6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Engine romp/knock/shake after ICP sensor and connector replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 04:36 PM
Piolet
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Engine romp/knock/shake after ICP sensor and connector replacement

Does anyone have any ideas on the following please ....

My truck had the fluttering rpm's and an oil leak right about the ICP area so I figured I'd replace the ICP sensor and connector.

The truck is an early build 2003 with the ICP at the back of the engine.

I started the job on Feb 19th. I disconnected the batteries, removed the degas bottle, removed the air filter assembly back to the turbo, disconnected the harness where needed, removed the FICM and the bracket.

Along the way I found the ccv tube into the valve cover was broken ...

The turbo looked filty ...

Then I broke the spacer nut/bolt to the FICM bracket. I ordered those parts and while I waited the weather got fr*#king cold, and then it snowed, and then it rained. Up shot of all that was I got to reassemble everything and start the truck on March 7th.

I thought everything went well. I replaced the connector too and used heatshrink and new tape. Everything was kept clean. I popped in the sensor and forgot the dielectric grease. Popped it back out applied the grease. Popped it back in.

I also noticed that one of the click connectors on the harness to the FICM at X1 was broken but it still seemed to go in snuggly.

Once everything was reassembled I turned on the glow plugs twice for about 30secs +/- each time. The truck fired right up but now it has this knock or romp or buck, what ever you want to call it.

It starts quick. No problems there. The rpm's stay constant. But now is this stiction I'm looking at? I have no CEL. I don't own any scanners or code readers yet.
The only gauges I have are the dash ones and they are all doing their usual job.

I ran it for about 20mins on the country roads where I live. It shakes noticeably, especially when the rpm's are heading up towards 1,500. Then it can almost feel like I have an engine brake.

The truck is:
F250 early 2003.
6.0L.
213,000 miles.
ARP studs.
Liberator egr delete.
Fuel filters / HCFM drain / oil change / oil filter done just 1-2 weeks before the ICP replacement. No problems after the change other than it didn't cure the rpm's.
Fuel tank is at about 3/4 tank.
Always buy diesel from high volume sources and always double dose with Power Service white cold weather bottle.

I haven't done any FICM or battery voltage tests because it's fr#*king cold up here again & the wind is blowing a gale.
I'll be ordering some rev-X, but does it sound like something else?
All help appreciated. Thank you!!