1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

wheel help

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 03:39 PM
pgh49ford
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wheel help

Hello,

Have a 49 ford F-3 which I have been trying to get done over the last couple of years. Getting pretty much down to the end of the restoration and am having difficulty with the wheels. I currently have 7-50x17 inch tires which are in dire need of replacement. I had come pretty close to choosing some replacement tires from Coker, but at the time the attempt was made to remove the old tires, before purchasing new tires, it was discovered that what I thought was a one piece rim is actually a two piece rim. These rims are not the widowmakers at all and appear to be one piece at glance, but once it was mounted on the tire removal machine, alas, from the back side it is apparent that these are two piece rims. Before proceeding, can anyone help me determine what kind of rims these might be and how I can proceed with the tire removal? The rims were on the truck when i bought it, so, i have no contact info to go back and check as to the specifics of this rim. They are marked with a number on the front side of the rim which begins
49- etc.... Would these be original rims common to the 3/4 ton trucks of 49? Where might I find a fifth one so that I can get a spare mounted? If I am going to have difficulty with these rims and their removal and reassembly, what would be my choices in a replacement rim in a 16 or 16 1/2 inch or 17" 8 lug rim that would be easier to find and easier to match up to a wider variety of tires? The center hole diameter of these current rims are 4 3/4". 8 lugs with 2 1/2" from center of one lug to another beside it, and 6 1/2" from center of one lug to the center of another lug on opposite side of rim. Also, can anyone direct me to an area where i might find a diagram of how to mount weatherstripping on my doors? Any help will be appreciated. Please visit my gallery for photos of my two fords.

Old 03-25-2011, 04:06 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 262 Likes on 216 Posts
Originally Posted by pgh49ford
.. before purchasing new tires, it was discovered that what I thought was a one piece rim is actually a two piece rim. These rims are not the widowmakers at all and appear to be one piece at glance, but once it was mounted on the tire removal machine, alas, from the back side it is apparent that these are two piece rims. Before proceeding, can anyone help me determine what kind of rims these might be and how I can proceed with the tire removal? The rims were on the truck when i bought it, so, i have no contact info to go back and check as to the specifics of this rim. They are marked with a number on the front side of the rim which begins 49- etc.... Would these be original rims common to the 3/4 ton trucks of 49?
First, welcome to the forum. Glad to have you, and glad you're saving an F-3.

Second, yes they are "widowmakers". Technical term is Firestone RH-5°. They are the original wheels supplied on all F-3 two wheel drive trucks. Below are a couple of old threads that will describe the design, show pictures of the wheels and a cross section diagram, and go into the risks associated with these wheels. The threads also go into your replacement options. After reading these threads please come back with any questions you have.

I'm aware of no old threads that give instructions on weatherstrip installation. Stu

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...questions.html
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...9-ford-f3.html

Old 03-25-2011, 07:18 PM
pgh49ford
New User
Wow! I just spent an hour trying to sort through all of the suggestions regarding the widowmakers and i am more confused than ever. Thought I was so close to having the f-3 done and now I feel like i am a million miles away because of these wheels. I am feeling pretty stupid that I cant sort out what way to go here that will bring the quickest result. It seems like the information goes in a bunch of different directions. Anyone kind enough to list out my options to deal with these wheels, in a way which will clear up my confusion, in order to help me finish this truck, will forever have my gratitude. Wow, am i ever confused.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:01 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Option #1 - First step would be to swap your rear end for a Dana 60 from a 1967 to 1972 F-250. That rear end has 12" rear brake drums, the parking brake at the drums, would provide a more roadworthy rear gear ratio, and would allow you to use any commonly available 16" wheels having your 8 lug x 6.5" bolt pattern. If you want to retain use of the stock hub caps, you'd want to find a set of stock F-2/F-250 wheels that have the hub cap nubs on the inner wheel face like are on your stock 17s. One of our members has a set of these wheels for sale. I could have him check in if you want.

