Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So...the oil companies have convinced me to...

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 05:16 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
Summer 2008 I just swiped my card, put the green nozzle in the truck, looked down, filled up, waited for the click, and left...

Diesel was $5.00 a gallon and cost $200-$220 to fill up
2008 was one of my last really long towing trip from Indiana to Grand Canyon (2009 was only about 3000 miles to Acadia NP in Maine and fuel prices were more reasonable)...~4500 miles...on that trip I had all kinds of issues with credit cards...first my credit card company "shut off" my card for possible fraud...I found that out in Texas pan handle...one call it was turned back on...I now call each time we leave to let them know it is me travling thru so many states and not someone who stole my card.

Next with fuel at $4/gallon...ALL fill ups were easily over the gas stations self imposed "shut offs" at the pumps...so I found $75 and $100 shutoffs...in the end it was easier to simply go INSIDE and GIVE them my card, pump and then go back and pay...almost all the stations asked "how much"?...and I always told them $160...they only charged you what you used and they had my card but they still wanted to know "how much"...

The HIGHEST fuel I found that trip was outside of Amarillo TX in a little middle of the way station...I was pumping and there was a guy next to me pumping diesel...I said "what gives don't you guys pump it out of the ground here?"...to which he replied...no this station is crazy...only pump what you need until you get to the Flying J just east of Amarillo and the fuel will be $0.40 per gallon cheaper...and it was...

Old 04-26-2011, 11:50 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 91 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by X_Hemi_Guy
...but they still wanted to know "how much"...
Because the card needs to be pre-authorized for an amount. It then "holds" that amount and when you're finished pumping, it releases the hold and the actual amount is put through. Sometimes though, it can take hours for the hold to be released.

Stewart

Old 04-26-2011, 02:56 PM
VR6Nutt
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by X_Hemi_Guy
The alternatives to fossil fuel will NOT come from the oil companies...they are making way too much money on it and will continue to make BILLIONS on it until a true alternative is found...they have no incentive to look for alternatives...PERIOD!!!

in fact they have an incentive to NOT look for it and STOP/slow others from bringing theirs to market!!!...their livelihood and HUGE executive bonuses depends on it!
This is very true. However, whatever "alternatives" that do emerge to market will definitely have an oil company name on it!

Oil companies have always slowed/eliminated others from bringing new tech to market. 100MPG on gas has been around for a long time. Remember the super carburetor?

I just wish I had easy (and willing) access to waste oil from Mc Donalds or other fast food places - turns out you have to be approved and permitted to p/u old waste oil. Then I'd make my own bio.

...in the end its all about control...

Old 04-26-2011, 03:00 PM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 266 Likes on 171 Posts
Control is right. Control the fuel and food supplies and the populace has no choice but to follow.