1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Interior color question...

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 08:52 PM
fiftyfordfloored
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interior color question...

Anybody know what color my interior is?

Sounds like a dumb question, but my original door tags were tossed with the doors before I got the truck, and I'm not sure where else to look. I understand there are like thirteen different tan colors in there... The main dash color is original.

I would like to order some SEM paint, but order the right stuff... The 1980 brochure I have lists Caramel or Sand... Caramel I would guess to be the darker, more brown variant, but I'm not sure. If there is no reproduction color for mine, I'd like to try and get something close to this:

If any of you guys have done re-paints in tan using SEM (or any other good quality interior paint), feel free to post a picture and let me know what the color was called.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:47 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Actually, the tag is the Certification Label, it's on the door jamb and not the door itself:

Also, what year is it?

Last edited by ctubutis; 04-03-2011 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Add question.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:03 PM
81-F-150-Explorer
Post Fiend
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
The Interior color code should be listed in the Body code on the safety certification lable on the drivers cab "B" pillar, just below the door striker bolt. If it wasn't painted over.

That interior color according to my monitor looks gray.

Caramel, Light Chamois, and sand are all brown type colors. The bottom picture is caramel according to my monitor.

Assuming this color is for your 1980...

That type Gray "Charcoal" wasn't avaliable untill 1984, so the interior could have been swapped for a 1984 or was painted gray to match the door panels. The radio is out of a 1983-1984 year vehicle, and carpet was not avaliable on the CUSTOM as standard, as well. This suggests that at least part of the interior has been swapped along with the doors.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:04 PM
fiftyfordfloored
More Turbo
Originally Posted by ctubutis
Actually, the tag is the Certification Label, it's on the door jamb and not the door itself:

Ahhhh. Thanks for the correction... My label is just gone. Probably got torn off when it was repainted.

It's a 1980.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:11 PM
fiftyfordfloored
More Turbo
Originally Posted by 81-F-150-Explorer
The Interior color code should be listed in the Body code on the safety certification lable on the drivers cab "B" pillar, just below the door striker bolt. If it wasn't painted over.

That interior color according to my monitor looks gray.

Caramel, Light Chamois, and sand are all brown type colors. The bottom picture is caramel according to my monitor.

Assuming this color is for your 1980...

That type Gray "Charcoal" wasn't avaliable untill 1984, so the interior could have been swapped for a 1984 or was painted gray to match the door panels. The radio is out of a 1983-1984 year vehicle, and carpet was not avaliable on the CUSTOM as standard, as well, so this suggests that at least part of the interior has been swapped along with the doors.
Carpet was installed buy the PO, and it does look kind of grey, but it's really faded tan. Here are a few more shots:

Old 04-03-2011, 10:20 PM
81-F-150-Explorer
Post Fiend
That's still looks gray to me. a 1984+ color.

Here is a picture of a 1999 F-800 that is the same color interior to my eyes and monitor.

EDIT: And looking at your radio bezel. Your truck originally had Factory Radio Delete. That CUSTOM Bezel has been cut for a radio. Pretty Good Job as well.

EDIT X2: The Colors avaliable for 1980 were as I said. Caramel, (which looks like the bottom picture in post #1), Light Chamois (Looks like a real light tan leather, same as a chamois you use to buff wax with. ) and Sand.

1981 Had Caramel, and Nutmeg as their brown colors. Sand was dropped for 1981.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:21 PM
fiftyfordfloored
More Turbo
That's still looks gray to me. a 1984+ color.

Here is a picture of a 1999 F-800 that is the same color interior to my eyes and monitor.

EDIT: And looking at your radio bezel. Your truck originally had Factory Radio Delete. That CUSTOM Bezel has been cut for a radio. Pretty Good Job as well.
Wow, no that is way more grey then my interior, haha. My truck is closer to medium prairie tan, more like:

Thats exactly what happened too... The radio was a junkyard unit installed into a non-radio Custom bezel. Carpet was aftermarket, and I doubt the PO was ambitious enough to swap the entire interior from one truck into another...

Old 04-03-2011, 11:39 PM
81-F-150-Explorer
Post Fiend
Ok, That looks like Light Chamois. That's the color I'd Choose.

It's very hard to judge color on a monitor. It depends on how the monitor is set up to begin with.

As I said in the EDIT X2 in my previous post, Light Chamois is like the color of a Chamois ("Shammy") that you'd use to buff your truck with.

Old 04-04-2011, 12:18 AM
fiftyfordfloored
More Turbo
I appreciate the help 81-F-150-Explorer... This has more of a pink tone then a yellow tone.

I'd like to get a picture of both Light Chamois and Sand together... I haven't found a reference to Light Chamois in any literature so far ether for 1980; just black, blue, red, caramel, sand and pine.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:08 PM
81-F-150-Explorer
Post Fiend
It's definately not caramel. That is very yellowish. Like the candy. We can definately rule this color out on your truck.

