather limits my options to pre 83 doesn't it? Id do a motorcraft 2100 as its a wonderful little carb, but the HP and torque of all those motors was abysmal at best for the displacement.

EDIT: Was the 351w 4v HO the same computer controlled mess as the other stuff?

Quick Reply: Convince me to switch back to Fords please.