6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

What tires and wheels fit and what ones hit

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 11:21 PM
4mil
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kereams
Problem with most of those after market wheels is their weight rating is significantly less than the stockers. If its under 3500lb per wheel I would keep looking, especially for a 350.
Couldn't agree more. You spent the money on your rig, don't cut yourself short now.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:12 AM
signatureptw
Former Vendor
Maybe you're not looking in the right places? Nowadays there are soooo many different wheel options in regards to style, finish, lip, size, stance, that there's pretty much something for all tastes. Sure, the bling and fancy multi-finish wheels are the new hot thing, but you still have a lot of clean, simple flat finish 8 lug wheels...XD has the Rockstar and the Monster, but they also have the more basic Hoss and Revolver...MHT Fuel has the Boost and Throttle, and the simpler spoked Hostage and Mojave...Pro Comp has the new Moto Metal, but they still have their classic best selling 89 Series wheel.

As a guy who makes his living selling wheels and tires, I guess I always feel like I can find somebody that perfect combination that they're looking for. Guess that's just the optimistic salesman in me LOL.

Let me know when you're ready for some wheels and I can help you to find a happy wheel match, whether you order them from me or not

Originally Posted by thejean
I'm with you. The aftermarket wheels are all bit too bling for my tastes. But I may buy some ATs that fit the stockers and if I don't like the look can then grab some aftermarket wheels and swap the tires on. Keep the stock wheels for winter tires or try to sell them.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:20 AM
signatureptw
Former Vendor
What do you guys think about me posting pictures and lift/tire/wheel specs of any SD's we do over at our store? Not sure if that will get repetitive and flood the boards, but i figured it would still be pretty helpful information coming from an accessory/installation store that is consistently dealing with suspension variations, confirming tire clearance, verifying wheel fitments, etc.

Originally Posted by 4mil
Guys, I have ordered my new 2011 F350 and hope to be picking it up soon. The truck is slated for a 2 1/2" leveling kit. I am currently shopping for tires and wheels.

I am looking to provide a thread where others can look to for future fitment of tires and wheels on their new 2011 and newer trucks. Would those of you lucky ones be able to provide a picture or two and a quick description of the tire size, wheel size, lift or level height, etc?

I hope to add my pictures soon.

Todster

Old 05-10-2011, 03:38 AM
signatureptw
Former Vendor
We like using Readylift or Pro Comp Stage 2 or Upgraded Leveling Kits that are just coil spring spacer kits, but come with Track Bar Relocation Brackets included, so you can return the Track Bar to factory specs if chosen.

Also, on all newer model Superduty's getting leveling kits, we almost make it mandatory that they all get alignment cams...camber, caster problems with alignment are common and these cheap, simple pieces can help correct that.

Then again, we do alot of these leveling kit/wheel/tire packages for new car dealers, so we have to take every precaution to make sure we overdo the "correctness" on everything to keep the OE boys happy!

Originally Posted by EpicCowlick
Right on all accounts but remember the trac bar is for re-centering the axle. A two inch level on my truck shifted the axle about 1/2 inch off center. Just enough to show about 2 degrees off on the steering wheel. Looking at the truck from the front, you can just see the driver side tire is a little more to the outside of the fender than the passenger side. I haven't gotten around to replacing the trac bar is it does not affect drive-ability.

The caster angle on the other hand is another matter. By raising my front end, it effectively removed the caster angle and the steering was loosey-goosey. I asked the alignment shop to not only restore the factory setting but also add an additional half to three quarters of a degree. I prefer a little more resistance in the steering wheel so that was good for me.

FYI - on the second photo in my post above you can see the AutoSpring 2 inch spacer on top of the coil.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:42 AM
signatureptw
Former Vendor
Are the SD stockers rated to 3500lb per? That seems awfully high, but I guess it also depends on what exactly you're doing with the truck....all of the 8 lug XD wheels are 3200lb per, and most popular wheel lines nowadays are only rated to around the same if not less.