Option #2 - The stock 16" F-2/F-250 wheels won't fit over your stock 14" rear drums. If keeping a near stock looking rear axle is important to you, you could swap your stock F-3 axle for a stock 1948 to 1951 F-2 rear axle (having the parking brake at the drums). The early F-2s had 12" drums where the F-3s have 14" drums. This then allows use of the stock 16" F-2/F-250 wheels as above.

Option #3 - Find a set of 17.5" tubeless wheels from a 1956 or later F-250. These were an option I believe through 1965. One of our members in the thread I linked went this route. These wheels will clear your stock 14" rear drums.

Option #4 - Custom wheels from Stockton Wheel, or similar custom shop. As described in the linked thread. Expensive.

Option #5 - Get lucky and find a set of ordinary 16" F-250 wheels that will clear your 14" drums. We've heard that they exist, but I've not heard anyone give an exact donor vehicle source. You'd not be able to use the stock hub caps with these. Stu

Old 03-25-2011, 08:09 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Wow! I just wanted to say welcome to the site! I just looked at your pictures and that is one beautiful F3 ! I would love to see under the hood!
VERY NICE !!!

Old 03-25-2011, 09:33 PM
ArmyFord
Junior User
Greetings from a fellow F3 owner. It's good to see more F3s on here.
I went through the same thing you are going through now. I went with the Dana 60 option and 16" wheels from an F2. I decided to do this before I got too far into the rebuild. I would like to be able to drive it while I'm working on it. Anyway, good luck on deciding which option you are going to take. Whichever you choose, you have come to the right place. Everyone is very helpful.

Dan

Old 03-26-2011, 01:37 AM
KJLYPW
Posting Guru
I modifed my back axle to use 75 F-250 16.5 wheels and brakes, used original axle and hubs, 75 backing plates brakes and drums, new stud bolts. Pictures in my gallery.

Old 03-26-2011, 05:26 AM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Originally Posted by KJLYPW
I modifed my back axle to use 75 F-250 16.5 wheels and brakes, used original axle and hubs, 75 backing plates brakes and drums, new stud bolts. Pictures in my gallery.
Nice job!! Clean installation, nicely described, and photographed. Years ago a former member, Oilyowl, did a similar modification. Did you follow his method or work it out on your own? If I'm correct, our Bob Jones has archived Oilyowl's gallery info since it is, to my understanding, no longer accessible here. Or maybe you just need to take a different path to get to it, I forget which.

This upgrade would also work perfectly with the stock F-2/F-250 16" wheels. A 16" wheel/tire combo will be slightly taller than a 16.5" combo of comparable width, and would allow use of the stock F-2/F-3/F-250 hub caps. Stu

Old 03-27-2011, 01:02 PM
pgh49ford
New User
Thanks so much for the great info. I appreciate the listing in order of my best options. I have no idea which route I am going to take. I do know that I will spend the next couple of days rereading the posts and trying to decipher all of the info and getting in touch with some of the others who have already solved their problems, to put a cost on just how much each route might run me. If anyone has a lead on a dana 60, early f-2 axle, or 17.5" tubeless wheels, dont hesitate to let me know. I am in pittsburgh pa. When one says "expensive" on the custom wheels, i am curious as to how much those who have gone this route have spent. Anyway, what is odd is that I have had 3 old ford guys look at these wheels and all have stated they arent what they remember "widowmakers" looking like. I will try to post some more pics of the truck and the wheels. This wheel problem and door seals and headliner are the only things left, to finishing this as far as I wish to take it. I really love this truck and the wife and I smile from ear to ear while riding in it and the reason I bought it was that it seemed not as common as the f-1, but from reading on here, it doesnt appear so rare!! lol. I read somewhere they only produced a little over 16,000 f-3's in '49. Is that correct? I have still kept it a 6 volt, and tried to keep it stock cause it reminds me of a simpler time and amazes me that at anytime it was described as a "million dollar cab". I chuckle at that everytime i sit in it and it never fails to make a bad day good. Park it next to just about anything old and more people ask me about it than all the common musclecars and classics that are far more beautiful than mine. That is a good feeling. As for my 96, bought it new and believe it or not, up until about 4 years ago, it was kept outside and driven as a daily driver. Over 140K miles and running strong. Not a flaw in the interior and a truck I would never never never part with. Too many memories and from the day I bought it until now, a truck that leaves me as excited about its looks as it did the day I drove it off the lot. Fords. Love em!