Light Chamois is indeed a light yellowish brown tone. You could also call it a egg cream with a yolk mixed in, if you were desperate. It could possibly have faded to what you have now.

Sand is the color of "sand". Sort of a darker tinted off white or eggshell in apearance with a slight hint of grayish color to it.

According to my books, Light Chamois was offered in 1980 and 1981.

According to my books, Sand was offered 1980 only.

This is the 2/84 revision.

It's one of these two colors. If it doesn't look like a light colored chamois "Shammy" cloth, then it has to be sand.

Without the color code it's just educated guesswork, trying to colormatch with a computer monitor, etc... but I'm glad you understand the difficulties.

Here is a light chamois interior truck from the 1981 brochure... It's the Supercab.
http://www.lov2xlr8.no/brochures/ford/81fp/bilder/6.jpg

Old 04-04-2011, 02:27 PM
fiftyfordfloored
More Turbo
It's definately not caramel. That is very yellowish. Like the candy. We can definately rule this color out.

Light Chamois is indeed a light yellowish brown tone. You could also call it a egg cream with a yolk mixed in, if you were desperate. It could possibly have faded to what you have now.

Sand is the color of "sand". Sort of a darker tinted off white or eggshell in apearance with a slight hint of grayish color to it.

According to my books, Light Chamois was offered in 1980 and 1981.

According to my books, Sand was offered 1980 only.

This is the 2/84 revision.

It's one of these two colors. If it doesn't look like a light colored chamois "Shammy" cloth, then it has to be sand.

Without the color code it's just educated guesswork, trying to colormatch with a computer monitor, etc... but I'm glad you understand the difficulties.

Here is a light chamois interior truck from the 1981 brochure... It's the Supercab.
http://www.lov2xlr8.no/brochures/ford/81fp/bilder/6.jpg
Mmmmm, SuperCab shortbed... *drool*

Yea, it's tough to match on screen, but after looking at that '81, it really does look like that light chamois. There are so many different tones in my truck, I'm practically going on the overall "feel" of what the color was.

Do you have a listing in your resources what the color code or the Ford paint code would be for Light Chamois? The next step is to try and track the matching paint down.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:59 PM
ebodell
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FiftyFordFloored,
I am actually in the process of painting my interior as well. Right now the truck is basically gutted. I am using SEM "camel" and it seems to be a good match for my '85 F150 Lariat. It is probably not perfect (but neither is my truck). If I can get home from work at a decent hour this week I will post some shots of what I have painted thus far. From what I have read if you can find the right dealer you can get custom colors mixed up. I picked Camel since it was available from Eastwood and I had free shipping.
From the pictures you have it appears as if your truck is much, much nicer than mine and you may be going for the original look. I was/am happy just to get close and be able to touch the interior plastic without have it get all over me (it was really UV damaged).
Good luck, the SEM product is really great to work with.

Last edited by ebodell; 04-04-2011 at 10:01 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-04-2011, 10:19 PM
fiftyfordfloored
More Turbo
Originally Posted by ebodell
FiftyFordFloored,
I am actually in the process of painting my interior as well. Right now the truck is basically gutted. I am using SEM "camel" and it seems to be a good match for my '85 F150 Lariat. It is probably not perfect (but neither is my truck). If I can get home from work at a decent hour this week I will post some shots of what I have painted thus far. From what I have read if you can find the right dealer you can get custom colors mixed up. I picked Camel since it was available from Eastwood and I had free shipping.
From the pictures you have it appears as if your truck is much, much nicer than mine and you may be going for the original look. I was/am happy just to get close and be able to touch the interior plastic without have it get all over me (it was really UV damaged).
Good luck, the SEM product is really great to work with.
I'm sure it's gonna look great man. I'm trying to get it as close to factory as I can. I'm in the process of swapping it over to a Lariat interior and it's time to take everything out and paint. I took a few more shots today to get a better idea of the color mine was... I just put my new bezel in too:

Old 04-05-2011, 08:45 AM
LARIAT 85
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Those gauges and bezels look GREAT, fiftyfordfloored! I see you have a fog light bezel. Are you running fog lights on your truck? What did you use to repaint the gauge needles?

Old 04-05-2011, 10:58 AM
fiftyfordfloored
More Turbo
Originally Posted by LARIAT 85
Those gauges and bezels look GREAT, fiftyfordfloored! I see you have a fog light bezel. Are you running fog lights on your truck? What did you use to repaint the gauge needles?
I do plan on running fogs. I scored a NOS switch last week from Green Sales so I can keep the factory original look in the truck. I used two coats Duplicolor DE1622 Chrysler Orange (not Hemi Orange) and GM 153 Classic White to retouch the lettering. The GM white was an awesome match to the original.

Quick Reply: Interior color question...