General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Montreal fans boo Star-Spangled Banner

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2003, 08:09 AM
dcexplorer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/hoc...x.html?cnn=yes

Posted: Friday March 21, 2003 12:50 AM
Updated: Friday March 21, 2003 12:57 AM

MONTREAL (AP) -- Fans booed during the playing of the U.S. national anthem before the New York Islanders' 6-3 victory over the Montreal Canadiens on Thursday night.

The sellout crowd of 21,273 at Bell Centre was asked to "show your support and respect for two great nations" before the singing of the American and Canadian national anthems.

But a significant portion of the crowd booed throughout Star-Spangled Banner in an apparent display of their displeasure with the U.S.-led war against Iraq. More than 200,000 people turned out for an anti-war demonstration in Montreal last Saturday.

"I'm sure there are a lot of people against the war, but some things people can't control," said New York's Alexei Yashin, who is from Russia. "They were probably showing what they feel about it."

Teammate Mark Parrish, a native of Bloomington, Minn., was upset hearing the boos.

"I came to the game pretty pumped up, but once I heard that it really got me going," Parrish said. "So I guess I can thank them a little bit for getting me more pumped up."

Old 03-21-2003, 08:09 AM
dcexplorer
Senior User

... and the American team won!

Old 03-21-2003, 08:16 AM
1997RangerXLT
Posting Guru

Hey, come on now. They booed because they are a small country with a small military budget. They didn't mean to say they were moving much further from the USA politically, just that they thought that was the way to thank the country that protects them so they can spend that allocated money on gun registration.

I'm sorry you lost but it's not my fault that (some of) you dopes motivated NY so convincingly. Could you do that at all our games.

You know how Iraqi's face Mecca and pray, I'm facing South when I eat beans. Now don't get all upset, I understand it wasn't all of you that did that. But I reserve the right to hold those that did in the same disdain that I do American that boo my National Anthem.

Last edited by 1997RangerXLT; 03-21-2003 at 08:23 AM.
Old 03-21-2003, 09:07 AM
2000Expy
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down Montreal fans boo Star-Spangled Banner

Question: How many Canadians does it take to pilot an F-15 figher aircraft?

Answer: If the Canadians had an F-15, it would take one.

Old 03-21-2003, 09:36 AM
chado
Posting Guru

Please disregard anything that comes out of Quebec as something Canadians say.

Think of it like this:

Quebecor's dont like the war.

Not, Canadians dont like the war.

Dont like isn't a good way of putting it I suppose, but you understand what I am saying.

We (All of Canada except Quebec) aren't all the much different.

It's Quebec thats making us look bad it's unfortunate they couldnt' of separated a few years back. That would make things alot easier. And it would be rather comical if little Quebec wants to whine and complain.

Bah!

Remember, Quebec and Canada hardly have the same laws. I work for a company that has to handle things on a provincial level law wise and I have two different sets of rules for 95% of everything I do (I work in a Financial Services company) for Quebec and the rest of Canada. Some other provinces have SMALL stipulations but not like Quebec.

BAH!.

Really bothers me.

Need to go get me a nice American Flag T-Shirt.

CK

Old 03-21-2003, 09:50 AM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO - it's a shame. A sad thing to have occured. It speaks more to the character of the individuals involved than it does Canadians in general.
It takes FAR more class and character to keep their mouths shut, and show the respect that we as Americans and neighbors are due, than to boo during our national anthem.
Childish is the word that comes to mind.
I'd compare it to cheering if your neighbor's kid's dog got run over by a car, just because your neighbor supported a policy or action that you didn't approve.

This whole scenario is like coaching a team in the Super Bowl. The coach is going to get criticized REGARDLESS of what he does. Just being there brings the critcism. So, if you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen. I am glad that we (collectively) as Americans, and Pres. Bush, appear quite capable of being able to take the heat.

Old 03-21-2003, 10:05 AM
1997RangerXLT
Posting Guru

Originally posted by chado
Please disregard anything that comes out of Quebec as something Canadians say.

Think of it like this:

It is, the Quebecor's dont like the war.

Not, Canadians dont like the war.

[Remember a few years ago when some minimum wage dope put the Canadian flag upside down at a sporting event by mistake? I can't tell you how many Americans I talked to that were totally embarrassed and ashamed by that jerk. These guys (Many, many of them) did the same or worse on purpose.]

Dont like isn't a good way of putting it I suppose, but you understand what I am saying.

We (All of Canada except Quebec) aren't all the much different.

[I agree, we still have the longest undefended border in the world.]

It's Quebec thats making us look bad it's unfortunate they couldnt' of separated a few years back. That would make things alot easier. And it would be rather comical if little Quebec wants to whine and complain.

Bah!

Remember, Quebec and Canada hardly have the same laws. I work for a company that has to handle things on a provincial level law wise and I have two different sets of rules for 95% of everything I do (I work in a Financial Services company) for Quebec and the rest of Canada. Some other provinces have SMALL stipulations but not like Quebec.

