Sponsored by:

Aux input for factory stereo

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 09:56 PM
4kidsEx
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aux input for factory stereo

I want to add an auxillary input to my factory stereo. I have found a kit from iCarKits and it appears it will plug into the cd changer port on my stock radio. I was curious if anyone has installed something like this to their Ex and if it works well. Tried to post a pic but no luck.
Neo Auxin - AUXFRD20

Old 03-20-2011, 10:49 PM
al1270
New User
I also have the cd changer so I added this a couple weeks ago and so far works great.
UNIVERSAL RADIO WIRED 3.5MM RCA IPOD AUX FM MODULATOR - eBay (item 390288087886 end time Apr-11-11 06:40:14 PDT)

Old 03-21-2011, 06:25 AM
4kidsEx
Junior User
I dont have a cd changer so I thought I would put that port to use. Does the FM Modulator get much interference? I have a Sirrius Sat radio and the FM Modulator in it is weak. It is part of the reason I want to get an Aux port in my truck.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:20 AM
labman1014
Elder User
I have used a PIE device in my f150. Plan on getting one for me Ex soon as I upgrade to a newer oem radio. I took out my cd changer anyway so that port will be open. I mainly want mp3.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:25 AM
al1270
New User
Originally Posted by 4kidsEx
I dont have a cd changer so I thought I would put that port to use. Does the FM Modulator get much interference? I have a Sirrius Sat radio and the FM Modulator in it is weak. It is part of the reason I want to get an Aux port in my truck.
As far as I am concerned no. The antenna plugs right into it so it's not really broadcasted. I did want to use the cd input but it's easier to keep my daughers sing along loaded in it and use my ipod for my stuff.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:07 AM
Nosedive1
Junior User
This is the fm modulator that I used. Is the Sirius Fm modulator that you currently use wireless? If that's the case, then that is where you are picking up the interference. A hard wired fm modulator essentially interrupts the signal coming in from the antenna and replaces it with the signal from the auxillary input. I had XM with the wireless fm modulator and in Houston, TX it hardly worked due to the interference. Now with the hard wired fm modulator I get zero interference.

Amazon.com: Scosche FM-MOD02 Universal Audio Input FM Modulator for iPod, Satellite Radio or Portable Music Player: Electronics

Old 03-21-2011, 08:20 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Hey guys. Just wanted to throw this out there, but are you against replacing the factory head unit with an aftermarket headunit? For less than $200 you could get everything (sat radio, USB, Aux input, changer controls, and the ability to expand with external amplifiers) you wanted in one unit that will actually increase your sound quality too.
Just a thought.

As for the FM Modulator...don't go wireless, you'll end up unhappy in the long run as the sound quality from interference is pretty poor.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:45 AM
4kidsEx
Junior User
I had thought about changing my head unit but im concerned about the interface between the dvd player head unit and steering wheel controls.

I am using the wireless modulator thats built into the Sirrius unit. I move it between my work truck (it has an aux input) and my EX. I was just curious if anyone had delt with the folks at iCarkits. I have read that some of these types of kits can be problematic.

You guys are a wealth of knowledge! There is always someone that has been there and done that!

Old 03-21-2011, 03:41 PM
jeeplj8
Senior User
I want to add an auxillary input to my factory stereo. I have found a kit from iCarKits and it appears it will plug into the cd changer port on my stock radio. I was curious if anyone has installed something like this to their Ex and if it works well. Tried to post a pic but no luck.
Neo Auxin - AUXFRD20
I thought this would not work on a unit that has rear seat entertainment? Do you have RSE and does it still work?

Old 03-21-2011, 03:48 PM
4kidsEx
Junior User
I hope so I just ordered it and I do have a RSE. The person I talked with said it plays through the CD changer port. If your head unit is designed to operate a CD changer it will work. I guess I will know in about a week or so.

Old 03-21-2011, 03:53 PM
jeeplj8
Senior User
which units work with a changer? Is there a chart anywehere?

Old 03-21-2011, 03:57 PM
4kidsEx
Junior User
What I have been told is that if you press the CD button twice and "no dj" pops up on the display then it will operate a changer but if it only displays "no cd" it will not. My unit says no dj. I dont know a lot about these ford radios but I guess I will learn.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:42 PM
RobRoss
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought a kit from logjam electronics and it was plug and play. I run my satellite through it. I posted all of this in a thread I started, I can try and find it in the am.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:45 PM
4kidsEx
Junior User
Originally Posted by RobRoss
I bought a kit from logjam electronics and it was plug and play. I run my satellite through it. I posted all of this in a thread I started, I can try and find it in the am.
Thanks that would be great!

Old 03-22-2011, 06:53 AM
RobRoss
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks that would be great!
See post #5 https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...vd-6-disc.html

I had big dreams of adding the jack to either the IP or in the console with an additional 12v port but gave that up quickly due to time. I mounted my satellite module module to the right of the steering column, it was quick and easy. You will need to pull the radio to add the kit I bought but its plug and chug. I also hooked the power to the delayed fuse so the satellite shuts off when the door opens (like the radio when the ign is off). HTH

Quick Reply: Aux input for factory stereo