Projects Share with other members the details about your project truck or SUV. Old or new, gas or diesel, its all welcome here!

65 F100 4x4 got for parts only turns DD project

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 02:25 PM
Buzz44
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ill see if I can take some later and post them up. Havent done that yet but thats a good idea. The headers I used are flowtech. I got them from Jegs online. Had a little bit of a problem on the starter side had to bend in the bendix cover a little and dent the header a little. A smaller hitorque starter may have solved that problem. On the drivers side the clutch return spring bracket had to be moved back slightly to clear the header and it sits very close to the front driveshaft. Im sure when I take it for exhaust system the exhaust guy will know if that will fly and if not maybe he can correct that.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:01 AM
Buzz44
Posting Guru
Here are those pics.

There you have it this is what the headers look like from a squirrles eye view. Its hard to tell on the starter and the clutch linkage side as to fitment but there were a few issues. You tell me is the collector on the drivers side to close to the front drive line. I dont know. Never put headers on a 4wd vehical before. I will find out from the exhaust guy after the holidays.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:02 AM
sgettin
More Turbo
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
sorry but can't help much as to the headers my experiense is "0" in that regard but they do look very close to your front drive shaft. i know things can flex/move around a little when your going down the road if it were me i'd drive around and see how it goes (highly technical advice on my part).
kind of a spendy alternative but i've thought about the ram horn type headers for my 4x4 292. exhaust guy looked at the truck when i had it in the shop and said it would be a tight fit also so...?

Old 12-09-2011, 10:14 AM
Buzz44
Posting Guru
The shop I go to has been doing exhaust systems for years. Dave who is the owner now was working for his dad so they have been at it for many years. Plus he is a Ford fanatic he is into rods and stock cars and trucks. Thats why I go to him for all my exhaust system work.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:47 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Sure isn't much room between the DS and collector. You may need to cut/bend somewhere between the pipe merge and collector flange, to add a bit more clearance. I have a sneaky feeling the DS will become well acquianted with the collector as it sits now.....

Old 12-10-2011, 02:57 AM
Buzz44
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Rogue_Wulff
Sure isn't much room between the DS and collector. You may need to cut/bend somewhere between the pipe merge and collector flange, to add a bit more clearance. I have a sneaky feeling the DS will become well acquianted with the collector as it sits now.....
Yup Im thinking your right. I just want to keep them distant cousins. Not kissin cousins. Hoping my exhaust system guy will have a plan.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:10 PM
Customcab
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Been viewing your progress for awhile; your doing great work. I'ts amazing result so far from your initial begining. Keep up the good work guys.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:31 AM
Buzz44
Posting Guru
Thanks Mitch Im kind of slowed up by the winter weather and the holidays. Not getting alot of help from my son right now as he is busy getting himself enrolled in collage and finding a place to live down at WSU. Ill let him know what you said. I got the trans shifter back from the fab shop but it was not quite bent enough to clear the transfercase shifter so back to the fab man for more bending. When I get the shifter so everything is copastetic ill make him street legal. Then its off to the muffler man for some quieter breathing tubes. Probably post up some more pics at the start of the new year if there is more progress by then.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:38 PM
Someformofhuman
Freshman User
That truck was in rough shape. Props for sticking with it. Can't wait to see it when it's all done.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:21 PM
Buzz44
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Someformofhuman
That truck was in rough shape. Props for sticking with it. Can't wait to see it when it's all done.
Yeah it was rough but Ive seen worse on FTE. Ive just been holding on to enough parts through the years to just about build another truck. Good thing is now Ill have a little more room in my garage. You will probably have to stick around for the complete finish. This is just about as far as it goes as I have a 63 to get back to work on. When the 63 is complete then the 65 will get the full frame off. This was kind of a hit it and get it type resto. Thanks for the props. I just replaced the rear pinion seal at the rearend it had a bad leak. I have one more seal to replace on the TC it is the front drive shaft output seal it leaks real bad. I have to get a proper size socket to undo the yoke. All the tools and didnt have a socket the proper size. Damn Fords.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:26 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Buzz44
I have to get a proper size socket to undo the yoke. All the tools and didnt have a socket the proper size. Damn Fords.
Oh come on! It's not Ford's fault you didn't have the right socket.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:18 PM
Buzz44
Posting Guru
If you arent swearing at Ford under your breath while you work on a Ford then you havent worked on a Ford. Ha Ha yeah I know but got to blame someone. I should be happy gives me an excuse to make a trip to harbor freight this weekend.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:27 PM
Buzz44
Posting Guru
sorry fat pointing finger hit enter twice

Last edited by Buzz44; 01-04-2012 at 08:28 PM. Reason: double post
Old 01-04-2012, 08:28 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Buzz44
If you arent swearing at Ford under your breath while you work on a Ford then you havent worked on a Ford. Ha Ha yeah I know but got to blame someone. I should be happy gives me an excuse to make a trip to harbor freight this weekend.
That's funny! I usually say that about chrysler engineers/designers! I've worked on a lot of Caravan/Voyagers. So I've done a lot of cussing and throwing tools, while threatening bodily harm to any chrysler engineer I ever can get my hands on!!!

Old 01-05-2012, 12:47 PM
Buzz44
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by fordman75
That's funny! I usually say that about chrysler engineers/designers! I've worked on a lot of Caravan/Voyagers. So I've done a lot of cussing and throwing tools, while threatening bodily harm to any chrysler engineer I ever can get my hands on!!!
We owned a 77 plymoth volarie once. That was my first and last Chrysler product. Take what you just said and multiply by 10. It left such a bad taste in my mouth I swore no more Dodge or Chrysler period. You cant even pay me to own one. Even if you are paying me I figure it would end up costing me somehow.

Quick Reply: 65 F100 4x4 got for parts only turns DD project