Sponsored by: DP Tuner

A Cold Start Video

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 08:11 AM
JonathanN
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A Cold Start Video

35* in this video... not bad for 305K. New GP's and the GPR is good. ICP and DC are perfect, everything else I haven't listed is good except the turbo developed a ridiculous amount of play almost overnight and is now rubbing on the housing... I'm not joking either, it just makes no sense! It's not rubbing enough to really slow it down because I still makes good boost and there's no black smoke or loss of power so I'm good to go for awhile. Anyways, it has a slightly irregular idle until it warms up but it goes away when the smoke does and that's when it warms up. It also seems to be related with how long it'd been sitting since I last fired it up... the longer it sits, the more it smokes. I've heard of this happening in a more extreme situation where an injector was bad and caused over-fueling until it warmed up. My mileage isn't too hot, but I'm chocking it up to cold weather, 10-15 minute warm-ups, mixed driving, and 200 miles of mountain driving with 2.5K in the bed every tank. What do y'all think? I'm gonna rebuild the turbo (makes me mad because I just JUST had it out and it was TIGHT!!!), but that's about it... it still runs like a scalded dog when it warms up and I have no money for sticks anyways. So yeah, take a watch and a good listen... it's gonna take some speakers or headphones with VERY good bass reproduction to hear it. Otherwise, just watch the smoke show! I've got a hunch the whole thing boils down to old sticks... BTW, this is my new starter I just put in! I also have the 15* pump and my LPOP might not supply the HPOP quite as fast as it used to... who knows. It starts and it runs so I'm not gonna go looking for problems! Thanks, guys!

YouTube - 7.3L Cold Start

Old 03-28-2011, 08:43 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I see the same thing with my truck, but less smoke at start up. It does it on 60-65* degree mornings also. Sometimes it idles smooth and others a little rough. Been scratching my head on this one too. We have different injectors and turbo, yet are doing similar things. Mine does seem to smoke less on warmer days, so temperature does factor in with what is going on with it. I usually get a small puff after it has idled at a traffic stop, or while closing a gate, then accelerating away.
Jon, figure this one out so we'll both know.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:50 AM
JonathanN
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by mueckster
I see the same thing with my truck, but less smoke at start up. It does it on 60-65* degree mornings also. Sometimes it idles smooth and others a little rough. Been scratching my head on this one too. We have different injectors and turbo, yet are doing similar things. Mine does seem to smoke less on warmer days, so temperature does factor in with what is going on with it. I usually get a small puff after it has idled at a traffic stop, or while closing a gate, then accelerating away.
Jon, figure this one out so we'll both know.
Might just be the nature of the beast? I don't know... I don't mind it, just kinda wondering if it's my injectors? Thing is, I still have fantastic rotational velocity numbers. I think the worst I see is 1.5-2% on #3 and #8... I wonder what would happen if we gave our trucks new LPOPs? I noticed with the faster starter, it wouldn't clatter near as much after I started it. Like, before it would clatter after it finally caught and then clear up after a second or two. Now, it's only on occasion... I'm just wondering if it's got something to do with initial oil supply?

Old 03-28-2011, 11:06 AM
PwerStroke99
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Mine does the same exact thing in the morning, and clears up when it warms up

Old 03-28-2011, 01:13 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Mine too........

EDIT: Here's mine starting in the teens:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDr_Zem6xHw

