Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Suspension help!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 04:57 PM
bashby
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by andym
Guys... the I-beams are stock. They have been bent to compensate for the lift.
I guess you're right, but that is a LOT to bend an I beam. I have done alignments on the older trucks (vans mostly), and IIRC you were only supposed to correct 2 deg or so of camber or risk weakening the I beam. You couldnt look at the beam and see the bend and it looks to me like the ones in the pic have a huge bend compared to what I remember stock looking like. I suspect its more than a leveling kit, as in a lift of some sort in the rear also. OP also said the radius arms are aftermarket.

Old 05-16-2011, 05:23 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
I agree it's a lot and that it probably isn't safe. I would never do it but people do downright stupid things to vehicles. Don't make me bust out the pictures of the u-bolt made from pieces of threaded rod welded together.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:51 PM
99Mystic
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another thing that Ive noticed is that whenever i back the truck into a spot and leave and look at the front end the wheels seem to be not even. Like the bottom of the wheel is sticking out more than the top. Instead of the wheels being straight up and down they are tweaked. Also whenever turning me an a friend noticed that the spring on the pass side moved back and forth and makes a lot of noise. Anyway my the best thing to do is get the original i beams that are straight and stock springs and radius arms.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:29 PM
andym
Post Fiend
When you back up with an I-beam axle that's pretty standard. Don't worry about it. The spring shouldn't be moving back and forth. It doesn't move so it shouldn't be making any noise at all.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:48 PM
99Mystic
New User
The spring does move though, i had a friend look at it while i was turning the wheel in place and then i watched as he turned it and it moves just slightly to make all sorts of noise. I will prob be getting stock I beams to replace those bent ones and stock radius arms and stock springs.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:14 AM
nstueve
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
keep in mind if they jacked up your front end... Chances are they messed with the rear end to get the same ride height... just throwing it out there.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:27 PM
99Mystic
New User
Ok so i got the shocks today. I went to compare to the old ones and the one set of shocks is a bit longer than the new ones extended. So one set wont fit. Will it be fine to just run with the one pair up front?

Old 05-19-2011, 05:33 PM
nstueve
Postmaster
Probably for a while but not forever... the way that dual shock is set up the shock on either side gives even pressure up and down... Just imagine what a single shock offset is going to do... Probably put undue stress on the shock mounts to twist them over 1000's and 1000's of cycles. On single shock setup's the shocks mount is centered, not offset so single shocks are ok on trucks built that way... Just my opinion...

Old 05-19-2011, 06:05 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by nstueve
Probably for a while but not forever... the way that dual shock is set up the shock on either side gives even pressure up and down... Just imagine what a single shock offset is going to do... Probably put undue stress on the shock mounts to twist them over 1000's and 1000's of cycles. On single shock setup's the shocks mount is centered, not offset so single shocks are ok on trucks built that way... Just my opinion...
This is ridiculous.

What do you think they do differently on a truck without the quad shock option?

OP, it will be fine to run your truck with only two shocks up front.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:11 AM
nstueve
Postmaster
This is ridiculous.

What do you think they do differently on a truck without the quad shock option?

OP, it will be fine to run your truck with only two shocks up front.
Single shocks are set up to center the shock over the wheel and not to the left and right (ie off centered). I've honestly only worked on one "quadshock" once (about 7-8 years ago) and can't remember the mount system clearly (b/c i was doint the breaks not shocks...). I thought I remembered a single mounting plate with the type of shock that has the threaded bolt end on the top and both shocks. And that both shocks slid there bolt end into the singular plate. In that instance you'd have all the load being taken on one side of that plate...

In reality I'm sure the shocks mount the same with a bolt through the top and bottom like all the other F150's and will be fine like brad says... Sorry for any mis-information but I still kinda stick with the fact that ford designed that truck with the quad shock option so if you only put one back in it won't ride the same... whether you think it's an improvement or not I guess is up to you.

Old 05-20-2011, 11:31 AM
jfmaz
Mountain Pass
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Does this stuff Autofab aftermarket lift kit look familiar? If so it is probably worth some money to someone if you change yours back to stock.

Old 05-20-2011, 11:44 AM
andym
Post Fiend
Single shocks are set up to center the shock over the wheel and not to the left and right (ie off centered). I've honestly only worked on one "quadshock" once (about 7-8 years ago) and can't remember the mount system clearly (b/c i was doint the breaks not shocks...). I thought I remembered a single mounting plate with the type of shock that has the threaded bolt end on the top and both shocks. And that both shocks slid there bolt end into the singular plate. In that instance you'd have all the load being taken on one side of that plate...
The plate is called the coil bucket. And you remember correctly. The top ends of both shocks attach to the coil bucket.

In reality I'm sure the shocks mount the same with a bolt through the top and bottom like all the other F150's and will be fine like brad says... Sorry for any mis-information but I still kinda stick with the fact that ford designed that truck with the quad shock option so if you only put one back in it won't ride the same... whether you think it's an improvement or not I guess is up to you.
The mounting locations for the rear shock are exactly the same as they are for the single shock. When ford designed the quad shock option all they did was add a mounting bracket that fits under the coil spring for the lower shock mount and modified the coil bucket slightly to accommodate the upper shock mount. Removing the front shock and using only the rear shock makes the truck identical to a truck without the option.

Old 05-20-2011, 01:07 PM
jfmaz
Mountain Pass
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Guys... the I-beams are stock. They have been bent to compensate for the lift.
Autofab uses stock I-beams and bends them for their lift kits on 2wd trucks. Then they use custom R arms (and sometimes drop brackets on higher lifts) to overcome the caster problems.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:29 PM
99Mystic
New User
Well looking at my friends f350 and a truck i saw at the drag strip has one shock on each side and is on the back part not centered. Its stock front and reat suspension.

Originally Posted by jfmaz
Does this stuff Autofab aftermarket lift kit look familiar? If so it is probably worth some money to someone if you change yours back to stock.
Thanks

Old 09-20-2013, 06:21 PM
warren561
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
F150 4x2 Steering Drag Link (Identify Part Please)

oops, wrong thread.

Last edited by warren561; 09-20-2013 at 06:22 PM. Reason: oops, wrong thread.