6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Need some advise.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 11:03 AM
nyfd30
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some advise.

Hello, I am new to this site and need some advise. A little about me, I am looking to buy a F250-F350 6.7 diesel lariat cc/sb. I live on long island in NY. I have owned a ford my whole life. I pull a 8600lb camper and looking to move into a 5th wheel, so I am looking to upgrade my truck. This will be my first diesel motor. I have been reading most of the forums on this site and have some questions.

1) looking for MPG's. Hwy/town - towing? I plan on keeping it stock. I have read several of the forums, and the mpg's are very different.
2) Is there alot of maintenance on a diesel? If so, things I should know.
3) I am reading about a FLASH? Not sure I understand this.
4) Rapid heat option - is this option needed? Do diesels take that long to heat up.
5) 20 inch wheels - how much towing weight will I lose? I have searched and can't find a answer.
6) Any incentives that I should bring to the dealers attention?

Any help will be greatly appreciated, as I am going shopping next week. I can't lie, I am a little nervous about the diesel. But from what I have read, seems most people on this site are happy with their trucks. The whole "new motor" thing people keep telling me to watch out for, has me a little on the fence. Thanks again, Mike

Old 04-12-2011, 11:59 AM
mach8274
Tuned
I have had my truck now for almost 2 months. I also have a travel trailer that weighs about 9000 lbs. I hqve to keep checking my mirrors to make sure it's still behind me. You will love the power the new engine has.

As for maint. Yes it is slightly more to maintain than a gasser. Oil changes cost more and you need to change fuel filters every 10k miles.

This engine has been out now for about a year. Very few problems have been reported with the engine. Most of the problems that have been reported are minor. You have a 5yr/100k warranty on the engine.

Hope this helps, good luck in your search.

Dave

Old 04-12-2011, 12:02 PM
doczenith1
More Turbo
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by nyfd30
4) Rapid heat option - is this option needed? Do diesels take that long to heat up.
Absolutely get this option! I've have heard of so many people who didn't get the option and wished they did. At only $250 at time of order it's well worth the price. Word on the street is that it cost $3000 to add it after the fact. And yes, diesels do take long to heat up.

Old 04-12-2011, 12:02 PM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
I'll take a shot at a few of your questions, but I'd strongly encourage you to search for answers to your questions as they all have been answered many times here.

Hello, I am new to this site and need some advise. A little about me, I am looking to buy a F250-F350 6.7 diesel lariat cc/sb. I live on long island in NY. I have owned a ford my whole life. I pull a 8600lb camper and looking to move into a 5th wheel, so I am looking to upgrade my truck. This will be my first diesel motor. I have been reading most of the forums on this site and have some questions.

1) looking for MPG's. Hwy/town - towing? I plan on keeping it stock. I have read several of the forums, and the mpg's are very different.

I think realistic numbers are 14 city and 18 highway. Some will do better, some will do worse. The driver has a lot to do with this.

More than a gas engine as far as cost goes (more oil per change, etc), but not necessarily more frequency.

Flash is when the truck's computer is reprogrammed or flashed with new software.

I went back and forth on this myself living in upstate, NY. A salesman started 2 trucks for me on a 15 degree day and the one without supplemental heat took over 10 minutes to begin blowing warm air while the supplemental heat truck was producing 70 degree air immediately. For the $200 or so I decided it was worth the cost.

5) 20 inch wheels - how much towing weight will I lose? I have searched and can't find a answer.

None...choose the wheels you like. Some option packages will exclude the 20" wheels (camper package, etc)

They'll know all of them. Start requesting brochures from the MyFord site and you may receive a $750 private cash coupon that you can use to lower the cost.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, as I am going shopping next week. I can't lie, I am a little nervous about the diesel. But from what I have read, seems most people on this site are happy with their trucks. The whole "new motor" thing people keep telling me to watch out for, has me a little on the fence. Thanks again, Mike

Old 04-12-2011, 12:04 PM
houstonmr
Senior User

The new diesel and the new locking rear axle is largely what brought me back to Ford trucks after a 20 year break. I am averaging about 17 mpg combined city and highway with a 2500 lb load. It gets around 18 combined mpg without the load. There is a slightly higher cost to oil and other filter changes, but if you can work a decent deal with the dealer, you can get the maintenance plan that is cheaper than buying the oil and filters myself. I love the truck and the new features. Be sure to get the 5th wheel prep that is a slick frame-mounted system with the proper attachments that come up through the bed. I don't have a 5th wheel. so I am not up on all the terms, but my truck came with this feature since it had all the other options I wanted. My truck was built to the 1/2011 specs, so there was no need for any of the flashes. I have the 18" wheels which I think are better off the road where I use the truck often. I will let folks who tow a lot comment on the 20" wheels. I think you have more tire options for the 18" sized rims. The incentives cam be found on the Ford website. I took a fair amount of time building different configurations on the Ford site before deciding what I wanted. I highly recommend doing some research on the site before you visit the dealer. There is a TON of information on this site for the 2011's also.