Old 03-28-2011, 02:16 PM
sledheadm7
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mine also smokes like that until it get warm like said above it the nature of the beast and i wouldnt be trying to find problems.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:58 PM
Skinsfan6
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jonathan I'm actually ~30,000 miles behind you on my 2000 Ex, and I live 30 minutes away from you in Mathews. Anyway, do you have the stock turbo? I was wondering the other day how much life I have left in mine. I was thinking about pulling it to check for shaft play. My drivetrain is 100% stock and I'm really easy on it btw.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:31 PM
JonathanN
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Skinsfan6
Jonathan I'm actually ~30,000 miles behind you on my 2000 Ex, and I live 30 minutes away from you in Mathews. Anyway, do you have the stock turbo? I was wondering the other day how much life I have left in mine. I was thinking about pulling it to check for shaft play. My drivetrain is 100% stock and I'm really easy on it btw.
Well, 1000 miles ago when I had the turbo out for some mods and O-rings, it was tight... no inward and outward play at all. As of a couple days ago, I developed a fair amount of play in was seems like overnight. I wouldn't worry about it. If the turbo is not leaking and you can't make the compressor wheel rub on the housing, leave it alone.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:57 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Jon,
How old are your injector o-rings? Perhaps the middle o-ring shrinks up a tiny bit when it's cold and seals up good once warm? I was going to ask if you've had your oil sampled recently but I doubt you would see anything since the oil pressure is much greater than fuel pressure. You might check our fuel filter next time you replace it and see if you see any signs of oil. (benefits of the regulated return...)

I agree with you though...
Doesn't really seem like a serious issue so no sense in trying to look for problems.

Old 03-28-2011, 04:07 PM
JonathanN
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by gchavez
Jon,
How old are your injector o-rings? Perhaps the middle o-ring shrinks up a tiny bit when it's cold and seals up good once warm? I was going to ask if you've had your oil sampled recently but I doubt you would see anything since the oil pressure is much greater than fuel pressure. You might check our fuel filter next time you replace it and see if you see any signs of oil. (benefits of the regulated return...)

I agree with you though...
Doesn't really seem like a serious issue so no sense in trying to look for problems.
I have NO idea, man... all I know is I make a good 2700PSI with less than 40% DC. I wouldn't doubt it, though... I mean seriously, 305K? Seems like one of them ought to be screwing around a little. Thing is, I have VERY limited funds, I'm sick of taking the top of my motor apart, and I don't really wanna fix something that really ain't broke. Looks like I'll be going back in there again for the danged turbo so if I have the funds, I might throw in some O-rings. Who knows? Clay's with me though... if it ain't really broke, than it don't really need fixin'. As for oil in the fuel, nope... not that I can tell. It comes out of the bowl a nice golden yellow (it has some DK in it)... I just had the fuel bowl apart to re O-ring it because the cost of shipping just the parker sleeves was a hair less than the whole kit so I figured I throw it in there. Filter was dirty, but I figure it's only because it's coming up on 15K... it wasn't quite black, but it was getting there. I'm seriously considering mounting my gauge for the regulator on my cowl so I can watch the pressure to determine when to change the filters. With my pre-pump filter I installed, it's gonna be expensive to replace those filters based on mileage. Is my filter not supposed to be dark?

Old 03-28-2011, 04:31 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by JonathanN
.... Is my filter not supposed to be dark?
Hard to say, I guess it depends on the quality of fuel in your area. My filter normally looks about the same as a new one. Slightly brown-ish but definitely not black. I change every 15K as well.

I hear you about not fixing stuff that isn't broke (yet). Thank goodness for the volume **** on my radio because sometimes when I hear a strange noise I just turn up the radio and the problem goes away.

305k is great. Here's to many many more miles to come.

Old 03-28-2011, 04:39 PM
JonathanN
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by gchavez
Hard to say, I guess it depends on the quality of fuel in your area. My filter normally looks about the same as a new one. Slightly brown-ish but definitely not black. I change every 15K as well.

I hear you about not fixing stuff that isn't broke (yet). Thank goodness for the volume **** on my radio because sometimes when I hear a strange noise I just turn up the radio and the problem goes away.

305k is great. Here's to many many more miles to come.
You got that right... I ain't complaining. I think I might have to do a little looking as far as filters go. With that pre-pump filter I have (see here), I wouldn't think enough trash could get through to the filter to stain it like that, especially considering how clean my fuel was that came out of my bowl. I think I'm gonna have to do some looking here... we'll see.