1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Doin' what we can when we can

Old 04-06-2011, 09:03 AM
Big IV
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doin' what we can when we can

I have a fairly odd work schedule, I work hard, but I have very little spare cash. So to get my truck painted I'm trading my '85 hearse (needs work) to a painter. I'm just trying to fit it in between our schedules. This morning, before work, I loaded my truck up on the tow dolly. It will go to the painter tomorrow.

It doesn't run as dependably as I would like, but this is when it fits into the painters schedule and mine, so off it is going.

I still need to tune it up, when it gets back.

I need to finalize the plan for the interior.

But tomorrow she starts her trip to looking the way we want. Another piece of the puzzle fittin' in when we can.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:21 AM
kjdungan
Senior User
True love

A sure sign of true love. One piece at a time. Keep it up, you are farther along than I am. I am a little envious.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:25 AM
kenjh
Posting Guru
great when you can get help and do a trade to get ahead..Uuummm pictures..gives the rest of us incentive..what are you working on?

Old 04-06-2011, 09:49 AM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76f350spercamprspeal

Welcome to FTE, Best Damn Forum EVER!
------------------------
Here's How to Post Pictures:
1. Login to FTE.
2.Click User CP (In the Top Left Hand Corner)
3.(On the Left, There will be a list, The 5th Option Down, will say "Pictures & Albums) Click That.
4.Then, Click Add Album, Enter a title, and description, if ya want to.
5. Click Upload Pictures, Then click Browse, Locate the Files of your truck. (You can add 3 files at a time)
5. Click Upload.
6. Add a description to the individual pictures, then click save.
7. Add more files if ya want.
8. Click The Picture you want to post, it will give you two codes at the bottom, Right Click The Second one (It say's BB Code, Then Say's [IMG]http:blahblahblah...[/IMG])
Then, Once that is highlighted, Right Click, Then Copy, Then Paste it into your post.
You can add up to 30 Images in one FTE Post.
If, Ya need any help, Don't hesitate to ask.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:01 AM
Big IV
Senior User
1960 F100 with '56 style bed and lowered rear

At this point the truck still looks like it does in my photo album. No real changes until it is painted. Flat green color with black trim is the goal. I need to paint the bumper. It's prepped and ready. I just need a pretty day and a little time in the sun.

The bumper and headlights are out at the moment. The wheels have been changed to 70s 150 wheels which are white, but I'll later have painted black. Otherwise the truck still looks like this (at the moment).

Old 04-07-2011, 08:01 AM
kenjh
Posting Guru
look's great !! body wise..how fancy are you gonna go on the interior ??is the drive line stock or??just trying to get my butt in gear with mine and seeing how others are doing get's me in gear ..so thank's for posting ...great to see a newer truck res-erected..lol

Old 04-07-2011, 09:35 AM
Big IV
Senior User
I only know what I know.

Drive line is before my time. When I picked up this truck it was mid progress. The length had been shortened and the axle flipped, so I don't know what drive line was used.

The interior will be bucket seats, brush on bed liner to cover the floor and back wall, and something for the headliner but we're not sure what. The stock cardboard headliner is currently in so I have a few options. After the truck is running (which is now after paint) I'll worry about the interior.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:47 AM
Big IV
Senior User
Painter Emailed

The painter emailed with a few questions. He has already begun prepping the truck. That was fast. Hopefully that will bode well. He's starting quick and he's checking with me. That could be a good sign.

I don't know the painter. When I dropped the truck off I didn't get to see enough of his work to decide how good he is. Sounds like he typically does an insurance job or two a month to keep a float at his home shop. He did not have a great air compressor, and it was not plumbed the way I would have liked. The paint job will either be excellent or crap without anything in between. Only time will tell.

I'll post pics when it gets back.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:39 AM
kenjh
Posting Guru
I have been amazed with the work some backyard operations ,some of the guy's are wierd to talk to strange habits ,,but they do outstanding work...I think you call them genius..a fine line between insanity..(our love of old trucks) and genius..the guy's we pay to fix what we can't...

Old 05-05-2011, 05:24 AM
Big IV
Senior User
Two Weeks

When I was a kid one of my parents favorite movies was Tom Hanks's Money Pit about a couple trying to restore an old home. Every time they ask about when the house will be done the contractors say, "two weeks." My parents would laugh at that time after time when we rented it from the video store because every they remodeled anything my parents heard "two weeks" over and over again.

I have since watched the original movie Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream Home that Money Pit was based on. I have also watched the Are We Done Yet? which seems to be the third remake. I understand that concept of "two weeks" not meaning two weeks.

So, when my painter emailed and said, "truck is coming along great, it'll be two weeks," I knew it would probably take longer. Today is two weeks from when I dropped it off, only a week since the infamous "two weeks." So, I suppose I need to remain patient.

It's odd. This truck sat nearly untouched for a year in the drive way, but after I cranked it, took it for a short maiden voyage, and have now passed it off to the painter I am anxious to get the truck back and get finished. Honestly, even if it rolled in today I wouldn't be able to work on it again until two weeks from now when my schedule clears up but I want the option. I want to be able to go sit in it and dream a bit before heading off to work. I want to be able to run my hands down the fenders on my way in at night. I want to be able to sneak away from something responsible and do a little work. Heck, I just want to see it!

But, it'll be "two weeks."

Old 05-21-2011, 10:21 PM
Big IV
Senior User
Visited with my painter this week

I had a little time, so I hopped on the motorcycle and rode over to the shade trees painter's place to see how my truck was doing. It was still there like I had left it. I'm still next. I visited for a while while he told me about the hail damage and cars that had to be done before mine. Cash first. I understand that. I'm still next.
When I left Thursday he was going to shoot one more hood and then pull mine in.
Although he did have to get ready for an auction today. I swung by the auction and checked it out.
Two weeks and I'm still next.

Old 05-21-2011, 10:25 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well good deal. In two weeks you will be next.

Old 05-21-2011, 11:20 PM
tardster
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nothing wrong with doing what you can when you can. Really all it means is that you will have to be carefull when your working on it, other than that it was going to get painted anyway right...

Old 05-21-2011, 11:49 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Congrats on your new upcoming paint job. That should put you way ahead of the game. Its sad you have to give up your Hearse though. But we do gotta to do what we gotta do. Good luck, i hope it comes back beautiful.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:40 PM
Big IV
Senior User
I'm losing track of time

I'm too cheap to use a painter that I can rush along. So, I'm still waiting. My painter took the initiative to email me and let me know he was going to start painting today. I'm not completely sure he'll actually start it today, but I'm still next.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Doin' what we can when we can