Sponsored by:

Aux input for factory stereo

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 12:49 PM
TomFL
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RobRoss
No, if you don't have RSE like me, you need the kit I mention earlier in this thread. That kit will give you a jack that you can use as a direct input via your cd. That company also sells a kit that will power your iPod. Does that help?
I do have RSE.. now I'm more cornfused!!

-T

Old 07-04-2011, 12:59 PM
RobRoss
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Then it's easy for you, plug into the aux of the over head DVD and you can listen to your iPod. We did it this way in my first Excursion that had RSE. Got it?

Old 07-04-2011, 07:13 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Old 07-04-2011, 09:03 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Yeah I stopped at a pilot truck stop on my way home from the dealer to buy my 3.5 to rca connector for my satellite radio. works great.

Old 07-05-2011, 05:54 AM
TomFL
Mountain Pass
Thanks RobRoss, wound up ordering a cable yesterday, along with a charging adapter for my generation iPod (5th generation iPod nano):

RCA connectors: iPod to Audio RCA Output Connector Cable - Sonic Electronix

Charging adapter for my iPod: Scosche IFWA Apple iPod passPORT Charging Adapter

Should be in this week, I'll post and let you know how it all works out.

Thanks for all the help guys, this has saved me a ton of frustration/money in trying to get my iPod hooked up to the Excursion.

-T

Old 07-05-2011, 10:23 AM
freesoul
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Then it's easy for you, plug into the aux of the over head DVD and you can listen to your iPod. We did it this way in my first Excursion that had RSE. Got it?
I have been using this setup for awhile, want to get rid of the wire dangling down between my seats though and have a cleaner look

Old 07-11-2011, 03:27 PM
TomFL
Mountain Pass
OK, I must be missing something. I got the iPod to RCA cable I referenced in my post above, and plugged it into the DVD player in the rear. Turned everything on and......NADA!

I'm hoping it's one of two things: First, my cable has a 12v + and - wire that I assumed were for the charging feature, but don't want to go through the trouble of hooking it all up if the cable doesn't work. Do I need a 12v source to get this to work?

Or... could it be that I am doing something wrong with the radio controls? I do not have a manual for my radio so I have no idea how to work everything. I tried putting the front system on "DVD" setting. Is this correct? I tried just about everything.

FYI, I have in-dash 6-CD changer, steering wheel controls, and RSE system.

Any ideas???

-T

Old 07-11-2011, 05:31 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Does your dvd play over the factory speakers with a DVD in?
You have to:
1) plug iphone into RCA harness
2) plug RCA harness into aux input to DVD player in 2nd row
3) turn main headunit to "CD/DVD"
4) hit the "aux" button on the 2nd row DVD player
5) play music.

If it doesn't play DVD audio over your speakers then someone may have unplugged that input in the rear of the headunit.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:35 PM
RobRoss
Laughing Gas
Tom, what year is your truck? I might be able to get you an owners manual. I also need your email address so I can send it to you.

Originally Posted by TomFL
OK, I must be missing something. I got the iPod to RCA cable I referenced in my post above, and plugged it into the DVD player in the rear. Turned everything on and......NADA!

I'm hoping it's one of two things: First, my cable has a 12v + and - wire that I assumed were for the charging feature, but don't want to go through the trouble of hooking it all up if the cable doesn't work. Do I need a 12v source to get this to work?

Or... could it be that I am doing something wrong with the radio controls? I do not have a manual for my radio so I have no idea how to work everything. I tried putting the front system on "DVD" setting. Is this correct? I tried just about everything.

FYI, I have in-dash 6-CD changer, steering wheel controls, and RSE system.

Any ideas???

-T

Old 07-11-2011, 08:42 PM
TomFL
Mountain Pass
Tom, what year is your truck? I might be able to get you an owners manual. I also need your email address so I can send it to you.
Rob, my truck is an '04. PM sent with email info. Thanks!

-T

Old 03-21-2013, 02:53 PM
mmuthart
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This thread is two and a half years old, but am wondering if there are any new solutions to direct connect my iPhone/iPod through the OEM headunit (6-disc) with RES (rear entertainment system) in my '05 Excursion?

The conclusion in this thread is that you must go through the AUX input on the rear DVD player. No plug and play solutions at the back of the head unit?

Old 03-21-2013, 03:08 PM
jeeplj8
Senior User
Originally Posted by mmuthart
This thread is two and a half years old, but am wondering if there are any new solutions to direct connect my iPhone/iPod through the OEM headunit (6-disc) with RES (rear entertainment system) in my '05 Excursion?

The conclusion in this thread is that you must go through the AUX input on the rear DVD player. No plug and play solutions at the back of the head unit?
nope. No company has ever figured out how to add another input.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:52 PM
mmuthart
Junior User
Originally Posted by jeeplj8
nope. No company has ever figured out how to add another input.
That's unfortunate. I'll give the solution a try, but looks likes if the kiddos are watching a movie, I won't be listening to my iPhone.

Thanks for the quick reply though.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:18 PM
Eric H
Senior User
I started a project a few weeks ago... I just need to reassemble and take it out to the truck to test.

I have a 2001 Excursion with factory CD/Tape Radio. It doesn't have the rear entertainment package.

I opened up the radio and found the point on the circuit board where the CD player's left/right audio pins connect. I soldered the ends of a 3.5mm stereo cable to these points and to a ground.

Once complete I should be able to load burned "blank" CD to turn on the radio's amp and connect my MP3 player. All for the total of $3 it cost for the 3.5mm cable.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:08 PM
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Posting Legend
I have a '05 with the RSE, I am contemplating buying a Headunit from an Navi, F150, Expy that had the SAT and AUX button already on it. But if I did that, would I lose the ability to hear the DVD player over the speakers?

-The Great

Quick Reply: Aux input for factory stereo