6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

JP-8 Jet Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 07:38 PM
LKCKR
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JP-8 Jet Fuel

OK here's a weird question, I've been told that jet fuel would be OK to use in my 6.0 Powerstroke. Is it true and what are the conciquences good or bad?

Old 04-13-2011, 07:46 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
All I can say is you're playing Russian Roulette with a 15 grand engine. I wouldn't even ask the question.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:55 PM
wulfman
Posting Guru

I may be crazy but i have heard everything the army has will run on JP8

Old 04-13-2011, 07:59 PM
XB70
Elder User
Jet A is selling for $5.45 per gallon in Southern California today. JP8 is the military equivalent.

Why would you even ask about using jet fuel in your truck at this price level unless some of it fell off the tanker truck? Since you're asking about JP8, do you have "access" to a military fuel tanker?

Old 04-13-2011, 08:01 PM
max6698
New User
why would even want to try and run jet fuel? I can tell you for sure and certain that you would have more than just exhaust coming out the tailpipe. I agree with 69cj 15K engine is a little to big of a chance

Old 04-13-2011, 08:06 PM
Lou Braun
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Some very good information from the Army's experience using JP8 as diesel fuel is listed in http://www.almc.army.mil/alog/issues...3;reality.html.

Basically, lubricity issues at high temperarure is a problem. Low termperature operation is OK.

Lou Braun

Old 04-13-2011, 08:11 PM
monckywrench
Cargo Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I may be crazy but i have heard everything the army has will run on JP8
That's not crazy at all. The move towards multifuel engines makes logistics sense and was done years ago. The standards for aircraft fuel are higher in terms of contaminants then motor fuel, and it has different additives.

JP-8 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When fuel is drained from civilian aircraft under some circumstances it is illegal to reuse for aviation, and lucky diesel owners who work at the right jobs can haul it off free to save HAZMAT fees. Otherwise it goes in the Safety-Kleen truck.

Check the powerstroke forums. Some folks run extra lube supplements or mix it with diesel.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:04 PM
LKCKR
Junior User
Thanks guys I really wasn't seriously thinking about doing it, I am one of those lucky diesel owners that work at a job where I have access to JP-8 we drain from the F-22 Raptor when we pull the engines, some guys at work mentioned it and I wanted some clarification on the subject.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:22 PM
rdunagan
Posting Guru
ive heard of it. ive heard that you get good fuel mileage and awesome performance! i have also heard of 8 MELTED pistons and turbos SHATTERING and things like that. but hey if you can make it work let me know ill start buying it from you IF you can make it safe!!

