Sponsored by: DP Tuner

I'm now a victim...

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 02:31 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
Originally Posted by remhaust
I agree 100%. There are filters before putting into ur vehicle. But doesnt mean that water or gas is in there.
Well I just took a sample of fuel from my truck and guess what it smells like...GAS!

I knew I wasn't crazy!

Old 04-09-2011, 02:54 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
Well I just took a sample of fuel from my truck and guess what it smells like...GAS!

I knew I wasn't crazy!
That sucks big time. Hope you get this rectifief soon. I hate to have my vehicle down for any length of time.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:09 PM
dn29626
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
What is your plan for correcting the problem?

Old 04-09-2011, 04:17 PM
ff1210
Senior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well as im sure you know already dont run it any more at all thats not good on a diesel. I hope you didnt run it much when it happened. If it has gas in it i hope you get all you can and then some out of them *******s.......

Old 04-09-2011, 06:03 PM
Tailgate77478
Laughing Gas

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ff1210
Well as im sure you know already dont run it any more at all thats not good on a diesel. I hope you didnt run it much when it happened. If it has gas in it i hope you get all you can and then some out of them *******s.......
The gas station will argue you selected "gas" instead of "diesel" from their pump. Unless, of course, you have the receipt proving it.

In that case, there will be A LOT of people bringing damages to that station, because it sounds like the fuel truck dumped his load in the wrong ground tank.

Old 04-09-2011, 06:14 PM
monckywrench
Cargo Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
The station may not have gotten their diesel tank topped off or topped off much. I'd go with a gas can and buy some from the same pump as a sample.

Old 04-09-2011, 06:22 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hoping for an easy resolution to this mess, good luck TD.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:56 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Update....

So I go by Di Performance (the ONLY people I trust to work on my truck other than myself) with a sample of fuel to basically verify the condition I'm experiencing and get things moving...

Here's what happened: some country boy with (dirty hands btw) looks me dead in the face and tells me that my fuel sample looks and smells like good diesel, and he's not callin' anybody a liar.

If I've every repressed rage, this was one of those times...

To ANYBODY else, people at work, at home, and anyone else who inquired, it smelled strongly of g-a-s-o-l-i-n-e!!!!!!!!

So now I have to take my truck the one place I NEVER EVER wanted to take it again....the stealership. Woohoo!!!!

Not gonna worry too much, the Good Lord above will take care of me...

I'll keep y'all posted...

Old 04-11-2011, 04:53 PM
monckywrench
Cargo Master
Find a diesel fuel lab online and send them a sample while retaining a quantity for yourself.

Looking and smelling don't substitute for a spectrometer. Military oil and fuel samples are tested every day all over the world, and remote labs follow the forces on deployment.

I've seen plenty of smart country boys with dirty hands, from fighter maintenance to welding, but none of them consider their nose better than a spectrometer.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:01 PM
papadelogan
Snowboard season cometh..

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
So I go by Di Performance (the ONLY people I trust to work on my truck other than myself) with a sample of fuel to basically verify the condition I'm experiencing and get things moving...

Here's what happened: some country boy with (dirty hands btw) looks me dead in the face and tells me that my fuel sample looks and smells like good diesel, and he's not callin' anybody a liar.

If I've every repressed rage, this was one of those times...

To ANYBODY else, people at work, at home, and anyone else who inquired, it smelled strongly of g-a-s-o-l-i-n-e!!!!!!!!

So now I have to take my truck the one place I NEVER EVER wanted to take it again....the stealership. Woohoo!!!!

Not gonna worry too much, the Good Lord above will take care of me...

I'll keep y'all posted...

Hmmm... if it has that much gasoline in it but he says it's all diesel, ask him to hold the sample & trying lighting it with a match. Diesel won't burn that way, but gasoline will....

Old 04-11-2011, 05:44 PM
monckywrench
Cargo Master
It's not important to convince some yokel who will resent the attempt, it's important to get scientific evidence that will support legal action.

Science. Precise quantifiable analysis by a disinterested third party. Oil and fuel sampling are fundamental to fleet maintenance worldwide. If you want to pursue this bring proof.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:39 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Originally Posted by papadelogan
Hmmm... if it has that much gasoline in it but he says it's all diesel, ask him to hold the sample & trying lighting it with a match. Diesel won't burn that way, but gasoline will....
I got a napkin and lit it and sure enough, it went up quick, fast, and in a hurry...

Old 04-12-2011, 08:28 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,145 Posts
The napkin is not a good test... 'Open cup flash point testing' is how the pipeline verifies the FP of diesel. They do this to verify the diesel doesn't have too much gasoline in it after switching products in the pipe. Even though they have fancy highly accurate equipment, the test is SIMPLE. A small cup of product (couple of oz's) is heated slowly and monitored with precision temp gauge and an open flame (like a Bic lighter) is applied to the top of the product. When the product will 'light' or carry a flame, the FP temp has been attained. FP of diesel is 125*-240*F. Obviously gasoline will ignite at room temp... Be careful, mmmmkay?

You will have no problem getting them to pay for it if you can prove you bought fuel there when they had the issue. There is no way you are the only one affected.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:17 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Originally Posted by SkySkiJason
The napkin is not a good test... 'Open cup flash point testing' is how the pipeline verifies the FP of diesel. They do this to verify the diesel doesn't have too much gasoline in it after switching products in the pipe. Even though they have fancy highly accurate equipment, the test is SIMPLE. A small cup of product (couple of oz's) is heated slowly and monitored with precision temp gauge and an open flame (like a Bic lighter) is applied to the top of the product. When the product will 'light' or carry a flame, the FP temp has been attained. FP of diesel is 125*-240*F. Obviously gasoline will ignite at room temp... Be careful, mmmmkay?

You will have no problem getting them to pay for it if you can prove you bought fuel there when they had the issue. There is no way you are the only one affected.
Noted...

I have 33.5 gallons I welcome them to test if they think I'm making it up. I called this morning for the status on things and reminded them of that fact since they take the time to record phonecalls.

Btw, I know I'm probably not the only one who has had the issue, but I'm sure they don't want me to know that....

Old 04-12-2011, 06:30 PM
dn29626
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
A simple test you can do that is dangerous so proceed with caution.

Put on protective gloves, maybe welding gloves. Pour a little in a small container and try to submerge a lit match in it. If the fuel ignites instead of extinguishing the match, you have gasoline or something similar.

Quick Reply: I'm now a victim...