April Chat / All Topic Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 04:04 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by zhilton

They found the Pavement Princess.
Zack, glad to hear they located your truck. Now if it still feels like your truck..... I know after someone else has had it for a while, it might not feel the same

Old 04-11-2011, 04:06 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Old_Crow
Off to Vince's this morning for another fun filled weekend with the Mercedes 380sl. At least it's a gas burner.

I always wanted one of those to do a diesel swap on

Old 04-11-2011, 09:27 PM
tojoski
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They found the Pavement Princess.
Wow, congratulations!

Hope they didn't muck it up too bad.. Will your insurance cover the damage?

Old 04-12-2011, 05:58 AM
Old_Crow
Laughing Gas
Jeff, there's enough plumbing on top of that motor to keep even a diesel guy happy. What started out as a simple replacement of valve seals has morphed into a nightmare. First thing I found when I pulled one of the valve covers was a piece of timing chain guide laying in the top of the head. Now, I've got the whole front cover off the motor(which required removing the radiator and all engine mounted accessories). The manual I've got to work from is on cdrom and it truely sucks. Half the time when I need it the computer won't open it. Can't wait to start putting the darned thing back together.

Old 04-12-2011, 05:59 AM
Old_Crow
Laughing Gas
Hey, anyone got a decent hood for a '61 F100? Had a hood latch fail at about 60mph.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:24 AM
jgoodman6891
Elder User
Hey, anyone got a decent hood for a '61 F100? Had a hood latch fail at about 60mph.

A friend showed me a yard just north of Lamar that was filled with late 50s, 60s & 70s model trucks along with other odd ball cars & what not. Nearly all Ford. I need to head back up there soon cause I found a set of rims I want to put on my '77 short bed.

Edit: I will let you know when I head back up there & see if you still need it.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:43 AM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Spent the weekend down at the Bay and when on the way home, pulled into the truck stop for fuel. I don't know how folks are gonna make it if fuel keeps going up, 20 cents in the last week, $4.09 a gallon I know it is making my trips seem a little out of reach.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:38 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd forgotten how long of a day it is when you make a round trip to KC & back from the fort. It's a 10 hour day no matter how you slice it.
Originally Posted by tojoski
Hope they didn't muck it up too bad.. Will your insurance cover the damage?
Went and picked it up today...I offically hate the city of Kansas City...both sides I forgot to take my camera, but the buddy that went with me took his. So I should have photos soon in my emailbox. Basically...both bumpers, one battery, the spare, empty alum. diamond plate toolbox, toneau cover, everything that was in the glove box & center console, the spare fuel filter kit, both front doors the locks were knocked out & the ING tumbler was shelled out of the column....and they cut the spare tire winch/holder. I dropped it off at the dealership after the body shop had closed. So it's going to be a day or two before I get a complete quote on the damages. The adjuster told me on the phone yesterday to not worry about the truck..."we'll fix it back to the way it looked the day before it disappeared". After looking it over at the impound yard...and cleaning out the worse of the mess...I was have some very Un-Christian thoughts if I ever find out who did this to my truck.
Originally Posted by mechmagcn
I don't know how folks are gonna make it if fuel keeps going up, 20 cents in the last week, $4.09 a gallon
As sad as it sounds...through the nose. We don't really have much choice do we? I have a solution to the entire problem...involves a little lead poisoning () and bio-diesel for those of us that run trucks w/o spark-plugs; sorry Bill & Wally...I haven't put forth effort/brainpower to solve the problem for those that burn gas. On paper, I think I have all the answers...but I just make trains go frontwards & backwards; so I'm sure I've missed all the political "requirements".

From "another thread" that derailed into a different tangent (big words for a kid from Arkansas)....
Granted I've only had experience with GM diesels, but that's been enough to sour me on the whole oil-burner lifestyle.
In my demented opinion....your comparing apples to lemons
Maybe I just need to retire.
I'll drink to the retirement part I'm already counting the years (26), I figure in about 10-15 years I'll switch over to months. We've got a guy at work that's counting weeks...he's going out in February.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:20 AM
1996pwrstrk
Cargo Master
I think all we have is 1 spare 65/66 hood thats dinged up pretty good .

Old 04-13-2011, 07:36 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Just found this pic on another forum, think it fits the times well.

Attached Images  
Old 04-14-2011, 11:17 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
Just found this pic on another forum, think it fits the times well.
Yip, just wait until the next time you fill your bulldog up for a trip.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:53 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Yip, just wait until the next time you fill your bulldog up for a trip.
That won't be happening anytime soon, I'm content to travel with my 53 and teardrop camper

Old 04-14-2011, 02:08 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Just got off the phone with the Ford dealership (learned a hard lesson last year), their estimator turned his quote in on the Pavement Princess; $9600 worth of parts & labor. I now know for a FACT that if I ever find out who did this to my truck....I'LL KILL 'EM
That won't be happening anytime soon, I'm content to travel with my 53 and teardrop camper
I know EXACTLY what your saying. We (the family) had plans for a road trip to see my mother's side of the family in Michigan; haven't been up there since '03. I had budgeted fuel as high as $3.75 for the trip....and that was when it was still $2.60-ish. To say those plans have changed is an understatement. I don't want this to come out the wrong way...but thankfully my sister decided to get married this summer. They're coming this way for the wedding. I'm sure I'll burn allot of diesel dragging the camper & scooter down to the Hot Springs area & back...but not near as much as a 2000 mile round-trip road trip.

Old 04-14-2011, 04:08 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Yeah, I've got several trips planned for this year, 2 that will be around 900 miles total and 3 that will be around 1400 miles total. Fuel is getting to be a major factor for deciding what to do other that go. I hope that things will be better next year this time, I have a major trip planned, I'm taking my 53 and teardrop to Alaska!

Old 04-15-2011, 01:33 PM
Old_Crow
Laughing Gas
sorry Bill & Wally...I haven't put forth effort/brainpower to solve the problem for those that burn gas.
That's just sad that in a forum dedicated to a whole state's worth of Ford trucks, there's just 2 of us with gas burners.

Oh well, other than the two shows up at War Eagle(one next month, one in the fall)the only trip we have planned involves a couple of Harley's and the Natchez Trace Parkway.
Maybe a weekend trailer trip up to Bull Shoals Lake again, that was a nice getaway.

Quick Reply: April Chat / All Topic Thread