1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Has anyone installed the Power Window kit from LMC?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 02:10 PM
mb1096
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone installed the Power Window kit from LMC?

I am in the process of completely rebuilding the window components on my 65 and was wondering if anyone has installed the universal power window kit on your truck.

I'm replacing all the window gear. anti rattle kit, new window regulator and door latch, vent window seals, the works.. bascially, everything inside the door will be new. Even got the new panels coming..

I also have the power window kit but looking at how it installs, it looks designed to work on the inside panel of late model cars. the thing actually wraps around the window handle spindle and turns it...

The whole mechanism normally fits behind the door panel, but with my truck there is no room. Hell, nothing more than the window spindle sticks out..

I was thinking about perhaps adding some spacers to the window regulator so that the spindle actually sits inside the door then mounting the power window unit it to it all concealed in the metal..

any thoughts?

I may just stick with the manual window cranks since it's all new anyway.. and will no doubt work great..

Matt

Old 05-11-2011, 02:27 PM
shortwide
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mb1096
I may just stick with the manual window cranks since it's all new anyway.. and will no doubt work great..

Matt
The manual cranks do work very nicely when they're new/rebuilt...almost too nice to add power.

Old 05-11-2011, 02:53 PM
StevenhF100
Senior User
I used the kit from A1 Electric. They have adapted it using the original type window crank so it just bolts into the original holes and works exactly like the original. All is behind the door panel. It is nice not to have to reach across the cab to roll up the windows.

Electric Life Power Window Kits

Old 05-11-2011, 02:58 PM
gangstakr
Logistics Pro
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts
About 8 years ago I installed one from A1 electric also. Never had a problem.
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=center colSpan=2 align=left></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center colSpan=2 align=left> </TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top rowSpan=5 align=middle></TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>
</TD></TR><FORM method=post name=FORM action=http://www.a1electric.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?><INPUT value=ADPR type=hidden name=Action><INPUT value=PROD type=hidden name=Screen><INPUT value=AEOS type=hidden name=Store_Code><INPUT value=FD56-K type=hidden name=Product_Code> <TR><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left> </TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=left></TD></TR></FORM><TR><TD vAlign=center colSpan=2 align=left> </TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center colSpan=2 align=left>Electric Life custom fit power window kit for 1961 to 1666 Ford F series pickup truck. This is a bolt in kit designed to replace the manual window crank mechanism. Designed specifically for this application, this kit comes with complete with left and right regulator and motor assemblies. This kit does not include switches or wiring. Switch kit must be ordered separately. We highly recommend using the RELAY1 power relay when wiring up the switch kit unless you have installed an aftermarket wiring kit with a power window connection.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Old 05-11-2011, 04:47 PM
mb1096
Freshman User
Wish I had checked this sooner.

I bought the new window regulators AND the power window kit from LMC. But after seeing your posts, checked out A1. Now that looks much better..

I ordered the A1 kit and will send everything else back!

Hope it gets here before the weekend so I'll have something to work on.

Thanks guys.

Matt

Old 05-11-2011, 05:49 PM
bwilliams7527
Junior User
These are also a nice option. They make switches to go with that allow your manual window crank to act as the switch...just press up or down. Has the original look but they are direct bolt in made for our trucks. Universal kits always have some sort of problems.

Nu-Relics Power Windows

Old 05-11-2011, 07:58 PM
Jetcopterpilot
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bwilliams7527
These are also a nice option. They make switches to go with that allow your manual window crank to act as the switch...just press up or down. Has the original look but they are direct bolt in made for our trucks. Universal kits always have some sort of problems.

Nu-Relics Power Windows
Nice but rather pricey, when you can get the other kit bookmarked above with switches that work with the crank handles, the same way for the 61-66 truck for half as much! The only easier part is that the switch is part of the unit, but definitely not worth paying twice as much. You then have to add a remote switch on the driver side so you can open and close both from the driver seat. What happens when the switch fails in time, do you replace the whole unit? That could get pricey in the long run.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:44 PM
bwilliams7527
Junior User
Originally Posted by Jetcopterpilot
Nice but rather pricey, when you can get the other kit bookmarked above with switches that work with the crank handles, the same way for the 61-66 truck for half as much! The only easier part is that the switch is part of the unit, but definitely not worth paying twice as much. You then have to add a remote switch on the driver side so you can open and close both from the driver seat. What happens when the switch fails in time, do you replace the whole unit? That could get pricey in the long run.
A1 Kit= $250 (regulator kit) + $240 (ford spline switches @ $120 each) + wiring (not easily found on website)= $490 without wiring or recommended relay!

Nu Relic complete kit with NuCranks $583. No guessing on what is needed.

Don't know how that equals half, but everybody is entitled to an opinion. Not sure where you got that the switches are built in, they are separate components. If you like the look of a new truck, then the button switches are great. I was suggesting this for someone wanting true to original look, not someone who is too lazy to reach across their truck to touch a switch. Next time do the diggin' before you go doggin'

Old 05-11-2011, 08:52 PM
Broomfieldbum
Laughing Gas

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Personally I am a near purist, so I don't want to modify at all. For those who want the power option, I would suggest looking at resto switches from Golden Rodtronics. They do what the Nu-Power switches do, plus you tap twice to roll down the passenger window.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:16 PM
gangstakr
Logistics Pro
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts
To much hostility in this thread, I'm done looking at it, or suggesting alternate sites for parts.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:38 PM
ras4434
Senior User
over at Slick60 there is an article on turning the original regulators into electric. I did mine for 20 dollars not including switches.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:48 PM
my 66
Senior User
cheap power windows

some where in this forum there is athread about putting saturn ( 1999 back ) power window motors on stock regulators. check it out.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:00 AM
Jetcopterpilot
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bwilliams7527
A1 Kit= $250 (regulator kit) + $240 (ford spline switches @ $120 each) + wiring (not easily found on website)= $490 without wiring or recommended relay!

Nu Relic complete kit with NuCranks $583. No guessing on what is needed.

Don't know how that equals half, but everybody is entitled to an opinion. Not sure where you got that the switches are built in, they are separate components. If you like the look of a new truck, then the button switches are great. I was suggesting this for someone wanting true to original look, not someone who is too lazy to reach across their truck to touch a switch. Next time do the diggin' before you go doggin'

Wow are you seriously getting that cranky, this is a site to help each other out, it seems you need to spend a little quiet time! No one was "DOGGIN" you, get a grip! There are many ways to go that are much less expensive then what you propose., and each and every person on here has the right to do as they choose use what products they want. I am not putting you or Nu relic down, I really don;t care one way or the other! My choice is no power windows at all. I like the old way, but that is my choice! Seriously chill out!

Old 05-12-2011, 12:07 AM
Shawns Fords
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got rid of my wing windows and put 1 piece glass from bobs F100 parts and I bought my own power window kits from streamline hot rods. Was quite a job but has a clean smooth look to the pickup.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:51 PM
bwilliams7527
Junior User
Yes Jetcopter, this site IS to help others out with information....accurate information. All I'm saying is if you have no experience with these kits, or have done no real research on what is available, then don't offer your 2cents based solely on price. Everyone knows how deep their own pockets are. Inaccurate info makes for a useless reference for those actually seeking the advice. I was merely offering another option for a fellow member. I am chilled out....God bless.

Quick Reply: Has anyone installed the Power Window kit from LMC?