Old 04-13-2011, 10:55 PM
bradyracing
Senior User
It will work. I've done it. I would run it as a blend and not straight. I get mine from an airport also when they drain it from planes. I may be the wrong person to ask though because I've run liquified styrofoam peanuts through my 6.0 just to see what would happen. It's all just one big expieriment so I don't care.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:03 PM
maxum96
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jet fuel is the same as kerosene. A diesel engine will run on jet fuel, kerosene, motor oil, and other things. Jet fuel and kerosene are basically the same as diesel fuel. But they lack any oil for lubrication of the fuel injectors. So you'll probably destroy the fuel injectors, and on an engine with a mechanical fuel pump, you'll wreck the pump.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:52 PM
Mich6.0
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
BE VERY CAREFULL WITH JP-8 IT BURNS AT A HIGHER TEMP THAN THE PREVIOS JP-4 OR JET A. IF YOU GET SOME ON YOUR SKIN YOU FEEL A BURNING SENSATION UNLIKE JP-4. WHEN JP-8 FIRST CAME OUT THE ARMY AND AIRFORCE BOTH HAD PROBLEMS USING IT IN THEIR HUMVES,LIKE SOME ELSE SAID THE MELTED THE MOTORS ON A COUPLE UNITS. THE REASON THE MILITARY WENT TO JP-8 IS THE HIGHER FLASH PIONT,NOW IF YOU CAN GET AHOLD OF THE PLUS 100 ADDITIVE IT WOULD CLEAN UP YOUR FUEL SYSTEMBUT NOT SURE IF THE INJECTOR ORINGS WILL LAST AS THE STUFF IS REALLY HARD ON STUFF. SO YOU WORK AT LANGLEY OR KIRLAND I SEE. GOING TO KIRKLAND NEXT WEEK ,SEEMS THEY ARE MOVING ANOTHER BASE THEIR DUE TO THE BRAK SHUTDOWN.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:11 AM
p-nut
Senior User
Originally Posted by Mich6.0
BE VERY CAREFULL WITH JP-8 IT BURNS AT A HIGHER TEMP THAN THE PREVIOS JP-4 OR JET A. IF YOU GET SOME ON YOUR SKIN YOU FEEL A BURNING SENSATION UNLIKE JP-4. WHEN JP-8 FIRST CAME OUT THE ARMY AND AIRFORCE BOTH HAD PROBLEMS USING IT IN THEIR HUMVES,LIKE SOME ELSE SAID THE MELTED THE MOTORS ON A COUPLE UNITS. THE REASON THE MILITARY WENT TO JP-8 IS THE HIGHER FLASH PIONT,NOW IF YOU CAN GET AHOLD OF THE PLUS 100 ADDITIVE IT WOULD CLEAN UP YOUR FUEL SYSTEMBUT NOT SURE IF THE INJECTOR ORINGS WILL LAST AS THE STUFF IS REALLY HARD ON STUFF. SO YOU WORK AT LANGLEY OR KIRLAND I SEE. GOING TO KIRKLAND NEXT WEEK ,SEEMS THEY ARE MOVING ANOTHER BASE THEIR DUE TO THE BRAK SHUTDOWN.
I was in the Air force, still work for the Air force and drive diesel govs every day. They dont stock diesel fuel. Only JP-8 and Mo-gas. Mo-gas is on its way out. jp-8 has been powering hummers, dodge ford and chevy bobtails and diesel engined support equipment for YEARS without any serious issue.

JP-8 has a lower flashpoint than diesel at 100 deg. Diesel has a flashpoint of 143ish degrees. Jet-a is the civilian equivalent of jp-8. They went to jp-8 because it was less flammable and less hazardous. Flammability and flashpoint are two very different things. The biggest problem with JP-4 that warranted an upgrade was non conductive fuel and the fact that it could build up its own static electricity when being moved through pipes and tanks possibly cuasing itself to ignite.

This excerpt is taken from a de-classified AF technical order and has been used in places such as Wikipedia.org and other places.

"JP-8 (or Navy JP-5) is used as a fuel for aircraft, heaters, stoves, tanks and by the U.S. military as a replacement for diesel fuel in the engines of nearly all tactical ground vehicles and electrical generators, and as a coolant in engines and some other aircraft components. The use of a single fuel greatly simplifies logistics."

They didn't have problems with it melting engines but it does cause premature wear of HPOP, injectors and exhaust valve seats due to low sulphur content and undefined lubricity conditions. The 6.5L turbo GM diesel used in hummers was not really affected by the change but for one thing, under very cold conditions the trucks were hard to start and idled roughly until the combustion chambers were sufficently warmed. The 6.2L was uneffected by the fuel. It also doesn't gel at low temps.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:22 AM
p-nut
Senior User
Originally Posted by maxum96
Jet fuel is the same as kerosene. A diesel engine will run on jet fuel, kerosene, motor oil, and other things. Jet fuel and kerosene are basically the same as diesel fuel. But they lack any oil for lubrication of the fuel injectors. So you'll probably destroy the fuel injectors, and on an engine with a mechanical fuel pump, you'll wreck the pump.
Its not quite the same as kerosene. There is a lubricuty factor but isn't defined. Turbine engines have hydro-mechanical or auto-manual fuel controls that operate very similarly to the injection pump on a diesel engine. These parts dont wear out on turbine engines that often and mostly are chaged due to outside defects and not fuel lubricity.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:23 AM
p-nut
Senior User
deleted

Quick Reply: JP-8 Jet Fuel