1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Vacume Brake Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 12:37 PM
bmoran4
Cargo Master
Received 550 Likes on 400 Posts
Vacume Brake Issues?

So my '52 F6 has been awakend from winter hibernation. She woke up just fine, but after driving her about 200 miles already this season, I have encountered numerous times recently where when braking that the brake pedal will begin to push back all the way to it's unpressed position and will be as hard as a rock and braking power seems to be about 50% in those scenarios. I have never done any work with drum brake systems before (only disc). Not sure how much I want to tackle or what even is wrong or needs to be done. I believe the brakes are vacume assisted. I would appreciate it if anyone with any insight or suggestions would chime in.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:09 PM
lexcoe
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sounds like you have a broken, cracked or leaking vacume hose or line to me.....John

Old 03-22-2011, 09:14 AM
bmoran4
Cargo Master
So it appears that I need to do the following:

1) Replace vacume line and boost
Where do I get a line and boost?
2) Adjust the brakes
So I gotta pull the wheels off and mess with the drums? Never done anything with disc brakes before... any hints?

Old 03-22-2011, 08:53 PM
lexcoe
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you sit in the truck and pump the brakes up till the pedal feels firm, and then start her up the pedal should fall a little if the vacume system is functioning correctly. If it doesnt fall i would inspect the vacume lines and booster and replace anything that appears suspect and then try again. Try that first. Anybody else care to chime in? LOL John

Old 03-23-2011, 10:01 AM
bmoran4
Cargo Master
Building pressure does and then starting the engine causes the pedal to become even harder and I believe I burned some brake fluid.

The history of the vehicle indicates that the Vacume Line and Vacume Boost are original. The brakes are likely to never have been adjusted eiter and have the original master and wheel cylinders. Because of the behavior of the brake pedal indicating faulty vacume line and boost, I would like to replace them but have no clue where to begin on finding those parts so any catalogue numbers and such would be helpful.

Also, I would like to know how to adjust the drum brakes; it's something I have never done before.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:19 AM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 332 Likes on 256 Posts
If you're going that deep into your brake system, you really need a shop manual. All these procedures are outlined in it and it's available in either CD or paper on ebay for about $35

Old 03-23-2011, 10:56 AM
bmoran4
Cargo Master
49-52 Truck Shop Service Manual and 1952 Factory Shop Service Manual Supplement have been purchased on you recommendation, mtflat.

Now, the hunt for parts....

Old 03-23-2011, 11:23 AM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Maybe you've already found these, but here's a couple of recent threads on the general subject. The first one names some vendors of rebuilt/replacement parts iirc.

Hopefully you know about Joblot Automotive on Long Island. They're the best big truck source and are online. Better yet they use the Ford part numbers in their catalogs.

Local auto parts places have some stuff, but locally your big truck shops can probably supply a lot of parts.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...er-needed.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ake-stuff.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...-too-hard.html

Old 03-23-2011, 01:23 PM
bmoran4
Cargo Master
WOW! No I have not heard of JobLot Automotive. I just ordered their catalog F (too bad there isn't a PDF online).

mtflat, here's a virtual beer for ya:
(not quite sure how to send a real one through the computer)

Old 03-23-2011, 03:18 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

I might just look you up for that beer sometime...lol My roots are in the Youngstown OH/ Pittsburgh PA area so I get back that way once a year.

I also have a couple of F6's (48 and 52) so I keep an eye out for medium truck stuff.

Happy to be of help.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:37 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
I haven't had my F6 back on the road yet since I tore it all down but I did get a new master cylinder from Page Brake here locally Page Brake | Home
they may have some parts or rebuilding options too?

good luck

Josh