Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Maint Weekend in Mt

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 11:36 PM
onelionhunter
Laughing Gas

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Maint Weekend in Mt

So, it's been an entertaining weekend thus far in MT. Whil not all 7.3 Sd's, we had 5 trucks in the driveway and garage yesterday.

An OT truck to start it, 2005 chebby with the 5.3, was over heating randomly a few weeks ago, told Byron to change his T-stat. He did that, but then it over heated within 10 minutes everytime after that. Due to his work schedule and mine, it's been parked. He tried to make it the ten miles to here, makes 4, and its over heating. Take off with the trusty DD with the failing tranny to tow him in, as the wife has my SD while her honda is being finished up at the body shop. Drag it in, do some net searches prying for a FTE like site, no luck, but some random things to look at. Pull radiator hose off water pump, no antifreeze, even though degass bottle is full. Hmm, Air locked, add some water to water pump after its cooled, pull hose off rad as well, and fill radiator that way, 7 quarts of water later, seems full. fire it, it sucks bottle dry, fill 2 more time, running cool after test run. Guess them chebbies need burped... Repeated process after a good flush to get right antifreze mix.

Late 99 super duty rolls in, dies. has been randomly shutting down and stuttering for 4 days. Check oil, 3k on it, looks awesome, clear, not black, down maybe a quart9this is the truck we have done turbo pedastal o rings, non servacible plug, fuel bowl rings, etc, about a month ago). Hmmm, sounds ICP or IPR related, lets pull the ICP and see how she acts. Short 3 mile test run, no problems. Lets let it be like this for a day, cold, hot, etc. He sees my Marinco block heater mod, so much for the one I had on the shelf for the Honda, its now on his truck. Put a set of rear shocks on it while we are at it. Then we empty the entire cab out and clean this thing, it looks like 2 guys have lived in it for a while(they have, on the road for work alot lately doing flooring). Then he sees the non-yellow headlights on my rig, says what? I have to go get kiddo from school, so pick him up a polishing kit on my way back. Shiny headlights now.

1993 ford with 351 pulls in next. Tear through tie rods and ball joints, have wife get him a polish kit for headlights on her way back from town with Honda from body shop. Find bad banging noise in front was loose jack in holder, snug up.

After a bunch of oil changes, fluid swaps, etc, doen for the day.

today, I take the kid and we go fishing in my SD, strange whoosh, whoosh, moan on way home. Get fuel, look at belt for possible tensioner failure etc at truck stop. Can't see anything. 20 miles later pulling into the house, its bad noise now. Pull right into shop, pop hood, and go figure(lucky) the belt is failing right on the 10 oclock position of the AC compresseror, plain as day. take belt off, check all idler/tensioner pulleys, all are perfect. New belt, life is good.

Kind of a wierd weekend, as none of this was really planned, but thus far, all is looking good. New ICp on its way from Clay for the late 99, and it should all be wrapped up. Although there is 1 more day left in the weekend to break something......

Old 04-03-2011, 06:51 AM
SGnAZ
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's some workload that was "created" for you.Maybe you can sit back and enjoy Sunday with a cold one.
BTW,what headlight polishing system did you use?
Any before/after pics?
Thanks.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:50 AM
onelionhunter
Laughing Gas

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
CCP

I used the CCP 5 minute kit on all of them, its only $10 at my local Napa, and seems to work just fine. Unfortunately I didn't take any before pics, the wife had our digi cam with her at a dog training session. Overall i am really happy with the kits, I had to do 1 on my DD toyota, as it had 1 new lens from a deer hit, and one old one. It brought that one back to the point I think i am the only one that knows. Same with my wifes Honda, one new lens from a deer hit, one old, same results(although it took more than half the package on this one, its a verlarge light)