6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Diesel Fumes in Cab during Regen

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 12:45 PM
buckmasters
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by baylessbell
Ok, I'm not computer savvy enough to post pics but they are on photobucket http//photobucket.com/whitef350
I've got a pic of the fitting and you can still see the soot since I didnt wipe it off yet. Hope this fixes someone else's problem also.
Thanks. I will take a look at this as soon as I get home. Part of me want to fix it myself, the other part wants them to do it so it can be documented. If it has come loose after only 1100 miles, this could be an ongoing problem. I don't think it can be vibration related since this engine has very little. It has to be the increased heat from the regen and not planning for the expansion?

Edit: If this clamp is tightened down but doesn't expand and contract to the same degree with the rest of the system, it could stretch and become loose once the exhaust system cools down. Just a theory.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:20 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
I can only smell the burning during a regen if one happens and I'm forced to stop at a traffic light.
No issue with that.
Never any exhaust smells at highway speeds or faster; yet.
My vote is exhaust in the cab at 70 mph isn't normal. Give your dealer a call.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:29 PM
Kep4
Jäger
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks to Baylessbell!
Name:  DSC00515.jpg
Views: 16648
Size:  83.5 KB

Old 05-11-2011, 02:07 PM
jermort
Senior User
Originally Posted by buckmasters
Part of me want to fix it myself, the other part wants them to do it so it can be documented.
Ditto!

Side bar: I have never been opposed to turning a screw or tightening a nut. As a matter of fact, I believe that, when you own something, it is your responsibility to perform whatever minor maintenance you can do on your own. (as long as you know what you're doing). The service department is there for the BIG stuff!

@baylessbell: Great pic, thanks for posting!

jammer

Old 05-11-2011, 02:17 PM
buckmasters
Senior User
Originally Posted by jermort
Ditto!

Side bar: I have never been opposed to turning a screw or tightening a nut. As a matter of fact, I believe that, when you own something, it is your responsibility to perform whatever minor maintenance you can do on your own. (as long as you know what you're doing). The service department is there for the BIG stuff!

@baylessbell: Great pic, thanks for posting!

jammer
I'm kind of the same way, but I'll be the first to admit I don't know what I'm doing (and this is also my first diesel). I'll change my own oil, but that's about as far as I go. However, this is a loose fitting that allows fumes into the cab. In addition, I'm not sure if that soot is from hot exhaust backing out or ingnition at the point where it is being injected. At a minimum, it's a safety hazard on the cab fumes and possibly a fire hazard if you have fuel leaking out of the fitting onto the exhaust system. I will tighten it myself, but Ford should also be aware of the issue.

Old 05-11-2011, 02:59 PM
baylessbell
New User
Just glad I could help. At least you have something to check and if it is loose you know exactly what to tell the dealer is wrong if you decide they need to fix it so everything will be documented, then they cant give you too much crap or take too long with your truck.

Old 05-11-2011, 03:20 PM
buckmasters
Senior User
Just glad I could help. At least you have something to check and if it is loose you know exactly what to tell the dealer is wrong if you decide they need to fix it so everything will be documented, then they cant give you too much crap or take too long with your truck.
I do appreciate the help. Will let you know more once I get under the truck tonight. Have to go to a crawfish boil first. Need to make sure I don't drink too much and, if I do, just tighten the one in the middle.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:02 AM
buckmasters
Senior User
Well, I got under there last night and I didn't see any black markings or soot around the fitting. I tried to reach it, but I couldn't even touch it with my finger tips. How in the world did you reach up that high? I will get under there again tonight with a wrench and should be able to check it with that. If it is tight, I will just wait until the next regen and see if there are any fumes.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:49 AM
baylessbell
New User
Yeah, that fitting is way up there. I had to lay with my feet facing the rear of the truck and prop myself up on my other arm to reach high enough to get to it. Even then I just could reach it.
I spoke too soon about the ticking noise. It's still there this morning after the drive home from work so I must not have gotten it hot enough yesterday. I did find one of the clunking noises on the passenger side ...the seat belt latch was hitting a panel so I flipped it over where the cloth kept it from hitting..gotta remind the kids to check that next time they get out.

