ULSD Causing Damage?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 08:50 AM
84-6.9L
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carolinaranger90
I hope so, he earned it.

My wife and I are managing with our young son, but we aren't swimming in the currency ocean, to boot, I was recently laid off, and my truck kept me going aside from my family.
Ah shucks,
Believe me i know how hard it is to get that money tree to sprout, I just got married last august to a great lady with two kids ages 4 and 2 now, and in january we just added another little boy I named john after my dad who died when i was 10, we are stuck in an apartment til i get enough credit to get a home loan sometime this summer.
If the reps don't come don't worry I'm sure someone else would have said it as well, thats why IMHO this is the best forum out there, everybody tries to help unlike the other forums where alot of questions go unanswered and why members post non-IDI questions here, because we have a grest group of people here!

Old 05-18-2011, 10:17 AM
Country_boy_2007
Posting Guru
i beleave my money tree got drown in all this rain. i will say that this forum is quick to help. good bunch of fokes on here

Old 05-18-2011, 11:57 AM
Aune163rd
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well...on the sulfer additive....works wonders, my mileage was not as good as it is now, but i found a Conoco pump that still pumps the old #1 diesel out. I fill up on that and i dont get black smoke as bad if i give it some go pedal....but the sulfer additive turns the #2 diesel into #1 essentially, I did extensive research on it and tested it on a number of tanks of fuel(driving 249 miles to see your fiance is a good way to do this). I found that it increased my mileage just like diesel kleen and the sulfter additive is cheaper in most places than the diesel kleen. I will say its a nice thing to have handy, overall, you can buy it in a 1 gal its cheaper for the $/oz. I really like it, granted when i cant find it i run diesel kleen. I once ran JP-8 and sulfer additive...it worked ok, mileage went down to 13 in town 16 on highway.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:00 PM
Aune163rd
Postmaster

I know how you feel on the subject of the money tree, and having little ones, I went on this deployment because i thought the baby my fiance was mine, til the army proved me dead wrong. So much for saving for that haha. I am going to spend the 9k i had saved up on anything I want for the IDI, hence my facelift, gooseneck hitch, and whatnot for the truck, spent $1,500 so far on tires, hitch, turbo parts, turbo, and now I am going after Rhino Bedliner, getting the engine professionally re-sealed and whatnot. I do have some good news if you need an IP, send me a PM.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:19 PM
FORD RANGER
Post Fiend
yeah i hear ya.

Old 05-18-2011, 10:14 PM
poocher pup
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if i forget to throw the diesel kleen in the truck at fill-up time i'll just buy a quart of atf and add that, but like the diesel kleen better.

Old 05-19-2011, 03:28 PM
polarismuddman
Senior User
This new low sulfur diesel is definitely not kind to our injection systems......we are losing all kinds of lubricity because of the lesser sulfur content......

Old 05-19-2011, 03:28 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,159 Likes on 2,203 Posts
the ULSD did not kill your pump, old age did.
i don't ad anything to my foel and never had any problems with any of my trucks. my 88 mor has 492k miles on it.
also, i have never seen or heard of an injector pump being damaged by ULSD.
some of the pumps on the mask trucks have over 400,000 miles on ULSD and still work like new.

Old 05-19-2011, 03:31 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Originally Posted by polarismuddman
This new low sulfur diesel is definitely not kind to our injection systems......we are losing all kinds of lubricity because of the lesser sulfur content......

absolutely total 100% bull scrap that the fuel additive companys are selling.

there actually is more lubrication in the new ULSD fuel than there ever was in the old sulfur fuel.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:01 PM
joe f350
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by tjc transport

there actually is more lubrication in the new ULSD fuel than there ever was in the old sulfur fuel.

x2

#2 diesel should have a cetane rating between 40-55. If I remember correctly, nothing lower then 45 should be run in most common diesel engines, lest it's non-turbo. The higher the cetane rating the better, especially on cold days, as it will make starting an easier process. In the winter, look for the highest number you can find. Also ensure you are using a good additive (Power Service Grey bottle, I have personally had good luck with..it not only has the antigel/anti wax agent, but it also provides for good lubrication of the injector pump, and thus should also keep the rest of the system 'good to go').

