1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

285 dollar mistake

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 01:22 PM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
It really didn't help all that much in my opinion. Plus his canister was a big round plastic ball that looked like something off a spaceship or something. Somebody else may have had better success with theirs. But ours was just not worth installing.
Did he use a check valve in the supply line coming from the engine? If not, that would be why. Without a check valve, it will act like the vacuum reservoir is basically not even there.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:39 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueOvalRage
Did he use a check valve in the supply line coming from the engine? If not, that would be why. Without a check valve, it will act like the vacuum reservoir is basically not even there.
Well........I kind of asked that question and he said he thought it was built in or something. So I imagine we didn't have a check valve. To be perfectly honest with you, I hated the thoughts of us bolting that ugly thing to the firewall of a very nice, original 50 shoebox. But he was determined to try this gizmo he got at the local parts house. So I was just doing what he wanted and silently hoping to myself that it wouldn't make a big difference. The wipers are slow, and all it needs is a good re-conditioning of the motor and lines. But sometimes there's no arguing with my old man.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:52 PM
hellfirejim
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I decided to look into this a little further. I found this vacuum canister. It is 5 x 7 and does have a check valve and is only $35.

JEGS Performance Products 63010 JEGS Vacuum Reserve Canister

So what do you think about this???

jim

PS: I felt the need to add this. My F2 has a single vacuum wiper that works great just as it is except for the obvious slow down. Personally I would like to keep it and if adding a vacuum canister would do it, I would be all for it. BTW: Either way I will probably keep it anyway regardless of what the tests show.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:15 PM
hellfirejim
Elder User
I went and talked with my friend up the street who is an old school mechanic and asked him what he thought. he said a small canister might help for few swipes back and forth but to really help it would probably have to be bigger with more capacity.

The thought process is the vacuum cannisters on cars are to supply vacuum to a closed system such as brakes or for heater controls, etc. A wiper would be a continous draw and not a close system. He suggested the simplest way to do it would be to get a diesel vacuum pump and mount that.

Of course this discussion was brought about by the problems with after market conversions. I think that I am just going to keep my vacuum unit which works very well and rainex the windshield so between them both I think I will do well as I plan to drive mine rain or shine. Maybe one day i will try the cannister bit but too many other things I "need" now.

jim

Old 04-05-2011, 07:55 PM
juni88126
Senior User
How about using a vacuum pump setup from a early 7.3 or a 6.9 diesel engine.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:10 PM
52 5 star
Senior User
I had to buy a rebuilt vac pump for my 97 f250 powerstroke and it as $100.00 with turn in

Old 04-05-2011, 11:09 PM
tjdad62
Senior User
Originally Posted by jon6foot4
I've heard a few complaints about kits... so I adapted Jeep CJ wipers and a Jeep XJ motor. It was a pretty easy job, inexpensive, and I know they're tough... my buddy wheels his Jeep all the time and is using his wipers on mud and snow regularly with no issues
Jon,
Do you happen to remember what years you used for those two Jeep parts and what mods had to be accomplished? I would be interested in adapting them to fit my application (50 F3). I have a 2006 Rubicon so I can vouch for the durability of Jeeps wiper systems. Thanks in advance...

Old 04-06-2011, 07:12 AM
petey shoes
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it almost seems that we should start a new thread specific to modified wiper systems. get input from all angles. might find that one set-up that truly does the job. we are looking for--durability, reliability, consistent action, ability to handle all seasons, and all this with as little modifications as possible. appears that lots of folks are searching for a solution. how about some input on this.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:18 AM
perks56
Junior User
Wipers kit at Mid-Fifty

Hello all,

I am new to the forum and have been following this thread and many others every morning while having my coffee to start my day. I don't know if this kit will help any of you out there and I have only tested it in my shop while setting up and not on the road in weather yet but it seems to work great so far and is very versatile for set up.

It comes from Mid-Fifty, a Specialty Wiper Kit on Page 67 of their catalog at $369.00 for the whole kit. everything but blades. It is mounted with motor inside cab under dash, with the wiper transmissions mountable above or below the windshield. They can sweep to the right, to the left, to the middle or the outside and park and the sweep can be set from 90 to 160 degrees in 10 degree incements. Plus the switch has intermittent settings (I know this is not stock but for some of those spotty rain days it sure is nice).

I went with this kit becasue I started from scratch with my truck no hardware at all and I am trying to keep my firewall clean, It is more of a daily driver Hotrod 56 F-100 pickup all stock body but with a 300 plus HP 302 and AOD automatic, Vintage air, power steering, front disc brakes and forward tilt hood. Will have pictrues posted soon when I figure out how.

Just starting the final assembly this month, everything in shop and all painted ready to go just have to do it hopefully in next 2 months it will see daylight.

Kevin,

Old 04-06-2011, 09:29 AM
hellfirejim
Elder User
Though I am sure that kit is a nice one, I have a problem with the $369. Most likely to some it is worth it and more power to them but as for me this is just not possible.

The Jeep mod seems possible a solution. I don't mind substituing labor and time for $$$$.

jim

Old 04-07-2011, 07:43 AM
petey shoes
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
kevin, thanks for the input. will look into this. keep us up to date on progress. jim, you are right about cost versus labor. seems most "kits" are around 350$. for trucks being used mostly on nice days, the demand is not great. for those of us that truly use truck on daily basis, rain, snow, (i do), we need a system that holds up to this task. i am very much open to ideas, and can fabricate as long as i do not alter external truck. eager to see your ideas and all others that work.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:22 AM
hellfirejim
Elder User
I am really interested in the Jeep deal if we can get information on it especially with pictures to see what needs to be done. I have found out that a lot of times modified factory is better than aftermarket.

Until I can find a doable solution i will keep my vacuum wiper.

jim

Old 04-08-2011, 06:45 PM
jbrittonjr
Junior User
Originally Posted by arrowheadfred
If you turn your wipers on and they go down to far and hang up on the weatherstriping STOP the truck and unhang it. Cause i just cut the switch off and 15 min. later the motor was so hot it was smoking. It didn't turn off cause it hadn't finished its cycle. On the electic wiper kits they sell you can't buy just the motor you have to get the whole kit. LIVE & LEARN
I'm wondering why the fuse or fusible link didn't open due to the excessive current draw when the motor stalled?

Old 04-08-2011, 07:43 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
don't know what i did with it now , but i acquired a jeep cherokee wiper motor per the stickies at the top telling you what does and doesnt fit , and outside of having to open the holes on my mounting plate it was a dain near direct fit when i mocked it up . and i'm curious about the vacuum canister idea myself as the customline has vacuum wipers ................................ the cherokee / grand cherokee's in question are the square bodied ones from the mid 80's to what the mid to late 90's ................. got a new one from oreilly's for i believe $84 and tax ..............Name:  40431-fro.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  23.2 KB

Old 04-08-2011, 08:01 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Isn't this a situation for a fuse or a fuseable link?

Quick Reply: 285 dollar mistake