6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

?? for Owners of DT Adjustable Hitches

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 11:44 AM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
?? for Owners of DT Adjustable Hitches

I am looking to replace my older hitches. I pull 4 different trailers (flat bed, box, horse and soon a new tagalong -- pending approval from the head honcho). I have been checking out the DT adjustable hitches.

Does anyone own one? And if so, could you answer some questions?

> I am used to "through hole" pins to hold the hitch to the receiver. The DT design looks like it uses "nubs". Anyone concern these little "nubs" might just break off?

> Due to the varying trailer heights, the adjustable hitch makes sense. That said, it looks like their Class V adjustable hitches are limited to 1500 tongue / 10,000 trailer. Am I reading this right?

I will add the new truck's height has made it a bit more challenging getting decent level rides with my existing trailers

Old 04-02-2011, 12:25 PM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->
Originally Posted by Marauder92V
I am looking to replace my older hitches. I pull 4 different trailers I have been checking out the DT adjustable hitches.

Does anyone own one? And if so, could you answer some questions?

> I am used to "through hole" pins to hold the hitch to the receiver. The DT design looks like it uses "nubs". Anyone concern these little "nubs" might just break off?
I have two, an older version that uses a pin to set the height (2” drawbar) and a newer version that uses the locking pins you mention and is a 2.5” drawbar.

The DT hitch uses what I would guess is an internal cam the expands the pins out into the receiver.
I like that feature and it means the hitch is always locked in, not just when I decide to use a locking pin.

The ball height adjustment also works on a similar principal using one pin.
Not sure which I prefer for the ball height (conventional pin or internal).

I have had no reservations about using the hitch with any of the trailers I have access too.
The ease of adjustment is why I have them.
Although I don’t use it for low tongue height trailers such as my motorcycle trailer. I use an 8” drop aluminum hitch for that. To get that low with the DT hitch I would not be able to get out of my driveway, because of the double ball setup.

That said, it looks like their Class V adjustable hitches are limited to 1500 tongue / 10,000 trailer. Am I reading this right?
The 2.5” DT is not really a 2.5” hitch and you should be aware of that. It is really just the older 2” version with different pins and a sleeve already attached. So just like using a standard 2” hitch in your 2.5 receiver doesn’t increase your capacity, using the 2.5 DT still gets you the same 2” rating.

I will add the new truck's height has made it a bit more challenging getting decent level rides with my existing trailers
My new DRW has the opposite problem. My current pintle hitch is not high enough and I need to get a new pintle drawbar.
My 2011 DRW’s hitch height is 3” lower then my buddies 2006 F-350

Attached Images  
Old 04-02-2011, 12:55 PM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Thanks for the detailed explanation Duane! I didn't catch that the adjustable was a 2" sleeved. Explains the weight differences over a Class V.

I was hoping to do away with all the different height hitches I have but it looks like I can probably move to two. One adjustable for the lighter trailers under 10k and once I decide upon a tagalong, a second fixed hitch.

I appreciate you taking the time to explain the DT hitches!

Old 04-02-2011, 01:51 PM
porthole
Cargo Master

I was hoping to do away with all the different height hitches I have but it looks like I can probably move to two. One adjustable for the lighter trailers under 10k and once I decide upon a tagalong, a second fixed hitch.
Yeah - that's what I thought.
A 8" drop aluminun for the bike trailer, The adjustable for the myriad of trailers I use occasional with my part time gig and a pintle for the really big boat trailers (16K)

And when I had my travel trailer I had a dedicated WD hitch for that.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:02 PM
Sgt93
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
They are far from being "nubs". Had a 6" adjustable on my Cummins and bought 2 (was trying to get them here in a hurry) of the 2.5" 6" adj drop for this 2011 CEL special I have. They are amazing hitches and handle the abuse. I sold my other one to Duane.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:39 PM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by Sgt93
They are far from being "nubs". Had a 6" adjustable on my Cummins and bought 2 (was trying to get them here in a hurry) of the 2.5" 6" adj drop for this 2011 CEL special I have. They are amazing hitches and handle the abuse. I sold my other one to Duane.
Thanks. Wasn't sure what to call the "nubs". Was curious if they held up since these are the attachment points.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:57 PM
Sgt93
Postmaster
It's a great hitch for sure. There was quite a wait on them when the 2.5" receiver came out.

Old 04-03-2011, 12:00 AM
PITS
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have one and hauled a 6x12 covered trailer today and man it was convienent. I have not hooked up with my 28' yet but I have complete confidence in this hitch. It is a work of art. I went with the 4 inch drop as I was worried the 6" would be too low with the double ball but see now that it would not have been a problem.

Old 04-03-2011, 01:15 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Don't know if the new version of the hitch has it but the previous "pin" version offered a single ball in 1 7/8".
Don't recall if the other sizes were offered in singles.

But, if you only use one size you could cut the unneeded size off.

I need both and use the full range of the adjustment, including flipping it.

Old 04-03-2011, 05:34 PM
Sgt93
Postmaster
I'm loving your rig Duane. Very sharp.

Old 04-03-2011, 08:34 PM
porthole
Cargo Master

Thanks Steve, I like it, but I do miss CC SB you have

Old 04-03-2011, 09:28 PM
Sgt93
Postmaster
I can imagine my rig is easier to park LOL.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:03 PM
cford716
Elder User
Originally Posted by P.I.T.S.
I have one and hauled a 6x12 covered trailer today and man it was convienent. I have not hooked up with my 28' yet but I have complete confidence in this hitch. It is a work of art. I went with the 4 inch drop as I was worried the 6" would be too low with the double ball but see now that it would not have been a problem.
I have also been looking at these, but are they not rated to 10,000 lbs.? That 28' trailer has to be more than that, or do they have a higher rated one?

Old 04-03-2011, 10:29 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Sgt93
I can imagine my rig is easier to park LOL.
That is the advantage and I don't tow anything heavy enough to need a DRW but I do really like those DRW trucks.
I just need bigger toys, I guess.

Had a 2011 Platinum white/adobe KR F-450 behind me headed home from work Friday.
I was trying to look at it in my rear view and watch traffic and those are sharp looking trucks.
That truck looks big in my rear view, can't imagine what it looks like in a Prius and my truck isn't much smaller in the front.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:07 PM
PITS
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cford716
I have also been looking at these, but are they not rated to 10,000 lbs.? That 28' trailer has to be more than that, or do they have a higher rated one?
It is a 28' car hauler rated at 9000# so the 10K DT works fine for now.

Quick Reply: ?? for Owners of DT Adjustable Hitches