Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tougher suspension needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 03:00 PM
Mandroid
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tougher suspension needed

Hi

I got a 1993 F150 XLT, with the 300 cui inline 6.

I just had a drop kit 3'' drop-kit installed in the front and a 5'' in the rear, so it would be easier to load my race bikes onto the truck.
At the same time I had the stock 15'' wheels replaced with 8'' by 20'' with 265 tires.
Looks great, but now the problem is, that every now and then the wheels touch the top of the wheel well.
Being German and as such having grown up with a different approach to driving, I'm a fan of tougher suspension anyway, so the truck doesn't lean and wobble that much, when I take it through fast turns.

Question is, what is out there for sale (front/rear), that would toughen up what now feels more like a swing boat.
I'd really prefer coil overs, especially because I'm planning to replace the old inline 6 with something that resembles a 351 V8 as well.

So, any input would be greatly appreciated...

--Rgds,
Sven

Old 04-10-2011, 04:03 PM
turnkyle
Elder User
I would look into airbags for the rear, not sure about the front. The airbags would also help when you have bikes loaded in the bed.

Old 04-10-2011, 05:36 PM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
Received 379 Likes on 285 Posts
Originally Posted by turnkyle
I would look into airbags for the rear, not sure about the front. The airbags would also help when you have bikes loaded in the bed.
True but then you'd need compressors and an air tank. Not to mention relays, pressure switch and wiring. Thats alot of cost, believe me I have an 06 ranger on airride and its a PITA.

Not sure what you used to drop it, but maybe look into Eibach springs. Did you go with an overall taller tire? That may be the issue.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:39 AM
Mandroid
New User
Originally Posted by Edgethis
True but then you'd need compressors and an air tank. Not to mention relays, pressure switch and wiring. Thats alot of cost, believe me I have an 06 ranger on airride and its a PITA.

Not sure what you used to drop it, but maybe look into Eibach springs. Did you go with an overall taller tire? That may be the issue.
In the rear I've got the axle flip kit from lmctrucks.com (5" lower) and in the front the lowering I-Beams from lmctrucks.com (3' lower).
The tires are 265/50s on 20" by 8.5" rims, so the overall diameter is practically identical to stock config.

Cost is not so much of an issue, as long as an air ride conversion is a reliable/durable alternative. I don't want something that breaks every 4 weeks...

Old 04-11-2011, 06:45 AM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
Full air ride if some right can be dependable but its definitely not cheap. Heck they have lil computers that you hook it all up to and it monitors everything. In park it'll lower the truck down and in gear it'll raise it up automatically. If a.bag gets a small leak it'll just add air to compensate. Problem is its very expensive to have it all fabbed right to begin with. After that its nice. Check out suicidedoors.com to get an idea of prices.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:55 AM
Mandroid
New User
Full air ride if some right can be dependable but its definitely not cheap. Heck they have lil computers that you hook it all up to and it monitors everything. In park it'll lower the truck down and in gear it'll raise it up automatically. If a.bag gets a small leak it'll just add air to compensate. Problem is its very expensive to have it all fabbed right to begin with. After that its nice. Check out suicidedoors.com to get an idea of prices.
Cool, thanks!
So, for about 2.500 bucks, that would most likely solve the problem with the rear suspension, but what about the front, which in my opinion is more pressing?

Old 04-11-2011, 07:11 AM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
You could put bags up front as well. Just do a separate valve for each wheel so there's no sway side to side cause the pressure is held on each side. You can raise it up or just add a touch more air which will make it stiffer but approx same ride height. If you're already baggin the rear the front is only a few hundred few.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:56 AM
CJM8515
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You screwed the pooch by lowering it. Buy smaller tires is the cheap fix, the expensive fix (were talking min 500 bucks) is airbags.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:30 AM
Mandroid
New User
You could put bags up front as well. Just do a separate valve for each wheel so there's no sway side to side cause the pressure is held on each side. You can raise it up or just add a touch more air which will make it stiffer but approx same ride height. If you're already baggin the rear the front is only a few hundred few.
Well.. i guess this is what I'll order:
Super Deluxe Air Suspension Kit by Air Suspension Inc

Old 04-11-2011, 10:39 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 967 Likes on 765 Posts
What about sway bars.. does your truck have them? If not adding a pair will greatly improve handling.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:44 AM
Mandroid
New User
Originally Posted by Conanski
What about sway bars.. does your truck have them? If not adding a pair will greatly improve handling.
Hi Paul
Not yet, but they"re on the shopping list!