6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Auto Transmission Shifting Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 01:54 PM
kluger
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With only 5K on the truck & no towing to date I'm experiencing a rare 2-3 upshift that seems to take too long and over-revs a few hundred rpm, though not as severe as some reported here. Also have noticed occasionally when applying throtttle while rolling - say when a light goes green just before you stop - throttle response seems delayed then kicks you back in your seat. Neither event is frequent or problematic yet but when I took the truck in for an oil change I asked the tech to look into the TSB reported here. He replied that he'd need to verify that the truck was truly experiencing the problem called out in the TSB before he could do anything. I understand.

What he came back with was that they need the truck for three days to pull three solenoids out of the tranny, check serial numbers of the parts with FOMOCO, and then possibly change the solenoids and/or procede with the flash. Sounds a bit different than most of what I've seen posted here. Anybody else run into anything similar?

Old 06-16-2011, 02:03 PM
Byram
Posting Guru

That Sounds like TSB 11-5-19 Which is for the 6.2 - That was the procedure with my gasser - They pulled the pan - got the correct solenoids overnight & I got the truck back the next day...

I may be wrong but I didn't think that they were pulling the solenoids on the 6.7's.

But - I've been wrong before....

Old 06-16-2011, 07:19 PM
harris25
Junior User
Had the silonoids replaced in my truck the other day. Did not fix the issue still experiencing the same as before.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:34 AM
kluger
Senior User
Harris25: 6.2 or 6.7? And did they flash the ECM/TCM as well? Mine's scheduled for R&R solenoids next Tuesday.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:40 AM
harris25
Junior User
6.7 and yes they did flash the ECM/TCM going to talk with the service manager and sales manager on what they want to do about it today. Been fighting this since I got the truck.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:27 AM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
It is amazing this problem has gone on so long.
Several with the same issue and all we customers want is a fix.
I drive with manual mode most of the time because I like this truck so much I can't leave it parked in my driveway.

The dealer and I are at the point where either I start paying for an attempted fix or the dealer pays out of pocket for a fix, which neither of us want to do nor do I expect the dealer to do.
They didn't design the truck.

Someday...

Old 06-17-2011, 06:01 PM
donovan
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Needs to be fixed

The transmission seems to be the week point on 6.7 truck.
I WANT ford to fix this so I can have a 6.7. I just don't understand why Ford has not put in the real fix yet. They must know why, and how.

I was hoping this one would be the fixed by now.

Does keeping the truck in manual mode prevent this????

Old 06-17-2011, 07:19 PM
excaliber551
Elder User
I hope they give all you who are having these tranny issues an extended warranty. These issues sure aren't going to prolong these transmissions life span at all. I'm curious to see what pops up after the warranty expires on the majority of those who have these issues.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:08 AM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by donovan
The transmission seems to be the week point on 6.7 truck.
I WANT ford to fix this so I can have a 6.7. I just don't understand why Ford has not put in the real fix yet. They must know why, and how.

I was hoping this one would be the fixed by now.

Does keeping the truck in manual mode prevent this????
No, manual mode is still auto except you have more control and it still can happen if you shift above 1,500 RPM after a drive then soak.
I've had more success (but can still occur) shifting below 1,500 RPM but it clunks into gear so I don't like it but it's better than clunking into gear at 2,500+ RPM because it high revved when unable to locate 3rd.
After it happens, all is well and I return back to my 1,800 RPM or so shift points.
The transmission seems to prefer shifting around that RPM.

Also shifting into 3rd multiple times at low speed (say leaving the subdivision or office) won't prevent it from occuring.
It's as if the TCM programming has to allow this failure for all to be normal again and getting into 3rd ahead of time doesn't clear it.
The TCM learns about good shifts and bad shifts and shouldn't repeat the bad shifts but something is preventing that bit of information from being interpreted correctly.

I know we won't see it but I'd certainly listen if an engineer were to explain what is going on between the programming and hardware when this issue occurs when they finally figure it out.

Old 06-18-2011, 05:18 PM
harris25
Junior User
Been going on long enough. My truck has spent more time in the shop getting diagnosed and worked on that I have driven it. My truck is being the guinea pig from the dealer I bought it from and all the other customers are holding off until they see if they can get mine fixed first before they waste their time bringing theirs in.

Old 06-18-2011, 05:29 PM
flaharleyguy
Senior User
I have said it before and get flamed, BTW could care less. The 6.7 is a great idea but was not ready for release. These issues are way more than isolated few. The dealers cant fix a poorly engineered transmission, NOX, and DEF system. Flame away!

Old 06-18-2011, 06:16 PM
wharrell
Tuned

My F350 4x4 Crew Cab is 3/15/2011 manufacturer date and I had my servicing dealer apply the latest TSB released in late April.

I have been in our NC Mountains this past week on paved roads up to 6200 feet elevation and on unpaved rough access roads down into Linville Gorge.

I was very pleased with the way the transmission performed and the downshifting breaking on steep descents is greatly improved over my 2008 F250. There were not many times I had to coax the transmission into a downshift. Uphill shifting was smooth also. The truck handled the steepest of inclines with ease and smooth shifting on high summit roads.

Overall I say the new transmission performs better under these conditions than in an in town situation where it is more apparent the truck is getting into higher gears at lower rpms without shifting to a lower gear as quickly as my 2008 when traversing hills down in the piedmont.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:07 PM
harris25
Junior User
I have to agree with flaharleyguy here. The other morning my transmission knocked so hard going into reverse I thought my drive line fell off. Get numerous hard erractic shifting and is sporadic. Somedays it works great like it should but for the most part it is always acting up.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:55 PM
cummins cowboy
Elder User
Originally Posted by kper05
It is amazing this problem has gone on so long.
Several with the same issue and all we customers want is a fix.
I drive with manual mode most of the time because I like this truck so much I can't leave it parked in my driveway.

The dealer and I are at the point where either I start paying for an attempted fix or the dealer pays out of pocket for a fix, which neither of us want to do nor do I expect the dealer to do.
They didn't design the truck.

Someday...
did you have the lastest flash done yet?? look at it like this, I have never head of a single report of a blown trans. not to say there is not problems, my trans does an occasional pop out of gear at slow speeds when shifting, warmer weather seems to have gotten rid of it. I would get the new flash myself but I am worried my mileage will go down like some have reported.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:26 PM
harris25
Junior User
yeah I have had all the latest flashes done on the truck. Skips, shifts hard, cant be any good on it and will wear on it some reducing the life of the transmission I am thinking.

Quick Reply: Auto Transmission Shifting Issues