BAH!.

Really bothers me.

Need to go get me a nice American Flag T-Shirt.

[I wouldn't be ashamed to wear the Maple Leaf either. It seems like both of our countries have a bunch of Commie jerks that should be sent to a Saddam controlled Iraq. How arrogant for a peacenics to think they know more than the people that have been tortured and escaped from Iraq.]

[Tell the Quebecians that not everyone in this country or everyone in Iraq right now, like war either. Sometimes you have to put your country ahead of yourself. Tell the two million people that Saddam killed that you don't like mean little boys and girls that hit.]

[A Canadian friend on another forum told me that Canadians like to display the flag on their luggage when traveling so people won't misstake them for Americans. Thanks neighbor, that's how to stand up and be counted.]

CK

Last edited by 1997RangerXLT; 03-21-2003 at 10:08 AM.
Old 03-21-2003, 10:12 AM
couleeman
Posting Guru

I have to agree with CHADO. Quebec is in a mindstate of thier own, NONE. They have tried to separate from Canada on several occasions. Personally, I would say let them go.

I have a friend back in Canada that is from France. He was actually bothered that people from Quebec wanted to be called "French Canadians". He figured you were either Canadian or not.

I live in MN now and even though the Star Spangled Banner isn't my national anthem, I still rise and show respect when it is played, it is just common curtisy.

In short, ignore Quebec. They are just like the little anoying fat kid trying to get some attention.

Old 03-21-2003, 11:18 AM
Border3899
Senior User

I havent posted on any of these political threads yet, but this really bothered me to know that peopel boo the national anthem, show some respect for pete's sake. The thing that really gets me is if something were to ever happen to Canada and they needed help the Canadian governement would come running to the US for aid, and of course the U.S. would offer the assistance. Dont get me wrong i do know it's the Canadian government and a few Canadian citizens that act this way but those are also the Canadians that will forget how they treated the U.S. when the time comes the need assistance. Just my two cents. Again i do realize this is the Canadian governement and a select few Canadian citizens. All Canadian's I've met have been great people!

Old 03-21-2003, 12:11 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Just for the record only.

It was the fans in an American Hockey arena that were the *First* to boo the Canadian Anthem.
Possibly in Detroit,Boston.

I'll go find the story.

Who Booed Whose Anthem First

IMHO,this is a very childish thing to do.

These are adults acting like ignorant children.

I Implore the people who post contraversial things here to visit
the site's of our national newspapers "Letter's To the Editor" to get a REAL idea of what is going through the minds of Canadians instead of forming your opinion by these limited Media hyped stories.
Chance are there were 5 people who didn't know the words.

Do some firsthand research in the goings on with your neighbours.

BTW, I sing along to all 3 American Anthems with my hand over my heart &........I 'm Canadian.

Old 03-21-2003, 12:22 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dennis,
some sage advice.
And you are a good man if I do say do myself.

Old 03-21-2003, 01:04 PM
Border3899
Senior User

I read the letters to the editor and i think they are great and really do give you an idea of what people are thinking again Most Canadians do want to help out the U.S. Dennis you are a great man, i've never met you personally but i know how you and many other Canadians are 100% behind the U.S. and i think it's wonderful.

Old 03-21-2003, 01:06 PM
1997RangerXLT
Posting Guru

We all agree it is/was childish and should not take place. I have not read where our little children booed first. Trust me, that does not please me either. Even your enemy deserves respect for their people.

Let's get off the it's only this one little section in Canada that acts like that. I get reports from Juneau, Alaska that the same attitude is present way out West too.

You guys are either moving much further away politically or acting very arrogantly. If we did it first, I apologize. Why would I want to read your account of the thing.

Old 03-21-2003, 01:41 PM
zhdrummer
Freshman User

In my job I have lived in a variety of countries. I have seen flags burned in front of my residence. I have had my car destroyed because someone knew I was an American in their country. I have been accused of taking away jobs from them. Little did they know I was there to startup a factory needing to employee 1000 people locally. The point is, when confronted with questions about why the US is sticking thier noses in everyones business, I always respond, If we don't use our military proactively, you will have to go get a real one and defend yourselves for a change. For example, The Irish Air Force consists of 2 Cessnas. If it wasn't for our's and Englands Air Forces, believe me, Ireland would have to create a real one. This goes for most peace loving countries. Do you think Scottland or the Netherlands and other smaller countries can defend against Iraq? They don't even consider the need as they know the true world powers will take care of business. The same is true for our neighbors, Canada and Mexico.

Old 03-21-2003, 08:33 PM
chado
Posting Guru

Just thought I'd let you folks no tomorrow after work I'm going to do some shopping, I dont normally go around with flags on me (I prefer to dress conservatively) but I am making an exception. I'm going to get a Canadian hat and an American shirt (BIG FLAG) and I'd like to see someone say something to me around here in Niagara Falls Ontario.

CK

Quick Reply: Montreal fans boo Star-Spangled Banner