1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

DIESEL RANGER

Old 04-17-2011, 06:04 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
I think they are giving the IDI controller more credit than it's worth.

The controller doesn't "sense" anything. All it is a switch with a timer.

It sends voltage to trigger the relay, nothing more.

From the schematic, voltage comes from the relay to the glow plugs and to the GP "Wait" light.

Josh

Old 04-18-2011, 06:38 PM
tempforce
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the controller integrates the clutch, transmission, temp switches. controls the voltage and timing to the glow plugs.

i went to a mazda dealership to locate a replacement glow controller.
i was also working on building my own controller.
when my controller started working again, that was three years ago... still working.
starters and 4 speed transmissions are my pet peeve with my truck.
heres a site with some info and contacts concerning the 2.2 mazda built perkins diesel.
glow plug sources, part numbers, injection pump seal repairs, general info, ect.
mazda diesel - Home
cc

Old 04-18-2011, 07:22 PM
montana_highboy
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Thanks for the link tempforce, so if i understand you correctly you never sourced a controller thru a Mazda dealership?

i'm in total agreement with you on the 4spd, a 5spd should have been an option, i know the Mazda 5spd is a popular swap for diesel Ranger owners.

what issues are you having with the starter? i know they're like $300 new, fortunately i haven't had to replace mine, still has the factory original Mitsubishi starter (yes, Mitsubishi).

what glow plugs do you use? i'm currently using NGK's (not a lot of options available) i'd like to run Motorcraft ZD2's but can't find them any cheaper than $40 each!

Old 04-19-2011, 11:40 AM
tempforce
Senior User
the 5 speed was an option along with dual fuel tanks and 4x4 on the diesel ranger. i've seen a example of each. my starter has been replaced three times. once by the previous owner. the transmission was rebuilt/replaced twice by the former owner and needs it again. the rear end is starting to make noise, probably rebuild/replace it in the next year or two.
i've replaced the leaking seals in the injection pump, throttle shaft.
the glow plugs are original as far as i know. the controller i located was in the northwest. the dealer found it in their computer system, at $500+. so as long as mine was working part time i wasn't going to replace it. that's when i started research on building my own controller. i bought the circuits and relays/timers. but my controller started working. i've since used the components on other projects.
i do plan on changing out the steering wheel to a newer one when i tear-down and paint the truck in a couple years. (to get rid of the horn on the turn signal issue).
i plan on painting it the same or similar as it came from the factory.
i've put over 100k miles on the truck since i've bought it. and it figures out to be pretty easy on the budget over all.
i average 26-38 on the highway. speed/load and fuel makes the differences.
the 26mpg was on freeway with 6k load 70+mph.
the 38 was empty two lane road 58 mph. (several tanks averaged out).
i am running a two tank heated veggie oil and factory diesel fuel system.
when i do my rebuild, i'm planning on installing a 5 speed transmission. as having the cab off the frame, will make fab work easier. for the mounts ect. the 1st gen mazda rx-7 transmission will mount up according to some sources. i'm thinking of building or have a custom bell housing made, so i can use a mustang, miata, ect. manual transmission. whichever 5 speed will fit the best...
research the forum and do the valve cover mod, asap. it will cut down or remove most of your engine oil leaks. doing the valve cover mod, removes lots of the blowby pressure from the engine.
cc

Old 04-19-2011, 12:01 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
As an RX7 owner that is quite familiar with 1st gen stuff (own 3 of those), I can give you a quick heads up on the trans. If a 1st gen trans will fit, so will a 2nd gen N/A trans. The only external difference between gen 1 & gen 2 non turbo transmissions is the shifter location. The 86-91 trans has the shifter approx 1.5-2" further back than the 81-85 trans. Avoid the 79-80 trans. It is physically the same on the outside, except for shifter location (1.5-2" further foward than 81-85, and 3-4" more than 86-91) but it has some internal weaknesses that the diesel would likely expose quickly.
Here's a good link explaining the various differences in RX7 (and other rotary) transmissions over the years. Transmission

Hope that helps.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:22 PM
montana_highboy
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by tempforce
the 5 speed was an option along with dual fuel tanks and 4x4 on the diesel ranger.
Are you referring to all years of diesel Rangers? i was under the impression (from what i've read) that only the 85-87 diesels were offered with 5 speeds and/or 4x4, and the 83-84 diesels didn't have those options available, i'm open to being schooled if i'm wrong here.

