Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Edge programmer

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 09:10 PM
jeem
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edge programmer

Anyone hear any thing or have any experience with Edge programmers?

Old 05-12-2011, 10:03 PM
JamesHajek
Postmaster
Many have and there are much better tuners out there... You will be wasting your money on Edge programmers... I would recommend a TS style chip with custom tunes.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:26 PM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I've heard LOTS about Edge programmers. Lots of blown Turbo's, lots of fried Transmissions, etc.......There are MUCH better options out there, and you came to the right place. As James mentioned, TS is a great chip, but I would say around here the most commonly used one is DP Tuner. Great product, great support, great performance! Can't say enough good things about it. Do a few searches on here, and you'll find overwhelming information on it

Diesel tuning products for Ford PowerStroke

Old 05-12-2011, 10:31 PM
puller45
Senior User
I have an Edge Juice with Attitude, it is better than stock, but not alot. I'm just waiting till I can get both guages and a DP tuner. I suggest that you save your money and do the same. However, if you are still interested, I will have one for sale, soon I hope.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:34 PM
Vinford
Cargo Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ive run a Edge for a few years and it works great.
My truck goes way faster and harder than anyone need

Old 05-12-2011, 10:47 PM
JamesHajek
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Vinford
Ive run a Edge for a few years and it works great.
My truck goes way faster and harder than anyone need
Once you throw on some custom tunes, I think you might change your mind on how "great" the edge stuff is...

Old 05-12-2011, 10:54 PM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by JamesHajek
Once you throw on some custom tunes, I think you might change your mind on how "great" the edge stuff is...
Agreed.......I ran a Superchip for a few years before I discovered FTE. My truck has loved me, and my wallet have hated me ever since!

Old 05-13-2011, 07:09 AM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,995 Likes on 1,120 Posts
"I've HEARD this....."

"I've READ that....."

Gotta love the internet. Look at the programming side by side and then get back to believing everything you read or hear.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:34 AM
dbass880
5th Wheeling
I am brand new here and can't add much. But I have been talking with Jody Tipton at DP-Tunes. He has been very heplful and has answered all my questions. I will be getting my chip and guages in about a week. I can't wait!!!

Old 05-13-2011, 08:48 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dbass880
I am brand new here and can't add much. But I have been talking with Jody Tipton at DP-Tunes. He has been very heplful and has answered all my questions. I will be getting my chip and guages in about a week. I can't wait!!!
Congrats, you will be impressed with the chip.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:58 AM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,995 Likes on 1,120 Posts
Originally Posted by miller_feed
Congrats, you will be impressed with the chip.

I agree. Anything that you can do with the programming on these trucks is a major improvement over stock.....regardless of from where it comes.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:42 PM
Vinford
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by JamesHajek

What do the others do that my Edge doesnt do?

I can burn the tires off if i wanted.

Going down the highway and you go to pass someone you have to be careful or you could kick it out from under you.

We live in a hilly part of BC and I pull a trailer alot and theres no hills I cant go up doing well over the speed limit?

So just what is the diffrence?

Old 05-13-2011, 09:10 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
So just what is the diffrence?
The simple answer is tuning. I'll try a longer answer also.

Off the shelf tuners that are sold by every Tom, Dick & Harry are sold by companies and people that do not and can not offer proper advice and technical support, so the product is made safe to work in most applications. To make things safe for the majority of folks means you must leave a little something on the table in terms of power.

The International T444e has less hp than our 7.3 even though it's the same motor because the 444 was designed to be put in a medium duty truck and loaded down all it's life. Ford wanted to be able to tow, but also please some of the soccer moms and city drivers so they bumped up the HP (tuning).

More power is available if you deal with a smaller company that actually employs a staff to help customers understand what they are doing.

As mentioned, DP-Tuner will offer advice, suggestions and help if you call or email them. PHP hired Mr. Goodwrench to help them out and you'll see him floating around here with all sorts of helpful and useful information.

I have driven trucks with the Edge, Superchips, and Diablo as well as TW and DP tunes. Even if the power and shifting wasn't better (it is), the custom tunes would be worth it just due to the switch on the fly capability.

You can keep your Edge to read codes, or I've heard rumors Bill can add a tune or two to it.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:26 PM
Vinford
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by F350-6
The simple answer is tuning. I'll try a longer answer also.

Off the shelf tuners that are sold by every Tom, Dick & Harry are sold by companies and people that do not and can not offer proper advice and technical support, so the product is made safe to work in most applications. To make things safe for the majority of folks means you must leave a little something on the table in terms of power.

The International T444e has less hp than our 7.3 even though it's the same motor because the 444 was designed to be put in a medium duty truck and loaded down all it's life. Ford wanted to be able to tow, but also please some of the soccer moms and city drivers so they bumped up the HP (tuning).

More power is available if you deal with a smaller company that actually employs a staff to help customers understand what they are doing.

As mentioned, DP-Tuner will offer advice, suggestions and help if you call or email them. PHP hired Mr. Goodwrench to help them out and you'll see him floating around here with all sorts of helpful and useful information.

I have driven trucks with the Edge, Superchips, and Diablo as well as TW and DP tunes. Even if the power and shifting wasn't better (it is), the custom tunes would be worth it just due to the switch on the fly capability.

You can keep your Edge to read codes, or I've heard rumors Bill can add a tune or two to it.
I read your answer 3 times and you must be a politician.....its intresting reading but you didnt state anything to back up why other programmers / chips are better than Edge.

I have more power than my truck could handle without wrecking something and I still have one more setting up on the Edge I dont even use.

Im srrious about why people say the Edge isnt as good as others and nobodies got a answer , all Im hearing are opinions.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:12 PM
UP_There
Lead Driver

I have more power than my truck could handle without wrecking something and I still have one more setting up on the Edge I dont even use.

Im srrious about why people say the Edge isnt as good as others and nobodies got a answer , all Im hearing are opinions.
I will go out on a limb here and take a guess you've never driven a truck with a DP Tuner in it? I have ridden in, but not driven a truck with Edge. I personally ran a Superchip, and also a Hypertech. Both of those chips make the truck run better then stock yes.......but they are total and complete crap when put up against BOTH the performance, and the customer service of DP Tuner. There is about 1000 reasons why so many on here support them, because they are hands down BETTER. My Superchip (paper-weight) stays in my toolbox until it is time to pull codes. Most all other chip companies get their power by simply forcing the system to dump more fuel, that = power. Does it mean it's good for your truck? Absolutely not

Quick Reply: Edge programmer