Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

intake change write up?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 10:31 AM
ChristopherN
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
intake change write up?

Hey, I've done some searching(and there is alot on this subject) and I can't seem to find a write up (if there is one) for changing the intake on these trucks. I have friday off and I would like to make use of that day and change the intake to the explorer 5.0 one. Can I keep my exisiting throttle cables and associated things and just bolt up to it? I know the air filter will have to be relocated, but what is all involved?

Old 04-20-2011, 12:32 PM
DBGrif91
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
If they're both 5.0 intakes, everything should be the same, or at least easily adaptable to one another.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:27 PM
ChristopherN
Elder User
Easily adaptable, meaning the f150's stock linkage will bolt up no problem? What is on top of my current intake manifold? There's a few different wires plugged into this device, will I need to take the one off the explorer as well? Will I be noticing any improvements if I change, just the upper intake?

Old 04-20-2011, 03:48 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 951 Likes on 755 Posts
Changing to a car style intake is not a simple plug and play job, the intake itself will bolt-on no problem but both the electrical harness and vacuum lines that attach to the upper portion have to be reorganized. In your case you will also need to fabricate a retainer plate for the truck throttle and TV cables because as usual Ford used different cables on the cars and sport utilities. The airbox doesn't have to move but you will also need some custom air ducting to attach it to the single throttlebody or you could replace the truck airbox with one from another vehicle.

And after all this work you're really not going to notice any difference in engine power because the truck intake is not at all restrictive on this motor, it is actually larger than the Explorer intake and has more throttlebody.

Old 04-20-2011, 04:09 PM
ChristopherN
Elder User
I've been hearing mixed reviews, so just changing the intake is not going to do anything noticeable?

Old 04-20-2011, 04:48 PM
DBGrif91
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Conanski
Changing to a car style intake is not a simple plug and play job, the intake itself will bolt-on no problem but both the electrical harness and vacuum lines that attach to the upper portion have to be reorganized. In your case you will also need to fabricate a retainer plate for the truck throttle and TV cables because as usual Ford used different cables on the cars and sport utilities. The airbox doesn't have to move but you will also need some custom air ducting to attach it to the single throttlebody or you could replace the truck airbox with one from another vehicle.

And after all this work you're really not going to notice any difference in engine power because the truck intake is not at all restrictive on this motor, it is actually larger than the Explorer intake and has more throttlebody.
This is why I love this forum- experts.

Chris just listen to Conanski- I was basing my advice on the fact that they're both 5.0 intakes. I'm not very technical with this stuff, sorry.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:17 PM
rla2005
Hotshot
Received 1,156 Likes on 914 Posts
Paul has done a lot of research on the 5.0 intakes as well as practical experience. We may butt heads from time to time, but I will agree with him on this one. You are wasting your time to swap an Explorer intake.

More gains are found in ditching the factory y-pipe and converters. I prefer going the aftermarket y-pipe and highflow converter route or stepping up to long tube headers and custom exhaust depending on your situation and cash flow.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:51 PM
ChristopherN
Elder User
Ok, glad I didn't dig myself into that mess.

My situation? I'd like to be able work on my truck to make it faster, but be able to drive it home at the end of the day since it's my only car since I'd mostly be working on it in the comfort of a heated warehouse at my work. I bought my truck with chrome headers, but how can I tell if their long or short tube? I need to replace the exhaust from the headers all the way back but I don't have access to a welder, nor do I own a setup to do such a job.

I did a zero to 60 tonight and it came in at 9.6 seconds. I'd like to shorten i by possibly 1 or possibly 2 seconds. but 7 is touching lightening territory, is it feasible with a 5.0? My cashflow isn't really much and I drive 100 and change miles a week and my leadfoot doesn't help in the mpg department.