Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Power Steering Filter...

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 03:44 PM
schlepprock250
Cargo Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Power Steering Filter...

Hey guys,I'm still chasing my hard steering issue,I haven't had much time lately,but I'm on it again today....my FIL called one of his buddys and was told there is an in-line filter for the power steering unit,my question is,can anyone confirm the in-line filter,Oreillys has one on their website,but I know with the 99s the part #s can be kinda weird so I thought I would check in with you guys,I haven't been drove it in a couple months,when we first drove it today trying to show my FIL what it was doing,it seemed fine,but after warming up it went back the hard steering,having what seems like a"burr" in the steering.....Thoughts....

Old 04-23-2011, 04:09 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Didn't come stock, but you can sure add one.

Magnefine comes to mind real quickly, but I added a spin-on type to mine. I wanted greater flow and particle trap capacity.
http://springerpop.net/F350/hydraulic_filter.html

If you go the Magnefine route, there are two places you can put it. One is in-line with the cooler, and the other is in the return line from the hydroboost.

For starters, though, I would change the fluid in the system. It's a good place to use synthetic trans fluid. Four quarts is more than enough to completely bleed the system. Remember, it's the steering AND braking assist. Though it's on another site, here's how to do that:
http://www.superdutypsd.com/power_steering_flush.php

Pop

Old 04-23-2011, 04:21 PM
schlepprock250
Cargo Master

Well crap,so much for that theory...thanks Marv...I flushed it out and replaced the fluid with synthetic trans fluid about two years ago...

Old 04-23-2011, 05:44 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Then it should still be "good-to-go".

You're not just a teenie-bit low on fluid, are you? It doesn't take very much to start alerting you that it needs some added.

Is it making any noise? Is it making noise when it's working normally?

Pop

Old 04-23-2011, 06:26 PM
schlepprock250
Cargo Master

No,it's not low on fluid,it's not making any noise,it just gets hard to steer/turn whether you're sitting still or moving,we noticed this morning it doesn't do it as bad when it's cold/when you first start it up,but after it warms up it starts getting hard to turn in general and it seems to get this burr/tight spot feeling,I'm thinking either the power steering unit is going out and shows more after it warms up,but the brakes still feel good,or the steering box itself is going out and shows more after it warms up.I'll probably get a new PS unit next weekend and see if that fixes it,if not I'll go ahead and order a Redhead steering box,at least the new PS unit will go good with the Redhead and a good cooler flush and new synthetic ATF....thoughts..

Old 04-23-2011, 06:59 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Just a thought Phil, couldn't you go with the Magnifine inline filter for now and put some miles on your truck and see what kind of crap you catch in the filter, somewhat getting an idea if it is the pump thats bad. If it is the pump I would build Pop's system to go along with a new pump, protect from the start if you will senario..

Old 04-23-2011, 06:59 PM
mjtpolice76
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm having same problems changed fluid then changed the steering box to redhead next thing is the pump. I hate chasing problems.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:06 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

There is a pressure-regulator (with a spring) in the pump itself, that allows fluid to return directly to the reservoir if there is no demand for pressure and flow. If that spring gets weak, your pressure drops off, and things are harder to steer.

Just another thought: You don't have a bent steering dampener, do you?

Pop

Old 04-23-2011, 07:23 PM
schlepprock250
Cargo Master

Yeah Mike,I did thought about that earlier,that's definately a good idea,Marv,it doesn't have a steering dampener,we've been out there checking again(if my FIL gets on a mission...look out...lol),and now we're hearing a clicking/spring stretching sound from the steering column,I've posted some steering column questions a while back,and now we're seeing some movement in the steering column/steering wheel,I know all this sounds like we're a couple of keystone cops working on this but we're not..lol,but we've heard clicking before from the steering column,but when we took the covers off of it,we couldn't find any looseness,the rag joint is good,the joint at the tilt wheel assy. looked good,but the one thing that is constant is hard steering and having to turn it harder to get past the"burr"....sorry guys....

Old 04-23-2011, 07:32 PM
WA.Ranger
Postmaster

Also, check your ball joints.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:37 PM
schlepprock250
Cargo Master

Yep Jeff we checked the ball joints,tie rods,steering rod coming down from the steering box,all is tight under the truck...

Old 04-23-2011, 07:57 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Have you ever adjusted the box before via the hex nut on top of the pump??? Not sure if it was asked before but I heard a while back a fella adjusting the screw a bit to much and the steering gave him problems, more so wouldn't go full lock..but I know thats not your problem, maybe something related here.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:16 PM
WA.Ranger
Postmaster

My steering was never all that good from the day I got my truck. I did change my box out with a REDHEAD a few years back chasing down a wandering problem and it has been a different truck ever since. Not only did it cure the wander and tighten up the feel, but the effort into turning the wheels (13.50 wide) was cut by what felt like 30-40%. I'm not saying that the REDHEAD was the magic cure all, but rather maybe my box was overdue. Just some food for thought.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:21 PM
schlepprock250
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by big poppa
Have you ever adjusted the box before via the hex nut on top of the pump??? Not sure if it was asked before but I heard a while back a fella adjusting the screw a bit to much and the steering gave him problems, more so wouldn't go full lock..but I know thats not your problem, maybe something related here.
No Mike I haven'ty adjusted the steering box before,I'm thinking steering column or steering box...I've run out of diagnostic ideas,I wish there was someone close to me I could trust for an opinion,what it's doing is really hard to explain on here,also to make it worse,it doesn't do the same thing all the time,but it does have an issue everytime....aarrgg...

Old 04-23-2011, 08:27 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
I sense your fustration Phil, it would me also, been there. Just throwing some stuff out for yaa. Hoping for a fix, soon..

Quick Reply: Power Steering Filter...