1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

"You can save yourself a lot of money by doing your own bodywork"

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 08:39 PM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 126 Likes on 64 Posts
I do my own body and paint work. I have done it off and on for 35 years and I still do not like it. Body and paint work is a significant fraction of the total effort involved in restoring a truck (or a car). A lot of guys will tell you that they restored their car or truck. Often you will find that they had someone do the body and paint. Restoring a car or truck yourself is a lot more work than disassembling (absolutely the fastest part of the job-really insignificant in the total picture-imho), cleaning, ordering parts and reassembly.
I recently gained access to use a friends downdraft paint booth. Boy does that help! I am used to "painting in a closet" compared to being able to spread out/hang parts for painting like I can in his booth.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:11 PM
lvin4jc
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 49willard
I do my own body and paint work. I have done it off and on for 35 years and I still do not like it. Body and paint work is a significant fraction of the total effort involved in restoring a truck (or a car). A lot of guys will tell you that they restored their car or truck. Often you will find that they had someone do the body and paint.
I think that's why kit cars are looking more attractive all the time

Old 03-10-2011, 09:31 PM
iwanaflattie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 30 Likes on 8 Posts
I think that is why I like what the people call ''PATINA'' builds.
Plus my sheet metal is not too bad someone tried to do the bodywork on it a long time ago.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:33 PM
lvin4jc
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by iwanaflattie
I think that is why I like what the people call ''PATINA'' builds.
Plus my sheet metal is not too bad someone tried to do the bodywork on it a long time ago.
I wish every day that i'd just left mine alone, it had great patina.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:45 PM
iwanaflattie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 30 Likes on 8 Posts
its like finding a great old coin you dont scrub it clean or it looses its value.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:53 AM
coopdagook
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I found the key to good body work yourself is to convince your family that its a family project. especially during the hard parts like sanding. lol Mine came out well so far, this is my first time doing body work and it is very nerve racking, for me anyways, to shoot paint after doing so much prep work. I have had to redo some parts because I was not happy with it. i get everything set up and then I have to go outside and pump myself up, slap myself around alittle then go back grab the paint gun and shoot, lol. I will say this though it is very rewarding to take something with rust holes and pits, work it and then see the final product. I am a mechanic by trade, and I DO not see a career change anytime soon. I think this will by my first and last paint project. I can scratch this off my bucket list as things I did though. wayne here is your pic of the hood ornament. FYI, the camera phone does not do the flat black justice.

Attached Images   
Old 03-11-2011, 10:14 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by coopdagook
I found the key to good body work yourself is to convince your family that its a family project. especially during the hard parts like sanding. lol Mine came out well so far, this is my first time doing body work and it is very nerve racking, for me anyways, to shoot paint after doing so much prep work. I have had to redo some parts because I was not happy with it. i get everything set up and then I have to go outside and pump myself up, slap myself around alittle then go back grab the paint gun and shoot, lol. I will say this though it is very rewarding to take something with rust holes and pits, work it and then see the final product. I am a mechanic by trade, and I DO not see a career change anytime soon. I think this will by my first and last paint project. I can scratch this off my bucket list as things I did though. wayne here is your pic of the hood ornament. FYI, the camera phone does not do the flat black justice.
I also hate bodywork but if I had someone like that helping, I definitely would feel better about it!

I'm not a perfectionist, so my bodywork is good enough for my own purposes. I do it only because I can't afford to hire it out...

Old 03-11-2011, 10:44 AM
coopdagook
Senior User
I will add also that when I do paint I know where all the buggers are and see them when someone who walks up might not,

Old 03-11-2011, 10:45 AM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by GreatNorthWoods
I also hate bodywork but if I had someone like that helping, I definitely would feel better about it!

I'm not a perfectionist, so my bodywork is good enough for my own purposes. I do it only because I can't afford to hire it out...
GreatNorthWoods, Your lucky... I'm a perfectionist... Let me tell you it sucks.... I guess that is why I went into Design & inspection... That is why I'm saving the body and paint for later... But I am driving her...

Old 03-11-2011, 04:23 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Craig
GreatNorthWoods, Your lucky... I'm a perfectionist... Let me tell you it sucks.... I guess that is why I went into Design & inspection... That is why I'm saving the body and paint for later... But I am driving her...
I was a perfectionist at one time but I got over it. Life's too short!

Old 03-11-2011, 04:40 PM
lvin4jc
Fleet Mechanic
That's even more inspiring for me because i'm going satin black with mine

Am I the only one that sees a ghostly skull and crossbones in the passenger seat in the second pic?

Originally Posted by GreatNorthWoods
If that's his daughter you're going to get in trouble

Old 03-11-2011, 07:27 PM
coopdagook
Senior User
that is my jolly roger that normally flies over my boat in the summer time. it hangs in the garage during the off season. and that is my wife, put your tounges back in your skulls guys that was the ONLY day she helped lol.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:43 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,398 Posts
wayne here is your pic of the hood ornament.
Lookin' good there, Coop! On all counts!

Now that the wife's going to be your baby-mama, you'll have to keep her out of the garage. All that old auto paint is full of lead, and isn't good for the little one's development. Be safe and healthy.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:54 PM
coopdagook
Senior User
Thanks Wayne, After that day, she decided she didn't like that side of the auto restoration business. now I got to figure out how to safety wire a baby seat in the old truck.

Old 03-12-2011, 05:21 AM
tardster
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I found the key to good body work yourself is to convince your family that its a family project. especially during the hard parts like sanding. lol
Hey coop, can we borrow your helper. It sure would make all of our body work go alot easier...

Quick Reply: "You can save yourself a lot of money by doing your own bodywork"