1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Doin' what we can when we can

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 07:20 PM
tacson
Cargo Master

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts
Looks good BIG IV. If I can locate him another running hearse will he paint my 56' cab? Ha ha

Old 08-29-2011, 12:13 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,132 Likes on 2,656 Posts
Looking pretty nice, must be a great feeling to have it at this point of your build.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:05 PM
theodore/teddy
Refyred
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Looking good big iv. I'm envious!
Wally

Old 09-01-2011, 11:29 AM
BACAGrizz
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Nice. I like the color. Looks like it was worth the wait.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:34 AM
Big IV
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changing our Minds is fun

The Durabek paint chips arrived. Now we're trying to decide what color for the bed and the cab. I'm fairly sure we want them to match. I think we picked. It would have been nice to have that completely picked and have ordered in the bed liner kit before this three day weekend. Oh well. We'll find a pretty Saturday to spend on the bedliner. I want to get the bed liner done soon because the bed is still raw metal on top. Luckily I painted the underside with rust-o-leum before assembly.

We've altered the plan a little bit, but we're still moving forward. A few changes are natural, but we're still doing what we can when we can.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:54 PM
Big IV
Senior User
I don't have a spot to pull the truck inside to work on it, so my work has been weather permitting. Life has become fairly hectic recently. The days I've had off were rainy. The pretty days I had off I had a sprained ankle. Other things are competing for attention. Work keeps me from working on the truck without providing enough to let me finish the next step.

That round and round story seems to be mine.

Hopefully, tomorrow Dad and I can catch good enough weather to pull the engine. I need to change out a freeze plug and want to check on a few other items while I have the engine out. We'll have to see how it goes.

Has it been four months since anything changed on my truck?

Still tryin' to do what I can when I can.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:25 AM
Layed Out 100
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alot of us going through same type of stuff.....keep your head up.

Seams like life gets in the way sometimes, I have been working on mine for over a year and its still just a frame taking up space in the middle of my shop. I keep telling myself I will drive this thing one day. Normaly I get time to work on it about 2 hours a week.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:24 AM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Big IV, don't feel bad as it happens to all of us. These things never seem to get finished over night, that's a TV thing. I bought my panel in 99. Didn't start actual work on it until summer of 05 and I'm still not destined for the road for another couple years. Hang in there.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:45 AM
kenjh
Posting Guru
sounds like normal ..I got my truck on the road ..bearly...with help from friends ..and trying to clean it ...washed most of the paint off with moss and lichen ...and then the body started falling apart inches of bondo breaking off ..and this is where we go instead of a bar ...or worse..to our trucks ... our corner of sanity...this is sanity ..right ??

Old 03-02-2012, 05:38 PM
das54
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ditto ditto ditto . . . the past 4 weeks I've been going to paint my doors, clean up the vent frames, order about $200 of misc. parts to put the doors back together (drivers side lock and install kit, one vent pivot spring kit, some dyna-mat). Instead I had some heart palpitations, spent $600 for the ER to tell me everything is ok and don't worry about the palpitations because its only PACs.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:45 PM
Big IV
Senior User
Still nuthin'

My wife gave birth to our first born daughter on St. Patty's day about three weeks ago. In the last days of her pregnancy we bought a new Volvo, tried to get ready for a kid in our house, failed to be ready for a baby, and did not work on the F100.

I still haven't pulled the engine to work on the rear freeze plug and check it over.

I have however now realized that I paid for a cheap paint job and received a cheap paint job. I'm not terribly surprised. A neighbor was trying to be kind and mowed around the truck that I'm not working on very fast. He bumped the back corner of the cab only slightly and punched a hole through the paint. The painter apparently did not put any form under the bond when repairing that section. Lovely. Now I have a truck that looks decent other than the small hole in the cab, doesn't run, don't have time to work on it, and needs attention. Oh well.

Life happens. I'll get it. I'm not finished with this project yet.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:16 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by Big IV
My wife gave birth to our first born daughter on St. Patty's day about three weeks ago. In the last days of her pregnancy we bought a new Volvo, tried to get ready for a kid in our house, failed to be ready for a baby, and did not work on the F100.

I still haven't pulled the engine to work on the rear freeze plug and check it over.

I have however now realized that I paid for a cheap paint job and received a cheap paint job. I'm not terribly surprised. A neighbor was trying to be kind and mowed around the truck that I'm not working on very fast. He bumped the back corner of the cab only slightly and punched a hole through the paint. The painter apparently did not put any form under the bond when repairing that section. Lovely. Now I have a truck that looks decent other than the small hole in the cab, doesn't run, don't have time to work on it, and needs attention. Oh well.

Life happens. I'll get it. I'm not finished with this project yet.
Congrates on the Irish daughter and good luck with your truck.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:29 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Please tell me the painter wasn't supposed to do rust repair as well as the prep and paint job in trade for an 85 hearse??? And all was supposed to be done in two weeks???? And he repaired the rust by putting bondo over nothing?????? You said you had to tow the hearse to his shop, wasn't it running/drivable???????

Starting to sound like you both got what you paid for... not much. Sorry! (Well, at least your parents got the hearse out of their yard.)

Congrats on the daughter!

Old 01-07-2013, 05:31 AM
Big IV
Senior User
Finally pulled the engine. Sure, I've been planning and talking about it for over a year, but my wife was laid off, then she was back at work, then she quit her job all while we had a baby...so over this Christmas break we finally took off the hood and pulled the engine and transmission. It went very smoothly. Everything came apart as it should.

My favorite auto parts store is slowly getting in my wish list of parts. They were two freeze plugs short of what I needed so I am currently on hold waiting for freeze plugs. I really can't do much except wait. I don't want to shop anywhere else because this store has taken the time to help me look up and cross reference the old stuff and I don't want to go across the street to a store that doesn't know Ford was making trucks in 1960.

I can't complain about waiting a week now since I've been working on this truck for a while now.

Oh well. I'm finally making slow progress again but it is progress. I'm still donin' what I can when I can.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:37 PM
dmack91
Elder User
Sometimes life gets in the way of our best laid plans. That is the nice thing about a project - it doesn't have to be done anytime soon (generally).

Quick Reply: Doin' what we can when we can