Sponsored by: DP Tuner

99 7.3 starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 12:38 AM
outloudaz
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 99 7.3 starting issues

I am having major starting issues with truck. I have changed valve cover gaskets and harness. I changed CPS and fuel pump. Many other sensors in last few months. Has ran periodically. I am looking for someone in Phoenix area with AE that would be willing to help a newcomer out. I would buy program but medical has taken away the funds right now.

Any help from a good samaratin would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:43 AM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Have you checked your glow plug system ? Are these cold weather starts you are having problems with ? How is your batteries...? See my picture gallery for glow plug relay info and checking method..
A big welcome to the forum.. A lot of great help is here.. be sure give enough info for us to read on your problems..

Old 03-22-2011, 01:19 AM
outloudaz
New User
99 7.3 starting problems

[FONT=System]Yes, I have been through the glow plug system and the IPR. I also checked the HPOP . The only thing I need to eliminate is the Injector driver module. I can't check much else with out access to AE scanning program. Thank you I am glad to be here with fellow powerstroke owners.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:50 AM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by outloudaz
I am looking for someone in Phoenix area with AE that would be willing to help a newcomer out.
I'm in Payson if you can make the drive.

If you can't make the drive I can come to Phoenix.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:19 PM
outloudaz
New User
Thank you PaysonPSD. I appreciate your offer to help me out. I might have a bad fuel pump AGAIN! Just replaced it a month ago. Im not getting anything close to 90-110lbs either. I am going to troubleshoot it further tomorrow.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:30 PM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You might have a blockage in your tank.. I would suggest disconnecting the fuel line on the back of your pump and reconnecting a piece of fuel hose (or equiv) and put the other end in a bucket of diesel.. and try it.. But, 1st i would check your fuel bowl housing for fuel if it is not starting..

Old 03-22-2011, 11:49 PM
Nsaan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had to drop the tank and clean the screens on my truck, I changed the filter, fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator too, I really did not want to drop the tank, but really it is not that hard, you just need a second set of hands. You will not / should not get that much pressure ever, I was getting 65-70 psi, I think that is all you should have MAX from what I read on here.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:20 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Thank you PaysonPSD. I appreciate your offer to help me out.
My email addy is rfhurt at npgcable dot com. Cell is nine two eight nine seven eight zero zero six eight.

If you want to test your pump on vehicle like suggested by Clint here is how the connection at rear of pump is removed. It is not the typical quick-connect type. Once you get the connector separated you can slide a piece of hose right on the pump's rear fitting.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:42 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
I am having major starting issues with truck. I have changed valve cover gaskets and harness. I changed CPS and fuel pump. Many other sensors in last few months. Has ran periodically. I am looking for someone in Phoenix area with AE that would be willing to help a newcomer out. I would buy program but medical has taken away the funds right now.

Any help from a good samaratin would be greatly appreciated.
Give me a call, I have AE. We can get you fixed up.
I can't PM you since you haven't activated that feature yet. Here is my cell. (602) nine zero nine three five two seven.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:19 AM
outloudaz
New User
Thanks for the schematic PSD. I ran a fuel pressure check on my truck today and I am getting 110 at the pump. I had a lot of air in lines and discovered that the fuel retaining clip at the front of the pump was mangled and was letting a good bit of air in the line.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:21 AM
outloudaz
New User
I will give you a call gChavez. I appreciate the help.
Thank You all

Old 03-24-2011, 10:40 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by clintbonnie
You might have a blockage in your tank.. I would suggest disconnecting the fuel line on the back of your pump and reconnecting a piece of fuel hose (or equiv) and put the other end in a bucket of diesel.. and try it.. But, 1st i would check your fuel bowl housing for fuel if it is not starting..
I think you might be on to something there...

I went out with the AE and took a look. We found a few codes. What caught my attention was ICP higher than expected at idle and lower then expected at idle. Started up the truck and it idled quite rough with a heavy cackle sound. Almost a bit like what I expect fuel knock to sound like. At idle ICP was over 3200 psi with IPR duty cycle at about 4%. We let it run for a little while longer and then shut it down.

Buzz test sounded good.

We pulled out the fuel filter and keyed on to see how fast it filled. The fuel pump ran until it timed out and the bowl was less than half full. So, I am suspecting a clogged pickup tube/mixing chamber issue. We put the filter back in, cycled the key about 3 or 4 times to get the filter housing full and started it up. It ran rough for a split second and then smoothed out nicely. Roll the accelerator a few times and the engine rev'ed nicely. After about 6 seconds or so, it starts to run rough again. The longer it runs, the louder the cackle is.

So, at this point I think he needs to get a fuel can and a hose and bypass the tank and see if that solves the idle problem.

What has me confused is why the high ICP? 3200 psi at idle can't be right. It's an early '99 btw....
We unplugged the ICP and it made no difference other than the duty cycle settled in at 14%. Does this make sense to anyone?

At any rate, first things first. I suggested he try the fuel can thing and if the engine runs smooth then he needs to drop the tank.

Here is a link to the Hutch Mod.
Welcome to guzzle's In-tank Hutch Mod Web Page

(still can't understand why ICP was so darn high at idle....)

EDIT: Actually, the engine ran worse with the ICP sensor unplugged. Also noted that the PCM had been changed by the dealer many years back. (there was a sticker under the hood stating such...). Fuel pump is a few months old as well.

Old 03-27-2011, 01:27 AM
outloudaz
New User
I did the hutch mod on the truck today. It is running better,but the truck still seems like it is misfiring. The injectors are real noisy. I also found that the engine light flashes sporadically as I am driving. I also found out that the voltage regulator went bad in the alternator. Would having low voltage cause truck to run rough?

Anymore input would be appreciated. Thanks again
Troy

Old 03-27-2011, 01:57 AM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Varying voltage can have effects on the 5 volt reference voltage used by some of the sensors and may cause some weird running.

Old 03-27-2011, 03:28 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

I did the hutch mod on the truck today. It is running better,but the truck still seems like it is misfiring. The injectors are real noisy. I also found that the engine light flashes sporadically as I am driving. I also found out that the voltage regulator went bad in the alternator. Would having low voltage cause truck to run rough?

Anymore input would be appreciated. Thanks again
Troy
Good to hear that you are making progress.
A bad voltage regulator can cause a variety of problems. Are you replacing the alternator soon? Perhaps I should stop by again, clear your codes and see what re-appears. Besides, I am real curious to see if your ICP and IPR duty cycle readings returned to normal.

Give me a call if you want me to stop by later today or tomorrow.