Old 05-12-2011, 01:38 PM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Yeah, that fitting is way up there. I had to lay with my feet facing the rear of the truck and prop myself up on my other arm to reach high enough to get to it. Even then I just could reach it.
I spoke too soon about the ticking noise. It's still there this morning after the drive home from work so I must not have gotten it hot enough yesterday. I did find one of the clunking noises on the passenger side ...the seat belt latch was hitting a panel so I flipped it over where the cloth kept it from hitting..gotta remind the kids to check that next time they get out.
Those seat belts have been a pet peeve of mine as well. Especially when the windows are opened.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:21 AM
buckmasters
Senior User
Well, just had another regen and no fumes. The only thing that was strange is that i just had another one. The first one where I smelled the fumes was only 50 miles ago and I drove it almost 20 minutes after I got that message. I assumed it finished because my MPG jumped back up into the normal range. But then I get another regen that lasted about 15 minutes last night. I wish we had an indicator that would tell us % full on the exhaust filter and the DEF so that we could time our trips better. The regens always start when I am pulling into the neighborhood and I'm thinking about taking a jug of DEF on my 800 mile (towing) trip.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:44 AM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by buckmasters
Well, just had another regen and no fumes. The only thing that was strange is that i just had another one. The first one where I smelled the fumes was only 50 miles ago and I drove it almost 20 minutes after I got that message. I assumed it finished because my MPG jumped back up into the normal range. But then I get another regen that lasted about 15 minutes last night. I wish we had an indicator that would tell us % full on the exhaust filter and the DEF so that we could time our trips better. The regens always start when I am pulling into the neighborhood and I'm thinking about taking a jug of DEF on my 800 mile (towing) trip.
Paul from Ford posted the DEF usage rates based on driving styles (towing vs. idling vs. highway). There is a message for the DEF when you hit the halfway point. In theory, you should have plenty of miles left (and associated regens) before you need to top it off.

Getting back to your regen. Other than the occassional smell and lower MPG, it is hard to tell when it is being done. But I can say I have never seen back to back regens -- unless I terminated the process before the first one was done. My first regen happened exactly at 250.000000 miles. I just happened to look down at the exact moment it went into regen mode and saw the message. The next one didn't happen until I hit 1300 miles. From there, it has been hit or miss seeing them. I haven't read how long a regen is supposed to last because I think there are factors whether it continues to completion or not (like stopping for an extended period in heavy traffic).

Old 05-13-2011, 11:30 AM
buckmasters
Senior User
Originally Posted by Marauder92V
Paul from Ford posted the DEF usage rates based on driving styles (towing vs. idling vs. highway). There is a message for the DEF when you hit the halfway point. In theory, you should have plenty of miles left (and associated regens) before you need to top it off.

Getting back to your regen. Other than the occassional smell and lower MPG, it is hard to tell when it is being done. But I can say I have never seen back to back regens -- unless I terminated the process before the first one was done. My first regen happened exactly at 250.000000 miles. I just happened to look down at the exact moment it went into regen mode and saw the message. The next one didn't happen until I hit 1300 miles. From there, it has been hit or miss seeing them. I haven't read how long a regen is supposed to last because I think there are factors whether it continues to completion or not (like stopping for an extended period in heavy traffic).
I am coming up on 1300 miles and this was my 4th or 5th regen (seems to be every 250). The only reasons I can see two happening so close together is I didn't fully finish the first one or I got some dirty fuel that produced more soot. This is also the first tank that I have ever run any biodiesel in (10%). Not sure if that affects anything.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:04 PM
jermort
Senior User

Fixed!

Pic is not too great, taken with camera phone. The fitting was beyond loose, not even finger tight. A lot of soot surrounding the 1/4" pipe and nut.

This is a LONG reach to get to. If you have short arms, you will not be able to reach the nut to tighten. I had to lay on my right shoulder and stretch my left arm as far as possible to reach the fitting. First finger tightened the fitting (about 5 full turns), then used a 17mm end wrench to cinch down. Because of long reach, not possible to get very tight, but is good and snug.

FUMES are cured!!!

Side note, the dang thing is quieter now. Apparently the exhaust leak was giving off some diesel like noises!

Kudos to baylessbell! Great find!

jammer

FYI: Build Date was 05/10

Last edited by jermort; 06-09-2011 at 12:27 PM. Reason: add build date
Old 05-13-2011, 06:59 PM
baylessbell
New User
That's exactly how I found mine. The best part is it was an easy fix , well, if you have long arms anyway. Glad I could contribute something useful to the forum

Quick Reply: Diesel Fumes in Cab during Regen