Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

Garage ceiling

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2003, 10:04 AM
drdave
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Garage ceiling

I've gotten differing opinions on what can be used for a garage ceiling. I do not want to use sheetrock. I do want to be able to paint it. What are some of your experiences with installing a ceiling into your garage? What did you use?

Old 03-21-2003, 12:31 PM
415dave
Freshman User
Garage ceiling

I've seen people use "chipboard" or OSB instead of sheetrock for their garage walls and ceilings. Don't know how well it takes paint, but your lumber yard could tell ya. When I build my garage this summer (hopefully) this is what I'm using 'cuz it's easier and cheaper than sheetrock. Hope this helps.

Old 03-21-2003, 01:03 PM
Ken2600
Elder User
Garage ceiling

I'm going to use R-Board or Celotex when I do mine. It adds some insulation and some of it is paintable. If you get the foil coated Celotex, that would offer some reflection of your lights too.

Old 03-21-2003, 01:21 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Garage ceiling

OSB does not take paint well. You will need to prime/seal it then put 2 coats of paint on. A really good paint might cover in one finish coat.

I am looking for something to use on my walls that meets fire code construction without sheetrock. I may have to use sheetrock as a base layer and use OSB with fire retardant paint. My garage/shop is attached to my house so the fire codes come into play.

Last edited by Torque1st; 03-21-2003 at 01:26 PM.
Old 03-21-2003, 07:20 PM
429 4v
Freshman User
Garage ceiling

i would recomend 1/2" osb. put the smooth side out, nail it every 6", prime and paint. athough to meet fire code you will probably have to use 5/8 sheetrock. the best thing you could use would be 1/2" osb then glue a fire code fiberglass reinforced panel (FRP) over it, then you wont have to paint an when the shop gets dirty just bust out the pressure washer and spray it down. As for the ceiling corogated steel (like a pole shed) also works well.

Old 03-22-2003, 09:50 AM
theonlybull
Posting Guru
Garage ceiling

personally, i'd use sheetrock. as a firefighter, i've seen alot of small fires ruin buildings because there wasn't any fire resistance in the building.... it's saved our machine shop a few times....

Old 03-22-2003, 01:20 PM
big1
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Garage ceiling

This is kind'a along the same subject. I put plywood on top of the rafter's so that I can use this space for storage, and would also like to add some kind of cieling cover, but I would loose acsess to my storage. Any thought's on this?

Old 03-22-2003, 02:05 PM
68f2504x4
New User
Garage ceiling

if u use sheet rock make sure beef up the framing to take all the extra weight!!!!

i use sheet rock and also added a attic ladder acess that pulls down when u need it to get to all the storage.has a nice clean look too.

hope this helps

Old 03-22-2003, 04:18 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Garage ceiling

I made my own access ladder from 2x4's with 1x4 rungs with big strap hinges to hold it. I used a pulley and a rope to raise/lower it and keep it stowed above. Not as pretty as the fold up ladders, but it is a garage...

I made a 4'x 30" opening for access. I covered the opening with a sheet of 1/2" plywood with a 2x2 cross bar to hold it down and a 1/4-20 all thread rod with a plant hanger hook on one end (to turn with fingers) and a toggle bolt on the other to clamp it shut. The cover is gasketed with foam adhesive strips. You could cover the back of the cover with some fire rock for a little fire protection.

The opening is big enough to climb thru with a box or tools. The ladder is sturdy enough to hold me up with tools unlike the folding ladders I have seen.

I put a nail in a rafter to hook my trouble light on

With all the insulation I have there is no good room over the house for any storage but I do have a pair of boards running out along the joists so that I can service my attic fan etc. I do use some of the space over the garage for storage but it is not really good storage space. Stuff that is put up there tends to stay and not be used... Most of it is going in the dumpster soon.

You MUST use fire rock if you have an attached garage.

Last edited by Torque1st; 03-22-2003 at 04:22 PM.
Old 04-01-2003, 07:06 AM
tgregoire
Senior User
Garage ceiling

If the garage is framed properly the weight of the sheetrock would not be an issue for the ceiling.

In my area (western Mass) sheetrock is as cheap or cheaper than 1/2" OSB.

If you have an attached garage you only need 5/8" sheetrock on the joining wall between the garage and the house and the joints jave to be taped to meet code. It must also extend all the way up to the peak of the roof to form a barrier in the attic space so fire cannot rush down the attic space over the living space.

I personnaly will be sheetrocking my new garage, not that much harder to apply than plywood but easier and nicer looking to finish.

Old 04-02-2003, 09:35 AM
Alan P
Junior User
Garage ceiling

drdave, there are so many framing variables it is impossible to guess what yours is like. The responses above cover do a good job on the possibilities.

IMO, my favorite ceiling setup is plywood above the joists to gain the loft/attic storage, just leave the joists exposed and uncovered from below. If the framing is nicely done , it can be attractive.

A good wood product to use below the joists is 3/8" exterior plywood.
It comes in smooth (sanded) and rough sawn (textured). The exterior rated panels are made with a water resistant glue.

Vinyl or steel panels could also be used.
Any material suitable for a porch ceiling would work.

Alan P

Old 04-02-2003, 11:58 AM
Huntsman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Garage ceiling

I saw a show on hgtv recently, where a new 'Rustic' type home was being built and in the breakfast area, they used roofing tin on the inside ceiling. It was not the 5V crimp design but the kind that is similar to fiberglass panels design. It looked good unpainted in its application.

Old 04-02-2003, 09:22 PM
JW 4x4
Senior User
Garage ceiling

My friend has the tin on his shop ceiling, and it looks sweet (chrome) and improves the light level because it reflects the light! Somethin to think about

Old 04-04-2003, 10:09 AM
drdave
Junior User
Garage ceiling

OK, where would you get the ceiling 'tin' ?
I haven't seen anything like that at the local building supply stores.

Old 04-04-2003, 10:50 AM
Huntsman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Garage ceiling

The tin I saw being installed was ‘corrugated’ roofing tin available at Lowes and Home Depot and others.

Quick Reply: Garage ceiling