FWIW my '83 does have factory dual tanks though (1,100 miles between fill ups).

Old 04-19-2011, 02:25 PM
tempforce
Senior User
nope my comments are for the '83-84' diesel rangers.
the 5 speed was a special order along with the dual fuel tanks and 4x4.
i've seen one 4x4 with dual tanks.
one 5 speed and one more with dual tanks. the dual tanks are with the long bed only.
the '85-87' used a Mitsubishi engine and transmission.
that transmission interchanged with the gas motors.
where our transmissions will not interchange with other mazda/rangers with gas engines.
our transmissions have integral bell housings. which only fit a select few applications.
i usually make an effort to stop and visit with other '83-84' diesel ranger owners.
as there are so few of us around.
i usually mention this site and the other site i linked above.
cc

Old 04-19-2011, 03:34 PM
montana_highboy
Post Fiend
nope my comments are for the '83-84' diesel rangers.
That's very interesting, i've never had the luxury of seeing another diesel Ranger in person, but i've seen hundreds online over the years and i don't recall ever seeing a single 83-84 that was a 4x4 or a 5 speed (that wasn't swapped with a Mazda 5 speed).

On the other hand i've seen plenty of 85-87's online that were 4x4's and/or 5 speeds, not doubting your word but do you have any links you can post with 83-84's factory equipped with 4x4 and/or a 5spd? i'd really like to see them, i try to learn all i can about these rare trucks, information can be sparse at best.

I know when i'm at the gas station filling up (which isn't often ) my diesel Ranger never fails to elicit comment and i usually end up in a 20min conversation every time.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:28 PM
tempforce
Senior User
i wish ford would of kept that info, some guy in phoenix bought it several years ago. ford now buys info from him when they need old documents. i don't know his name, so that is a dead end.
with the 4x4 i was trying to help the guy get parts for his 4 speed tranny rebuild.
he was the second owner, a family member of his bought it new, it was a '84'.
the 5 speed i met the guy in winston, oregon, it had the two tank long bed. he was the original owner. then the other 2 tank was in a wrecking yard in salem, oregon. (about 6 years ago)..
and i do get lots of looks when i pull up to the diesel pumps and start filling the rig. i've even had one attendant stop the pump and go to put gas in.
in oregon you can self serve diesel only. all other fuels they have to fill your rig.
you have to watch them to make sure they use the correct pump.
i've had some discussions, until i show them the stickers. that say diesel fuel.
and of course the french fried and chicken smell, when i'm using cooking oil draws some attention.
my friends call the rig, the french fried chicken machine.
cc

Old 04-19-2011, 07:36 PM
Bullitt390

i wish ford would of kept that info, some guy in phoenix bought it several years ago. ford now buys info from him when they need old documents. i don't know his name, so that is a dead end.
Kevin Marti Marti Auto Works - Concourse Quality, Hobbyist Price

Josh

Old 04-19-2011, 09:29 PM
tempforce
Senior User
didn't cover the year.. i'll check other places when i get a chance.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:46 PM
montana_highboy
Post Fiend
heres a site with some info and contacts concerning the 2.2 mazda built perkins diesel.
glow plug sources, part numbers, injection pump seal repairs, general info, ect.
mazda diesel - Home
I finally got around to checking out that site, great resource for the Perkins Ranger! much thanks.

Old 04-23-2011, 05:10 PM
montana_highboy
Post Fiend
Update: I got my controller working with help from Grady over on the Mazda forum.

Old 07-09-2011, 05:05 PM
montana_highboy
Post Fiend
Here's a pic of the 'ol girl...

Old 07-09-2011, 05:31 PM
Bullitt390

Awesome!

Josh

Search this Thread