Old 04-12-2011, 12:04 PM
mach8274
Tuned
Let me add a little more...

I am getting 16.5 mpg in town, about 12 towing my TT.

I also have the 20" wheels. If you get the 20's, the only axle ratio you can get is 3.55. This combo works very well towing. I think my tow cap is close to 13k conventional and 14k fifth wheel.

I have the rapid heat option as well. I'm in NC so it won't be used very often. Up in NY, I would def have it. It does work to take the chill out until the engine warms up.

Old 04-12-2011, 12:10 PM
cford716
Elder User
Originally Posted by doczenith1
Absolutely get this option! I've have heard of so many people who didn't get the option and wished they did. At only $250 at time of order it's well worth the price. Word on the street is that it cost $3000 to add it after the fact. And yes, diesels do take long to heat up.
I will second that.....did not get it and wish I had.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:52 PM
LongAcreFarm6.7
Freshman User
Have not picked up my truck but agree with Biggziff on the brochure. I got the private coupon today for $750. I get the truck thursday.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:23 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Towing MPG can drop to 10 if the winds are fighting you (10MPH headwind) but I average 12. Empty, you can achieve 18 or higher if you work at it.

Don't sweat towing capacity, any crew cab 4X4 will handle whatever you throw at it with ease if you get the diesel. If the fifth wheel you want weighs more than 12K you should go with the F350, maybe even with dual rear wheels. I'd say anything under 12K would be fine with single rear wheels. The 20" wheel vs. the 18" is a tough one. I have 20"'s and like them, they perform well but I would bet that 18's are a little smoother on the road. Performance wise, no issue.

I tow a variety of trailer on a regular basis for business. Two 16' box trailers, one 18' box trailer, one 36' fifth wheel cargo trailer, a dump trailer, and an open 16' flatbed. Personally, I have a 36' fifth wheel camper (I just got it so I don't have pics yet) also. I have 42K on my truck so far, and the thing is just as capable and solid as all the older SD models. Ford still makes a great SD truck and the new diesel motor is outstanding.

And, oil change intervals according to the engine computer. I generally get a little over 9K miles on an oil change. Fuel filters I run to about 15-20K. I used to change the oil on a gas engine every 5K miles. So you can figure best case scenario, that you'll get a 2:1 ratio on oil changes vs. gas and this makes the additional cost a lot more bearable.

Last edited by ruschejj; 04-13-2011 at 06:26 AM. Reason: oil
Old 04-13-2011, 06:30 AM
flaharleyguy
Senior User
For what its worth to the OP NYFD 30 I would not buy it until Ford has fixed the many issues with drive ability, CEL, computer issues. I wish I knew before i purchased I would have held off. That was my fault for not looking for the negatives. Love the truck but way too many computer problems.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:12 PM
nyfd30
Freshman User
Thanks for all the great info. I called ford cs today, hope the $750 comes with the brochure. Going to my dealer Tuesday.
Flaharleyguy - thanks, but it looks like their is more people happy with the trucks than not. I will take a chance - want to do some camping in upstate NY, so need the truck to pull the camper up the mountians.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:16 PM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Thanks for all the great info. I called ford cs today, hope the $750 comes with the brochure. Going to my dealer Tuesday.
Flaharleyguy - thanks, but it looks like their is more people happy with the trucks than not. I will take a chance - want to do some camping in upstate NY, so need the truck to pull the camper up the mountians.
What part of upstate New York?

Old 04-13-2011, 03:29 PM
flaharleyguy
Senior User
I wish you good fortune with the truck. My fingers are crossed for you! take care

Old 04-13-2011, 06:58 PM
nyfd30
Freshman User
Anywhere - my f150 couldn't handel the weight so the last 2 years I have been restricted to just Long Island. Thinking catskills, Lake George, Thousand Islands. Wife wants to go to Darin Lake by Buffalo, NY.
Are you from NY

Old 04-13-2011, 07:01 PM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
Anywhere - my f150 couldn't handel the weight so the last 2 years I have been restricted to just Long Island. Thinking catskills, Lake George, Thousand Islands. Wife wants to go to Darin Lake by Buffalo, NY.
Are you from NY
I'm in NY and there are some great camping opportunities here and in PA. It's great when you open up your horizons with the right truck!