1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Battery behind seat In Cab what kind?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 10:41 AM
seanmconroy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battery behind seat In Cab what kind?

Hello, I am stunned I am going to be mounting a battery box behind the bench seat in my old 1950 f-1 when i re-located the gas tank to the rear i have lots of room behind their now. So the cables are all run i used 1ga copper and have a disconnect switch beside the boat/RV battery box I want to know what kind of cell can i use are the AGM cells good for my application like the red top optima's? Also i don't really want to vent i want a sealed unit any suggestions sure would help.

thanks sean m conroy
Grande Cache, Alberta
CANADA

Old 03-26-2011, 10:53 AM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by seanmconroy
Hello, I am stunned I am going to be mounting a battery box behind the bench seat in my old 1950 f-1 when i re-located the gas tank to the rear i have lots of room behind their now. So the cables are all run i used 1ga copper and have a disconnect switch beside the boat/RV battery box I want to know what kind of cell can i use are the AGM cells good for my application like the red top optima's? Also i don't really want to vent i want a sealed unit any suggestions sure would help.

thanks sean m conroy
Grande Cache, Alberta
CANADA
I really like my Optima (Red) and have owned many of them... Never had them inmy cabs, but have had friends that have had them in their cabs...

Old 03-26-2011, 10:54 AM
seanmconroy
Senior User
Just want to know are they safe to have inside the cab?

Old 03-26-2011, 11:50 AM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Your battery box needs to be vented to the outside... It has to be a sealed from the cab... I have been kicking this around too... What I was thinking about is using the Optima mounting bracket and making a custom cover that would incase the battery that would be painted the same color as the interior of the truck... sealing the battery from the cab, allowing me to drill a hole in the floor inside the box for venting the battery...

Old 03-26-2011, 12:07 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
The wife's car (Lincoln LS) has a battery in the trunk. It is a regular lead acid battery but it has a vent tube fitting on it which allows for venting outside the vehicle. Since the gel batteries (Optima, etc) are sealed units I am not certain if exterior venting is necessary.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:45 PM
Ziegelsteinfaust
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Optima claims they do not need to be sealed.

Race tracks may have a different opinion, but thats them.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:49 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
I am tagging along on this one because I have thought about the same thing. using a sealed battery.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:55 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by CharlieLed
Since the gel batteries (Optima, etc) are sealed units I am not certain if exterior venting is necessary.
What he said !!!

Old 03-26-2011, 12:57 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

This is from Optima Website;

If you are using an OPTIMA battery in a custom application, it is important to consider the following:
  1. Hood Clearance – There should be at least ¾” clearance between the top of the battery terminals and the underside of the hood.
  2. Trunk/Interior Mounting – If your battery is mounted inside the passenger compartment or trunk (common in many European makes), the battery must be vented to the outside of the vehicle. OPTIMA group 27, 51, 78, 34C, and 31 batteries all have ports for connecting a vent hose.
  3. Side Terminals – OPTIMA 34/78, D34/78, 75/25 and D75/25 batteries have both top and side terminals. If you are using one of these batteries in a vehicle that uses the top terminals, it is important to ensure that the side terminals can not come into contact with anything metallic (for example, the firewall or fender well), thereby causing a short. We suggest keeping the post protectors on the terminals you are not using. A winch should only be connected to the automotive posts.
  4. Battery Modifications – Cutting, drilling, trimming or otherwise modifying your OPTIMA battery may present a safety hazard and will void the warranty.
  5. Mounting – Your Optima battery must be securely mounted. The terminals are not intended to be used to secure the battery. Using the terminals in this way will damage the battery and void your warranty.
You want to also enclose a battery in a box to keep from putting something onto of the battery that either may short it out or not allow it to breath (get to hot).

Old 03-26-2011, 01:01 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
In reading the info on the Optima site they contend that under normal operating/charging conditions their battery will not gas. They go on to say that "abnormal" conditions are when the battery is being charged rapidly, ie with a voltage above 15 V, or during high temperature conditions. Personally I would feel much safer with a gel battery installed inside the cab than I would with a gasoline tank...and how many of us drove around for years blissfully ignorant of THAT timebomb behind the seat.

Old 03-26-2011, 02:46 PM
seanmconroy
Senior User
Sealed

Thanks for your imput How do i post photos on here for you guys to see my box ect. I want your guys opinion on the install. It wont let me copy and paste Help Please

Old 03-26-2011, 03:03 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
You should just have to hit the "Post Reply" button, enter your text and scroll down to the "Manage Attachments" button. Hit that and browse for your jpg files. Do an "upload" and you should be set.

Old 03-26-2011, 03:33 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

you need to upload the pics in an album in FTE or somewhere else on the web... Copy the URL address to be added to your post then hit the Insert Image (looks like a post card of a mountain) paste the URL there

On mine I don't have the Manage Attachments

Old 03-26-2011, 03:53 PM
dongc1
Elder User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
here is a picture from my user gallery. It is a Exide AGM. had it behind the seat for about 4 years now. No Fumes, No vent. I love it. Check out my user gallery for a couple more pics.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...186259.520.390

Old 03-26-2011, 05:29 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Moe Craig

On mine I don't have the Manage Attachments
Maybe that's one of the benefits of being a SUPPORTER...

Quick Reply: Battery behind seat In Cab what kind?