Old 03-27-2011, 01:43 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Here's a thread were a '56 F-250 owner is looking for replacements for his "funky" odd ball sized wheels. I'll bet a cold adult beverage they are your 17.5s. If you can get him to let go of them.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ernatives.html

I'm totally with you on having a truck that is different than all the rest. I look forward to the day when one of mine is to the stage you are at. I too have watched spectators walk past the others to see the unusual truck with stock restoration.

As for your '96, here's my '97 F-250 that I spec'd and ordered new. Still have it and don't plan to replace it. Naturally with the actual truckdog handling shotgun. Stu

Attached Images  
Old 03-27-2011, 06:28 PM
pgh49ford
New User
will check out the link on the wheels and see what i can coax him on. I see you are a man with similar tastes to mine.... A faithful ford and a faithful lab! Have three labs myself. All rescues. Just like my fords, the dogs make my bad days good. I tell the wife all the time that for a long time, we told everyone that we rescued them, but truth be told, they rescued us and have healed us more than we could have healed them. I actually had the three labs in the bed of the 49 and drove em around town slowly. Of course, with that f3, slow is my only option!

Old 03-27-2011, 06:29 PM
pgh49ford
New User
oh.....nice truck btw.....timeless styling!

Old 03-27-2011, 06:43 PM
pgh49ford
New User
Stu,

before i forget. If i were to be able to get ahold of tubeless wheels, what tire could i use on them? Hope I dont appear too stupid, but i am wheel/tire illiterate as I begin to tackle this out of nowhere problem. I thought that 16" rims offer many solutions, radials included, but that 7.50x17 which i had hoped to stay with are limited. So, with The little bit of research i did do before encountering this rim problem appears to leave me with only one 7.50x17 tire from Universal and 4 from Coker. Some with some outrageous load capacity ranges that if I were to follow would no doubt have me bouncing down the road like a superball. And aside from 3 labs, nothing will be hauled in this thing! A couple had more reasonable capacities but this whole tubeless rim thing leaves me with more questions than answers. Thanks in advance for the info and not laughing too loud at my lack of tire/wheel knowledge.

Old 03-27-2011, 06:49 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Good man, adopting rescues. My wife is a pro dog trainer, AKC judge, does a lot of lab rescue, and occasionally breeds one of her lab show dogs. Seeing a rescue dog connect with a new owner is a real joy to see. When the dog jumps willingly into the new person's car or truck, it's clear that the dog understands what's going on.

At any given time we've got 18 or more here. I joke that she has a dozen, I have one. Stu

Edit - The only way you'll be able to use 7.50 x 17s is if you go with the custom wheels. You asked what that costs, and while I don't have exact numbers, I'd say you're probably in the $225 or more range each. Plus tires. If you go with the 17.5s, you'll be looking at 8-17.5" bias ply or 8R17.5 radials. Here's the Universal Tire catalog listing of their 8-17.5s. http://www.universaltire.com/truck-a...truck.html?p=2

If you go with the F-2/F-250 16" stock wheels with the rear end swap, you can use either bias or radials as you see fit. The Universal Catalog lists them too, or you can get them locally too. Stu

Old 03-27-2011, 07:03 PM
pgh49ford
New User
Cant figure out how labs end up in a situation where they are a week away from being euthanized. Two of mine were within a week from being euthanized and it is obvious that someone spent time in the field with each of them, yet they were dumped and ended up in a shelter. I have two americans and one english. The good people at Lake Erie Labrador Retriever rescue are saints for getting them out and finding them homes. I would have three more if i had any more room on my bed or couch to accomodate them! lol. Maybe off of this site, we can exchange some dog pics and info. I would like that.

Quick Reply: wheel help