Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electric cutouts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 08:47 PM
DIYiT
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Electric cutouts?

Does anybody have any suggestions for one brand or another of electric cutouts? I would like the Noweeds, but they are way too expensive, so I'm looking for suggestions on other brands.

I see that Summit & Jegs have their own brands, and I also see QTP come up a lot. Anybody have any experience with one over the other?

Old 04-04-2011, 09:40 PM
ExtrmZ
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
they dont seem like its worth the money, just lift the truck so you can crawl underneath easily and unbolt cutouts

Old 04-04-2011, 11:36 PM
Slowroll90
Mountain Pass
it might be nice to be able to switch from loud to quiet quickly and without having to get out

Old 04-05-2011, 07:15 AM
octaneforce
Laughing Gas
some of these trucks dont even need to be lifted to be able to crawl under. although an electric cutout would be sick as hell.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:54 AM
DIYiT
Posting Guru
I'm pretty well set on getting a set of electric cutouts. I'm running a straight pipe exhaust with not cats or mufflers and I like it this way, but I need to put a muffler or something in so that I can drive it places other than my rural farming communities where I'm not getting in trouble.

This is what I'm planning on doing, so it won't be just dumping under my truck.

I've thought about this for over a year, and I have decided that this is the route I want to go, so it's now just a matter of actually getting the cutout and getting the exhaust system fabbed up.

I'm not looking to do this for any performance reasons; it's purely so that I can keep the straight pipe sound that I love, but still have an exhaust that is not going to get me in trouble with the police (or anybody living in town when I drive through late at night).

Old 04-05-2011, 11:08 AM
Slowroll90
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by DIYiT
I'm pretty well set on getting a set of electric cutouts. I'm running a straight pipe exhaust with not cats or mufflers and I like it this way, but I need to put a muffler or something in so that I can drive it places other than my rural farming communities where I'm not getting in trouble.

This is what I'm planning on doing, so it won't be just dumping under my truck.

I've thought about this for over a year, and I have decided that this is the route I want to go, so it's now just a matter of actually getting the cutout and getting the exhaust system fabbed up.

I'm not looking to do this for any performance reasons; it's purely so that I can keep the straight pipe sound that I love, but still have an exhaust that is not going to get me in trouble with the police (or anybody living in town when I drive through late at night).

well, i like your idea ive always kinda wanted to do this on my car actually, well similar, like stock silent muffler or dump right in front of the muffler,
anyway i think its a cool idea
what muffler you thinking about running?

Old 04-05-2011, 11:29 AM
octaneforce
Laughing Gas
Old 04-05-2011, 12:17 PM
DIYiT
Posting Guru
I believe it's going to be a magnaflow. I'm not sure which model it is, but the guy told me it would be one of the quietest free flowing mufflers available. I'm open to other suggestions there as well.

I've been thinking I'd end up with the QTP if nobody has any personal experience with other brands since I've been able to find reviews of the QTP products.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:36 PM
thechief66
Laughing Gas
Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
I'd LOVE to be able to pull up next to some ricer with a soup can tailpipe, flip a switch, and rev it up to 4000 RPM then flip it back closed before the cops come

Old 04-05-2011, 01:07 PM
kentuckyredneck
Senior User
^^
I love that idea.

I got a buddy with electric cut-outs on his chevelle. I'll ask him what kind if I get a chance.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:31 PM
Slowroll90
Mountain Pass
I believe it's going to be a magnaflow. I'm not sure which model it is, but the guy told me it would be one of the quietest free flowing mufflers available. I'm open to other suggestions there as well.

I've been thinking I'd end up with the QTP if nobody has any personal experience with other brands since I've been able to find reviews of the QTP products.

thats what i was going to recommend
i run a flowmaster delta 50 fairly quiet but not thee best flow out there

Old 04-06-2011, 10:58 PM
DIYiT
Posting Guru
Well, I've got a 5"x11"x28" Magnaflow muffler and the QTP exhaust cutout on order and an appointment for next week at the exhaust shop. Hopefully I can beg, borrow, or steal a camera (something other than a cell phone), to take a video of the exhaust and how it sounds and post it up late next week or early the following week.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:45 PM
Slowroll90
Mountain Pass
sounds good!

Old 07-21-2016, 10:14 PM
Sam,D
New User
Well, I've got a 5"x11"x28" Magnaflow muffler and the QTP exhaust cutout on order and an appointment for next week at the exhaust shop. Hopefully I can beg, borrow, or steal a camera (something other than a cell phone), to take a video of the exhaust and how it sounds and post it up late next week or early the following week.

Did anything ever come from this?

Old 07-24-2016, 09:53 AM
DIYiT
Posting Guru
I actually did get the system setup the way I wanted. I have a video on Youtube, but it doesn't correctly convey the difference in volume between the two modes:

Quick Reply: Electric cutouts?