1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Glow Plug Light (Newbie Diesel Humor)

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 09:30 AM
FordGod1
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
haha only been driving for about 3 months and i do the WTS as well as letting things cool down, sometimes with wisconsin weather ill go out to my winter beater and look for block heater and after about 20 minutes of waiting and late to school i realize that there isnt one. Good thread lol

Old 04-02-2011, 11:41 AM
fridgeddiesel
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ever been in a country where they drive on the wrong side of the road? You come into a situation hot and need a quick downshift and end up ripping all the flesh off the back of your right hand as you slam it into the "Drivers" door. I never did get used to a stick on the left side...

Old 04-02-2011, 03:09 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by fridgeddiesel
Ever been in a country where they drive on the wrong side of the road? You come into a situation hot and need a quick downshift and end up ripping all the flesh off the back of your right hand as you slam it into the "Drivers" door. I never did get used to a stick on the left side...
That's hilarious! In 73 I bought a 650 Triumph motorcycle in London, England. Driving on the left side was a real trip. My wife (girlfriend at the time) was screaming in my ear to stay on the left!!!

Old 01-06-2012, 02:37 AM
asemastermech
Senior User
Yes

Years ago we visited friends in northern Canada.
Temperature -40° F 30 mph wind + snow.

We piled into the car going to breakfast, and I cycled the key three times.
Wife reminded me it is her gasser.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:20 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by asemastermech
We piled into the car going to breakfast, and I cycled the key three times.
Tell her to remind you the next cold morning with the PSD as well. Cycling the key does NOTHING. The glow plugs stay on LONG after the WTS light goes off. Just leave the key in RUN for three times as long for the same glow plug run time.

We'd all be right at home in a '97 Saturn. They have a known problem where the fuel system loses its pressure overnight. First crank in the morning takes WAY longer. Solution? Turn the key to RUN and wait while the fuel pump runs for 3 seconds, then turn to START. Just enough time to buckle up. On the Saturn forum we jokingly tell n00bs with '97s to drive it like a diesel.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:10 AM
joe_13894
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fridgeddiesel
Riding a bus from hong kong to china was a real trip. They drive on the wrong side in HK, and when you cross the border they switch sides of the road. You're just hoping the bus driver always remembers where he is.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:11 AM
joe_13894
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Talyn
I drive a stickshift.

That has enough humor in itself.

All the times i've tried putting my foot though the firewall.
My wife was driving a stick most of the time and one time was moving the truck for me when we were doing fencing. I hopped in the back....

She didn't hit the floorboard, she caught the brake with her left foot. I ended up slammed into the back of the cab.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:49 AM
PowerstrokeRyan
Senior User
Took the girlfriends car to dinner the other night and i waited for the seatbelt light to go off in the corner of my eye.. freaked out cause it was flashing thought somthing was wrong.. then when i finally relized it and we got to the restaurant i waitex in the parking lot a minite or two to let the turbo cool down

Old 01-06-2012, 09:57 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts
These GP stories are to funny. My wife has a mental block about it. She will get in and turn the key immediately. Then she remembers, shuts the key off then back on, waits and starts it. Then there is a nice puff of white smoke when it starts. I just shake my head. I don't know how VW TDI's do it but glow plug light goes off almost immediately. Turbo cool down with her, forget it!

Old 01-06-2012, 11:02 AM
dizzyfingers03
Tuned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I put my left foot through the floor in the trucks at work (all autos) all the time. If I drive them for a couple of hours, every time I slow down to stop, my left leg feels really funny...like I'm missing something.

I also do the WTS with everything. My habit has always been to lean into the cab, turn key to on, and then climb in, buckle up, and start. It doesn't hurt the gassers, but some people look at me like I'm retarded.

These are some funny stories..we should keep them coming.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:40 AM
Awitte58
Postmaster
Talking

Its ironic this thread be revived at this time. A few weeks ago (during one of the only cold weeks we have had thus far...this weather is crazy here in Northern IL...50 today)
Anyway, I was ridin' with my friend in his 2006 6blow on our way to pick up his 2000 SD from getting a beefed up trans put into it and it had rained the day before and froze over night. Roads were slick. Well his 6.0 is an auto and his 7.3 is a manual... and he usually drives the 7.3.

Well we were coming up to a red-light a few hundred yards ahead and all of the sudden he SLAMS on the brake pedal and before ya know we went from sideways to facing the other way in the ditch half chit our paints and laughing our rears off because he was trying to downshift. I will never let him live it down...partially cuz I dont want him to do it again and it turnout worse!

Old 01-06-2012, 03:31 PM
Ford4Life7.3
Posting Guru

I can relate to ALL of these haha. I had to drive my dads toyota the other day. Its an auto with the selector in the middle console where the stick on a manual would be. I started out and made it to the stop sign, had my hand on the shifter and everything, and slammed my foot to the floor haha.

Someone elaborate on the letting it diel to cool down.....seems i missed that one?

Old 01-06-2012, 06:27 PM
joe_13894
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Ford4Life7.3
Someone elaborate on the letting it diel to cool down.....seems i missed that one?
The turbo bearing is cooled by engine oil. Turn the engine off and the oil flow stops. If you stop with a hot turbo it will burn the oil and the bearing will fail much sooner.

The really big no-no is to turn it off right after a full throttle pull up a hill. 2-3 times doing that and the turbo is done. Let it idle for a couple of minutes first.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:39 PM
BuckHammer
Cargo Master

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Hussler
Who seriously wears socks and sandals at the same time?

Old 01-06-2012, 06:45 PM
BuckHammer
Cargo Master

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Talyn
Yeah. left hand forward and reverse is a beotch when you switch back. I did that a lot when i was running john deere with power quad.
I like that shift pattern a lot more.

R 2 4
|-|-|
1 3 5

That way, you put your slow gears together (R and 1), your city driving gears together (2 and 3), and your road gears together (4 and 5). It's not a big deal to me, but I do prefer it that way.

Quick Reply: Glow Plug Light (Newbie Diesel Humor)