1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cab power stays on

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 04:26 PM
Texas H.M.
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cab power stays on

OK, here's a question. This morning, I found that the power on my 2000 F350 Crew Cab stays on after removing the ignition key and opening the door. All power stays on (i.e. windows, wipers, radio, HVAC). I've searched and found the posts about F150, Explorers, and other small trucks that mention a corroded wiring harness junction located in the driver's door sill. I pulled the sill plate up and seperated the harness enough to see all of the wires. I did not find this color wire on my truck.

Is this the same fix for the SD's as the lighter trucks or is there a different fix?

Help me, FTE...you're my only hope...

Old 03-05-2011, 07:10 PM
brd7666
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You might be leaking water in your windshield. Your GEM Module might be bad. You might want to look at your accessory delay relay also. If you have water coming in the windshield that is leaking on your GEM Module, that would do it for sure. Good luck.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:26 PM
Texas H.M.
Freshman User
We had a massive rain storm come in last night, so that might be the cause.

Where is the GEM module located and is it available aftermarket?

Old 03-06-2011, 03:34 PM
Texas H.M.
Freshman User
OK, I pulled the fuse block down far enough to get to the GEM mounted to the top which was not fun with the clutch petal right in the way. I did not see any evidence of water (and it would have been obvious with the dust on it). I have tried removing the accessory delay relay and there was no change.

If it was bad, would it give this result? Are there any other GEM's that I should look for?

Mike

Old 03-06-2011, 05:19 PM
_Rick_
Elder User
Young Skywalker,

Maybe check the (Delayed Accessory Relay). It might be stuck in the hot/on position.
You can simply swap it with one of the other relays in the fuse box to test it. I'm not sure if your 2000 fuse and relay layout is the same as my 2002, but on mine it's relay #306 in the fuse box.

Rick...

Old 03-06-2011, 05:49 PM
Texas H.M.
Freshman User
I tried that to no avail. I'm at my wit's end. It's draining the batteries, too.

Old 03-06-2011, 05:53 PM
_Rick_
Elder User
What happens when you remove the relay? Do the lights shut off? or do they stay on? Did you hear it click (the relay itself)? Did you actually swap the relay with another one that you know works to test the circuit?
I could have been more clear in my previous post. You need to actually swap the relay with a known good one to test the circuit properly.

Rick...

Old 03-06-2011, 06:01 PM
Texas H.M.
Freshman User
When I swap with another one of the relays, there is no change. Dome lights stay on, radio works, power windows work....all with the driver's door open and the ignition key is in my pocket. I don't have keyless entry, by the way.

Old 03-06-2011, 06:15 PM
_Rick_
Elder User
Strange,,,

Maybe check your door switch (door jam switch). Those have been know to cause problems with lighting gremlins and would directly effect the issues you're having if one is bad.

Rick...

Old 03-06-2011, 06:21 PM
Texas H.M.
Freshman User
Tried that too. Sprayed PB Blaster in all 4 latches. The door ajar light comes on with all 4 doors when tested independently.

Old 03-06-2011, 06:32 PM
_Rick_
Elder User
I'm wondering if a PCM reset could help. I'm not sure if the delay timer is controlled by it? Might be worth a try.

I'm still sitting here thinking on this for you (I feel your pain). I have some free time so I will try researching this the best I can.

Rick...

Old 03-06-2011, 06:32 PM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

Received 664 Likes on 424 Posts
I think I would open up the steering column and unplug the ignition switch. That should remove power from pretty much everything, except stuff that is still on with the key off. It may be that the switch is simply defective.

Old 03-06-2011, 06:35 PM
_Rick_
Elder User
Sounds like another good option. Pretty easy to do, so that would be worth a try also.

Rick...

Originally Posted by dchamberlain
I think I would open up the steering column and unplug the ignition switch. That should remove power from pretty much everything, except stuff that is still on with the key off. It may be that the switch is simply defective.

Old 03-06-2011, 06:37 PM
Texas H.M.
Freshman User
Originally Posted by dchamberlain
I was wondering that, too.

Rick, how would I reset the PCM?

Old 03-06-2011, 06:43 PM
_Rick_
Elder User
Disconnect the battery for 30 minutes or so. I tested resetting mine a few times in the past and 20 minutes seemed to be the magic number so when I need a reset I just go for 30 minutes to be sure.

Maybe disconnect the battery for a reset and prep the column for the ignition switch test while waiting.

Rick...

Originally Posted by Texas H.M.
I was wondering that, too.

Rick, how would I reset the PCM?

Quick Reply: Cab power stays on