Problem with most of those after market wheels is their weight rating is significantly less than the stockers. If its under 3500lb per wheel I would keep looking, especially for a 350.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:52 AM
thejean
Elder User
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Jason, I think posting your pics would be very helpful along with mod details. However, probably worth starting a new thread called "Signurature Customer Pics" or something like that. JC

Old 05-10-2011, 09:20 AM
sy628109
Freshman User
This thread seems perfect for posting pics and specs given the title and discussions that have taken place so far. Posting in a new thread might be considered "sales" and pulled.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:26 AM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,566 Likes on 731 Posts
Yes the Ford 18" and 20" wheels are rated at 3525 lbs each
The 17" wheels are rated at 3195 lbs

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...ckup_specs.pdf

Page 77 of the specs

A lot of the folks putting after market tires/wheels on are reducing the load capacity of their trucks. And thats fine as long as the understand what they are doing. but I suspect many see the Load "E" rating and think that all E rated tires carry the same capacity.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:22 AM
kereams
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Painted Horse
Exactly. When doing the math on my trucks payload capacity and GVWR and buying tires to carry the camper I need a wheel/tire capable of 3400lbs at each corner to carry full capacity. Add in a safety factor and 3500lbs it is. Note to most people, the metric sizes of tires will have a higher weight rating than the inch size (for the most part). Luckily you can usually get the same O.D. and width with either choice.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:42 AM
signatureptw
Former Vendor
Wow, I never knew that...I mean, I knew that wheels had load ratings just like tires, but unless you were really pushing something big, I was always under the impression that the wheel ratings needed to be significantly less. And especially since most of the popular 3/4 ton aftermarket wheels don't come within 200 lbs of that...Our usual concern is with the tire load rating, not the load range as somebody else pointed out....getting that load rating right on the tire is crucial. BFG tires is a good place to look for some oddball sizes with big ratings....they've stepped up their plys on smaller sizes and are sometimes the only brand we can find in light truck tires and small HD tires with the correct load ratings.

Thanks for the info Painted Horse.

Originally Posted by Painted Horse

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...ckup_specs.pdf

Page 77 of the specs

A lot of the folks putting after market tires/wheels on are reducing the load capacity of their trucks. And thats fine as long as the understand what they are doing. but I suspect many see the Load "E" rating and think that all E rated tires carry the same capacity.

Old 05-10-2011, 12:24 PM
sy628109
Freshman User
Hopefully someone can clarify this for me please....because I am not sure I entirely understand:

Here is how I understand it....the load capacity of the wheels must meet or exceed the GVWR of the vehicle. Most of the after market wheels I am looking at have a load capacity around 3400. I have a 250 crew cab with GVWR of 10,000lbs. So based on the rules with the total load capacity being 13,600lbs, I should be covered for everyday unloaded driving, correct?

Am I safe in assuming the main issue is that lower load capacity of the wheels will lower the safe towing capacity and max payload from the factory specs? If so is there a calculation to figure this out? (Google wasn't much help in this case.)

I dont want to bring this thread of track, but this is helpful information for people looking at aftermarket wheels.

Thanks

Old 05-10-2011, 12:44 PM
kereams
Mountain Pass
You will be fine with 3400lbs per wheel on a 250.

I like to look at Gross Axle weighting for the rear rather than just GVWR/4, as you'll need more capacity back there.

Old 05-10-2011, 01:18 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,566 Likes on 731 Posts
Note to most people, the metric sizes of tires will have a higher weight rating than the inch size (for the most part). Luckily you can usually get the same O.D. and width with either choice.
The Metric tires usually run at 80 psi for "E" range tires. The Inch Size tires are usually floatation tires and run at 65psi, hence the lower load capacity for the same diameter/width/ply.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:53 PM
4mil
Senior User
Jason,

My intent for this thread is exactly what you are offering. Please post away!

Old 05-23-2011, 03:25 PM
sy628109
Freshman User
Now that there are more new people getting this truck, anyone have any new pics to post?

Quick Reply: What tires and wheels fit and what ones hit