1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Exhaust ticking sound, very loud, very annoying.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 04:05 PM
nothercrash
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exhaust ticking sound, very loud, very annoying.

I replaced the header gasket, replaced the flange gasket (header to main tubes), stopped the pinging, and my engine haaas gotten alot quieter, but I am left with this AWFUL leaky exhaust sound! And I can't find the source!

I've isolated it to the driver's side of the engine, below the head but above the header flange I think, the headers are fairly new, certainly nowhere close to being rusted out or anything. I can't see or feel any major leak coming from the 4-1 collector area, but this is I'm like 80% sure where the sound is coming from.

My worries are that it is coming from either the engines rear bottom end, or like the torque converter, but I really don't get that sense. Is it common for headers to leak at the 4-1 collector right from the factory?

Hooker Headers, 2V, long tube to 3 bolt flange, from a 400 with 9.2 CR.

Thanks for any help, AleX

Old 04-08-2011, 04:15 PM
Sleepy445FE
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used to have a leak on my passenger side that I couldn't get rid of. Replaced gaskets and it still leaked. Pull the head and found ex. valve on #3 cyl was toast. Replaced/Upgraded heads. It still leaked from that side. I decided that the surface of the the header flange must be warped or pitted or something so I got these Remflex gaskets that are super thick. No leaks since. You should be able to find where it's coming from. It'll take a few cold starts and feeling around to feel the air (definitely don't do it on a hot engine lol). If you can't find it externally then it might be time to turn your thoughts to internals.

Forgot to mention the headers that leaked for me were new, they are also Hookers.

Old 04-08-2011, 04:37 PM
nothercrash
Posting Guru
Well, I actually just found the leak, or, a leak. Right after posting the thought occurred to me to use a rubber tube as a stethoscope, in place of the metal pipe I had been using until now, and god what a difference that makes..... With the metal pipe, you get all the sound from the whole surrounding area, all banging off the side of the pipe, and you really can't pinpoint much of anything, but with a piece of radiator hose, you really do have a stethoscope. One inch of movement made the difference from where I could hear it, and where I couldn't, and as soon as I slid the hose end over the joint area, wham, an almost painfully loud, totally clear, crackle/fart sound. So problem solved, but geez, that doesn't make me feel good about Hooker headers. These don't have 1000 miles on them, only about 14 sparsely driven months. Fixing them is gunna be a nightmare.... I have to weld like 8 inches inside the collector. Well, at least I know it's nothing serious.

Watch out for Hookers I guess everybody.

AleX

Old 04-08-2011, 04:39 PM
nothercrash
Posting Guru
I had rewelded and mirror smoothed both the head and collector flanges by the way, so I knew with new gaskets, it definitely wasn't coming from there.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:26 PM
rdweathers
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have Headman headers new out of the box, it took two gaskets on the passenger side to make the ticking stop.What is going on with typing tonight on this site?

Old 04-08-2011, 08:59 PM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's simply brilliant!!! Awesome idea to use rubber hose to isolate that. Wish i knew about that when i chased an exhaust leak last year. I've got to remember that one. Thanks.

Old 04-08-2011, 11:33 PM
co425
Cargo Master
Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts
Stay away from flow techs as well. Garbage leaky headers. They also hit the oil pan. This time I went with L&L's. Much nicer fit and a half inch thick header flange. Bet these puppies arent warped. I am trying out the soft copper gaskets with the embossed ring in them. If I have an issues I am going to go with the remflex gaskets. I doubt any issues though.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:08 AM
nothercrash
Posting Guru
Rdweathers, I had weird glitchy skippy typing issues on here about 3 nights ago. It happened on internet explorer, and eventually froze my whole computer. I downloaded google chrome and haven't had a problem since. Weird though....

Well I'd heard Flowtechs were not to be bothered with, but I also heard pretty good things about Hookers. This is disappointing. Don't even get me started on fit though, that's a different matter all together, one of my headers dumps out 3 inches in front of, and vertically completely centered toward, the trans crossmember. I couldn't even bend the tube, I had to weld together wedges. And the other one required me to cut away the cab heat shield in one place.

My neighbor owns an early 70's Corvette, and loves cars, and when I got these he came over and said "I bet this is the last set of headers you ever buy". I had no idea what he was talking about at the time, but he might have been right.....

Old 04-09-2011, 01:17 AM
Sleepy445FE
Posting Guru
Headers in general are known to be tricky to keep from leaking. My Hookers (ha sounds like I'm a pimp) fit great, easily installed, and once I had the Remflex gasket on, I haven't had a problem since. So I'm not going to be too quick with the hooker bashing. A little more quality control seems to be in order though. Sounds like a terrible fit in your case though.

Old 04-09-2011, 02:13 AM
miottimouse
Posting Guru
so it seems hookers are no better than any thing else on the market exept for price i have all headmans on 460s aluminum percys gaskets [including the collectors w/doubled locknuts] no leaks here

Old 04-09-2011, 01:20 PM
nothercrash
Posting Guru
I had Headmans on a 351W and they sounded fine, but I never got to put any exhaust behind them before I crashed so I dunno. I don't think they were in a very different price bracket than the Hookers though?

Old 04-09-2011, 01:39 PM
montana_highboy
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by miottimouse
aluminum percys gaskets no leaks here
Same here, i use Percy's "dead soft" aluminum header gaskets, kinda pricey at $30 but they don't leak so i'm happy.