Old 05-19-2011, 04:32 PM
polarismuddman
Senior User
Minimum cetane in the US is 40......while in other countries it's 55.

Sulfur is not a lubricant in of itself, but it can combine with the nickel content in many metal alloys to form a low melting point eutectic alloy that can increase lubricity. The process used to reduce the sulfur also reduces the fuel's lubricating properties. Lubricity is a measure of the fuel's ability to lubricate and protect the various parts of the engine's fuel injection system from wear. The processing required to reduce sulfur to 15 ppm also removes naturally-occurring lubricity agents in diesel fuel. To manage this change ASTM International (formerly the American Society for Testing and Materials) adopted the lubricity specification defined in ASTM D975[8] for all diesel fuels and this standard went into effect January 1, 2005.[9] The D975 standard defines two USLD standards, Grade No. 2-D S15 (regular ULSD) and Grade No. 1-D S15 (a higher volatility fuel with a lower gelling temperature than regular ULSD).

The refining process that removes the sulfur also reduces the aromatic content and density of the fuel, resulting in a minor decrease in the energy content, by about 1%. This decrease in energy content may result in slightly reduced peak power and fuel economy.

ULSD will run in any engine designed for the ASTM D975 diesel fuels.

It is, however, known to cause some seals to shrink and may cause fuel pump failures; biodiesel blends are reported to prevent that failure. source: Ultra-low-sulfur diesel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, the use of ULSD between 1993 and 2005 before refineries were required to add lubricants has nothing to do with increased wear on an injection system?

Old 05-19-2011, 05:05 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Originally Posted by polarismuddman
Minimum cetane in the US is 40......while in other countries it's 55.

Sulfur is not a lubricant in of itself, but it can combine with the nickel content in many metal alloys to form a low melting point eutectic alloy that can increase lubricity. The process used to reduce the sulfur also reduces the fuel's lubricating properties. Lubricity is a measure of the fuel's ability to lubricate and protect the various parts of the engine's fuel injection system from wear. The processing required to reduce sulfur to 15 ppm also removes naturally-occurring lubricity agents in diesel fuel. To manage this change ASTM International (formerly the American Society for Testing and Materials) adopted the lubricity specification defined in ASTM D975[8] for all diesel fuels and this standard went into effect January 1, 2005.[9] The D975 standard defines two ULSD standards, Grade No. 2-D S15 (regular ULSD) and Grade No. 1-D S15 (a higher volatility fuel with a lower gelling temperature than regular ULSD).

The refining process that removes the sulfur also reduces the aromatic content and density of the fuel, resulting in a minor decrease in the energy content, by about 1%. This decrease in energy content may result in slightly reduced peak power and fuel economy.

ULSD will run in any engine designed for the ASTM D975 diesel fuels.

It is, however, known to cause some seals to shrink and may cause fuel pump failures; biodiesel blends are reported to prevent that failure. source: Ultra-low-sulfur diesel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, the use of ULSD between 1993 and 2005 before refineries were required to add lubricants has nothing to do with increased wear on an injection system?

i did not say that. i said that the fuel sold NOW has better lubricating properties than the old sulfur fuel did.
the fuel additive companys are still trying to sell the crap that ULSD is no good and will prematurely kill injector pumps. that has been a flat out lie for over 6 years now, as your post confirms

Old 05-19-2011, 05:45 PM
carolinaranger90
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like it's more politically opinionated in here now, I'll just, step out right about......NOW

Old 05-19-2011, 06:37 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
nope, no political stuff about it at all.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:58 PM
Dodge/Cummins
Postmaster
i did not say that. i said that the fuel sold NOW has better lubricating properties than the old sulfur fuel did.
the fuel additive companys are still trying to sell the crap that ULSD is no good and will prematurely kill injector pumps. that has been a flat out lie for over 6 years now, as your post confirms
You're 100% right

Worse power and fuel mileage but better lubrication.

Quick Reply: ULSD Causing Damage?