Sterling Disks

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 02:08 PM
NorthernDiesel
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sterling Disks

Howdy All,

There was a recent post where someone mentioned disc brakes on Sterling 10.25 or 10.50 full floaters.

I want to do a rear disk conversion; all the kits are based on some semi-homemade brackets and chevy calipers etc... but I got the sense thay maybe there are OEM Ford parts I could fit on my 10.25 rear axle? I'd much rather do that if I could.

I have my 10.25 sitting in my garage for rebuild (new SS lines etc...) so now's the time for mods!

Old 03-21-2011, 06:31 PM
farmert
Logistics Pro
Received 515 Likes on 249 Posts
The Sterling 10.5 comes with disc brakes, but the bolt pattern is different from the 10.25. Every write up that I have seen say to use Chevy or cadilac calipers.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:33 AM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
Received 2,706 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Ruff Stuff is where I go for my disc brake kits. Dan is a great guy who knows his stuff (and is a Pirate4x4 sponsor). Their kits use a bolt-on bracket that requires the Chevy caliper, and '96 E350 rear rotors. The closest to "Ford" you will find in a kit...

Old 03-22-2011, 10:36 AM
Country_boy_2007
Posting Guru
we are actually getting ready to do this conversion on a GM 14 bolt FF. we are going to be running chevy rotors and 76 chevy 3/4 ton calipers. you should beable to find someone that makes the brackets.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:07 AM
BlueOvalBud
Posting Guru
Shame on me, I haven't done a bit of reading about this yet...but I'm going to ask anyway...

Is there a big weight difference between the stock drums and disc swap?

Also, for folks who need a parking brake to pass vehicle inspection each year...you'll need to add some other type of brake. I was thinking of a driveline parking brake. My '65 F350 with NP435 has a drum brake setup with a ratcheting lever that is mounted on the output yoke from the transmission. Very reliable. Works better than these awful parking brake cables and absolute junk on my 85. I'll try a disc brake driveline parking brake if I do disc brakes on the rear axle in my '65. (It won't be an 8.8 then, it would be a 10.25 with discs)

Old 03-22-2011, 11:23 AM
NorthernDiesel
Senior User
Is that equivalent to the parking brake system on the super duty trucks? I've been told they had the same setup as the 4x tranny or transfer cases but with that drum brake on the output.

Maybe I'm blurring too many lines, can someone shed some light on what trucks had disc brake setups?

Old 03-22-2011, 11:27 AM
BlueOvalBud
Posting Guru
Yes, that's what I've read from my reading also.
The 87-97 F-Superduty's with the ZF5 had a driveline parking brake on the back of a 4x4 ZF5 case. Apparently, removal of the parking brake gives you the ability to bolt a transfer case on...
They had Dana 80 rears with 10 lugs and disc brakes.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:09 PM
BlueOvalBud
Posting Guru
Here, I took some pictures of the driveline brake on my '65 with 4 speed NP435.

And the lever in the cab, it's the short one to the right of the shifter.

Here's a link from a google search for "Driveline Parking Brake".
1997 Dodge Ram 2500 Transfer Case Photo 3

All Pro Off-Road Disc Parking Brake Review - ORN

Driveline Parking Brake - STAK 4X4

Another option is a Line-Lok like Oreo used. Mounts inline the standard brake lines. Apply pressure to the pedal, hit the switch, and the unit locks brake pressure. My '65 has this setup also, Mico Brake-Lok, but it says "Not to be used for parking brake". So I'm guessing use that, but keep the manual brake applied also just in case.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:12 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueOvalBud

Also, for folks who need a parking brake to pass vehicle inspection each year...you'll need to add some other type of brake.
and, or for the folks who would like to have a way of stopping in the event of a hydraulic blow out.
(im still in disbelieve we have places in North America that don't require a basic vehicle safety inspection at least once a year.scary really when you think about it.)

here's a good one.id pay up for the more expensive calipers so you have an emergency brake.
how much do you value your life,loved ones riding with you,and of course your truck!
remember,cheap line locks = parking brake only.not emergency brake.they will not pass safety inspection as such,because they are just as worthless to you as the peddle is,should a line blow lol.

Ford 10.25 Full Float Axle Rear Disk Brake and Rebuild

Old 03-22-2011, 01:41 PM
NorthernDiesel
Senior User
I like that setup. I've seen a few of the aftermarket setups, but I like the idea of using Ford stock as you can be sure there's one combination of parts that will bolt right up. I was talking to a member about a trade for a ZF from a superduty, maybe that drum brake setup could be incorporated.

Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
...(im still in disbelieve we have places in North America that don't require a basic vehicle safety inspection at least once a year.scary really when you think about it.)
Second that. I couldn't believe moving from Nova Scotia to Ontario, that the most populated province in Canada (by at least 200%) didn't require annual inspections, and little NS did. Its a pain even on a daily basis... people driving around with headlights aimed directly into oncoming driver's eyes is a personal peeve of mine. Usually turns out its some sweet old lady that doesn't even realize it.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:52 PM
NorthernDiesel
Senior User
I just noticed that TSM Manufacturing has a set of adapters but also sell calipers with integral parking brake mechanisms. Pricing is pretty steep though.

Old 03-22-2011, 04:54 PM
Otahyoni
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I like the idea of 4 wheel disc brakes, but its way out of my price range...

What i really need is a working parking brake...

Old 03-22-2011, 05:14 PM
snaponprofile
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Otahyoni
What i really need is a working parking brake...
Me too, lol.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:17 PM
oreocreaming
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
heres how it goes. the f450 comes with a 4x4 tranny, their parking brake bolts to the back of it where your transfer case would go in a 4x4. so, as long as your 2wd you can run that system. if your 4x4 like me, you get the calipers off a cadillac and run a short extension on your cables to activate the emergency/parking brake. ive got the brackets for the rear disc conversion for my 10.25 just havent gotten the time or extra money to finish it. been blowin it on other stuff lol. but its coming soon. theres also a soft line hydraulic brake extension kit you will need. it threads onto the hard line the drum brake runs and hooks to the new cadi disc calipers.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:14 PM
Cruickie
Senior User
Originally Posted by NorthernDiesel
I couldn't believe moving from Nova Scotia to Ontario....
Where abouts in NS are you from?!

Quick Reply: Sterling Disks